anonymous
Years ago

United V Gong SPOILER

Go Gongers. Prove your worth to the League this season, taking it to the top 5.

Topic #36421 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

No one outside of adelaide and the gong are happy if the hawks win.... go you good thing! United 6 pts in thw 2nd ouch....

Reply #513728 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wow, wheels really coming off at MU.
How do you go from beating Perth in Perth, to losing against Crocs and TWICE against the Hawks.

"Battle for the top 4" just got a whole lot LESS interesting.
Only thing to be decided is who plays who, might as well toss a coin and bring on the finals.
Disappointing when you consider that for a long time it looked like a 6 horse race.

Reply #513732 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Score? Live stats has stopped working for me

Reply #513734 | Report this post

carl  
Years ago

gong by 6

Reply #513738 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Melb 73 Gong 81

Reply #513740 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

76/82 Gong wins. exit NBL Web and reneter to reset the live stats.

Reply #513741 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Ok Ok
Melb 76 Gong 82

Reply #513742 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Goodbye DMAC....

Reply #513744 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

United has been incredibly bad lately.

If they were a race horse there would be a stewards inquiry for sure.

Reply #513746 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Laughable. Can United even really catch us from this point?

Reply #513749 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Even if Melbourne win out from here I think Adelaide have to lose two of the final three to miss out.

Reply #513751 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@GWB "Can United even really catch us from this point?"

They easily still can. This is the run home.

United has @ Cairns, @ Townsville, @ Sydney, Sydney
Adelaide has @NZ, Perth, @Hawks

IF United win all games and Sixers win only the Hawks game then it will be equal and United with go through.

There is also the possibility that the Sixers lose all 3 games and then United just have to win 3 out of 4

Sixers are in a good position but they are still not out of pressure yet.

Reply #513755 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Massive under-achievement for United this year and not the best way to start out under there new identity. Many people had them to finish top 2 this year, just goes to show you can have a loaded roster and still not be a champion team.

Kudos to Hawks though, shame they weren't playing this well from the start of the season.

Reply #513756 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield at half time 7 RB and 18 points against NZ who have not played Pledger yet ??? Thinking the Sixers front court will manage.

Reply #513757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MU had a 6 point 2nd Qtr!

Reply #513758 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't think United is that loaded anyway. Who have they got really? An aging worthington - who hasn't had a great game in atleast 3 years. An aging Barlow? - the same goes, but can hit the three. McCrae? - probably the most overrated import to come to the league in recent times. Kickery? Soft as butter. They have nothing consistent inside and live and die by the three.

Reply #513761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United won't beat, Cairns and TSV 36ers are as good as in.

Reply #513764 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

No on or off court leadership. Need to move Wortho and his attitude out. He's like the kid kicking stones in the playground cause no one wants to play with him. Until someone is honest with him a nd tells him it's his attitude that needs to change no one will...

Reply #513766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

United have a loaded starting five but not the greatest bench with Tomlinson and particularly Walker not having the same impact as last season.

Reply #513768 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@GWB You are close to the money that United are very overrated.

Worthington however has had several great games over the past 3 years but he is getting old. Also no way is Mcrae overrated. He is very talented and a similar player to Ennis.

Kickett is no way a Marquee player and Barlow is overrated.

Reply #513769 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Melbourne tanking to get more lottery picks, oh hang on wrong thread!

Reply #513774 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I find Barlow most frustrating, (at the risk of offending Adelaide fans) he reminds me of Darren Ng, who used to just stand on the wing and wait for a 3 pt shot. Barlow is worse though because he has the size to do something else. I can't believe he was a boomer.

Reply #513776 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You can't believe a 6'9 SF who could defend and can three-pointers at 40% could be a Boomer?

Reply #513777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are done. Think they recruited too many older players and had an unbalanced roster. Obviously the anstey situation didn't help but a disappointing year for them.

Reply #513779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes I don't know if it is their game plan just to have Barlow outside the 3 all the time - but it seems a waste - Barlow was a different player when he played with the Tigers years ago - he can drive to the basket and has inside game - I have been saying all season - why is he outside the 3 pt line ALL the time??

Reply #513782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that MU's roster is unbalanced.
They really have self-destructed.
But for people to say Wortho is done or has not had a good game in 3 years - I don't think you watched much of MU this season. He has been down on form recently but most of his games early/mid season were strong.

Reply #513784 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Townsville beat NZ, I don't see NZ losing two in a row, and 36ers have NZ up next, in NZ.

On that, Perth match is really do or die for us. If we can beat Perth and not slip up against the Hawks, we make it. If we lose to Perth as well and beat the Hawks, then we're hoping United lose to Cairns, and we still make it. If we lose to the Hawks as well, then United will likely make it.

Reply #513796 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Just realised KJ said the exact same thing. But yes, pressure is still on the 36ers. In saying that, at least it is very much in our own hands, and if we can't beat NZ in NZ or Perth in Adelaide then it's as if we have had our playoff shot and simply got eliminated. We are basically playing the playoff series before the playoffs.

