Anonymous
Years ago

JOB: Basketball Australia Media Mgr

I know a heap of people on here slam the poor effort by Basketball Australia to post relevant articles, content, social media, etc.

Well I saw this advertised that might be of interest to some passionate basketball media peeps. Hope someone decent gets the job!!

http://www.seek.com.au/job/28087927

Topic #36439 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

GM job also on offer: http://www.seek.com.au/job/28087906?pos=2&type=standard

Reply #514142 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Problem may be the salary on offer for the Media Mgr role as it is advertised under $70k.

GM role advertised between $100-120k range.

Reply #514144 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Thats very low.As Andrew Gaze said on radio its hard to attract the right people as we cant compete $$$ with the bigger codes.

Reply #514181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GM role at 100K to 120K isn't going to get anyone who you'd really want for the role!

that salary just isn't high enough to attract quality candidates to take the game forward.

Not sure what a Media manager is on in sports but you'd think &70k is a bit lite as well

Reply #514197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$70k for a Media Manager..

You'll barely get a Marketing/Media graduate with no work experience for that kind of money...

Reply #514204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where does it say the salary ranges? Couldn't see it on the advertisements.

Reply #514206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Combine the two roles and the salary.

Reply #514210 | Report this post

Oswald Cobblepot  
Years ago

Howie. Smart move!!!

Reply #514234 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Many such organisations do not pay that well - usually ends up with people in the ones who have a passion for the game and hence willing to make a sacrifice on pay.

IMO, the Media Mgr job should be somewhere between $85-90k and the GM role around $130-140k. Problem I believe is that they do not have the $$$.

Reply #514314 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Could the new media manager work from home perhaps?

Reply #514316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would prefer if BA weren't going to pay 20-30k to the executive search firm to help fill the 2 roles.

Reply #514318 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

A GM with the responsibility and public profile of BA would be looking for $180K plus car/phone etc in Sydney as a starting point and then depending on the candidate this could be more.

Not sure on Media manager but the figures being quoted aren't going to get real quality people.

@Anon mentioned people willing to sacrifice cash for the "love" of the game but in the end if your struggling to make ends meat and similar roles offer more money “passion” for the game isn’t going to help...plus it is effectively still an office job not like your playing or watching hoops every other day!

As a sporting body regardless of passion for the sport we need to get the best business minds available we can afford to really spur the game on and manage it correctly…passion or knowledge of the game isn’t really that important it is all about business acumen

Then again if you ain’t got the cash that makes it really tough!

Reply #514389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The salary is even more unappealing when you consider the position now includes media for SEABL (and I'm guessing a year round expectation to sacrifice weekends).

There were two media staff previously but only one position is being advertised. Not a good sign!

I am also curious to know why it has taken so long for this position to be advertised. The two media staff left before the start of the WNBL season, but yet we are now in February and the role has only just been advertised. The WNBL regular season has been and gone without a single press release having been distributed to to the media. Not good enough!

Reply #514464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish our rep association would pay that little for a GM, our fees may be more in line with the other associations and what we receive.

Reply #514468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is in part, in Victoria at least, a result of BV's and the VJBL's obsession with rapid expansion.

The result of expansion is more associations of a smaller size stretching admin resources too thinly over too many roles.

Nett result is smaller wage pool appealing to unqualified or less qualified people

Reduce the number of associations and combine the admin resource and you'll not only get a higher standard of competition at the top but a better quality of admin and promotion.

Reply #514473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you see the salary ranges on Seek for these two jobs?

Reply #514628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754