Reply #513799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the talk about how "loaded" this Melbourne team was masked the fact that, as others have said, the roster they assembled was unbalanced. I think Kickert has performed as well as you could hope, and probably exceeded the expectations of some. But Barlow's game has become very one-dimensional at this stage of his career. Dennis, whether because of injury or not, hasn't performed to expectations. Certainly not what you'd hope for from a starting import point guard.

They lack a traditional centre. Kickert isn't a typical low post player, nor is he a great low post defender or shot-blocker. And outside of him there wasn't really any big man depth, which led to them leaning on Patton, who wasn't even in their initial full contract roster.

Reply #513800 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"United are done. Think they recruited too many older players and had an unbalanced roster."

Yeah I think the "loaded" label was based on history, not on the future.
Worthington is a great player, but at 31 he's getting on, and trying to carry that front court on his own.
Corletto at 32 appears to be past it.
Barlow (31) also seems to be going down hill.
Kickett (31) ditto.
Walker (30) past it.
It's like the geriatric ward.
Lot of good players play on well into their 30's, but I just think they've got too many who are apparently struggling to play out the season.

I also think that they have realised their season is over, and may be struggling for motivation.

Reply #513807 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Time to rebuild.

Keep three older players and send the rest into retirement so they can bring in a lot of players with potential in their early twenties.

New coach, team-first ethic, and maybe in two years they could challenge for the finals.

Reply #513819 | Report this post

Green 76  
Years ago

If I was Melbourne I would've got a Centre instead of Barlow.

Reply #513822 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well this is turning out to be a very sorry end to a season that looked very promising not all that long ago...

United's achilles heal has been rebounding and interior defense all season. That's remained consistent. But when they've gotten the running game going and shot confidently, it hasn't mattered. Turnovers, and rebounds don't seem to matter to this team- when they run and hit threes they'll win. The last two games have been some of the ugliest stuff I've seen in professional basketball.

In terms of individuals, only 3 guys have had a decent season and the rest have been disappointments to me.

The 3 are obviously Wortho, McRae and Patton. Everyone else has has delivered less than I expected.

Reply #513823 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I should add, it's when they pressure the ball and force the opponent into turnovers, then run and hit threes they are great. But they're a one trick pony. Great teams are multi dimensional and can throw numerous looks at you. Because of the limitations in the make up and balance of their roster, United have not been able to do that.

Reply #513826 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

United Achilles heel is it's coach. Great player undoubtedly but he will go the way of Chris A...... what was his name?

Reply #513845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The person responsible for putting that roster together should be fired immediately. If he's already been fired, then the GM should get boned because Melbourne United were disgusting last night. They can't concentrate and they can't play together.

The current coach should never have been put in the position he's in. He is clearly out of his depth. Ditto for the previous coach.

Reply #513847 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Wortho has had some great games this season but he isn't a great leader. He lets his personal battles with his opponents and the refs distract him from playing the team game.

Reply #513849 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

There would only be a few coaches who could manage the attitude of Wortho on court. He dawdles down court sulking about calls and only puts in an effort when he feels like it. It's like watching an U14 who didn't make it to Div 1. Remove him and I think you will find the team will gel better, and get a decent PG to run the show.

Reply #513850 | Report this post

seriously  
Years ago

Why did McMillan not get court time in the last ???? I would have pulled Wortho for his lack of effort and fitness

Reply #513851 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Tigers/United for all the years have never been known for the defence and nothing has changed.They must make Goorijan there number 1 priority.

Reply #513860 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They were a very good defensive team in the run of four straight grand finals, and last season they were one of the better defensive teams.

This year, when their pressure has been on, they've been the best at forcing turnovers, but their intensity has just been too inconsistent.

Reply #513866 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The lineup is unbalanced but is still extremely talented. The coaching is the main problem in Melbourne

Reply #513871 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

As a United supporter that continues to defend them I have to say its getting harder to justify defending them.
Was at last nights game and poor body language plus lack of outward enthusiasm from both coaches and players was very very ordinary.
How are supporters meant to get excited?????????

Reply #513903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the loss to the Crocs knocked them mentally. It was over for them at that point, poor coaching and a unique blend of personalities haven't helped. No one within NBL circles is unaware of how annoying Worthington is, i true douchebag by all reports. Hard when that is your go to guy, respect wise.

Reply #513908 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Watching the game, I was very critical of United on Twitter and obviously I'm not alone. Very poor body language and effort. Some of that comes down to players, but as much on the coach for not getting and keeping them in line. If your stars are trouble, bench them.

You can't put it down to roster or age. Walker, Corletto, Barlow, Kickert and Wortho are all 30-32 going by figures listed - should be in their prime. Forman is 33, Davidson 31, Coenraad 30, Ballinger 35 - the Hawks seemed able to execute their plays more often than not. Only Walker really relies on athleticism that might fade with time.

Hawks played well (besides against the press). Martin was left to play his preferred casual style, United barely respected Davidson and the others did enough. Carson had two assists to Nevill I was really impressed with.

It'll be interesting to see if Melbourne respond and put up a fight for finals, or whether they lazily phone it in.

Reply #513925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For mine they have already started phoning it in. Hawks win 3 games throughout the majority of the season then pick up 2 in 3 games, against a team who should be more desperate than anyone and they don't even remotely deliver.

Reply #513934 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754