Anonymous
Years ago

Foul Rules - Help!

Hey Guys,

I've just started playing comp basketball after a 20 year break. I used to play comp when I was in school and also playground basketball rules. So I don’t know if I actually ever knew all the rules. Now I’m playing again and seem to be getting way too many fouls in the games. I don’t know how much the rules have changes and what I actually do or don’t know. Is anyone able to point me in the direction of foul rules. E.g. I get a lot of defensive fouls against me and admitantly don’t understand those rules. A lot of the time I get these fouls I have no idea why. I’d like to learn the offensive fouls as well. I bought the book basketball for dummies but that had little in it detailing this. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to learn these? You tube or any web sites?

Thanks for your help.

Topic #36503 | Report this topic

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Nice try, Vaughan. Just admit you've made it to being an NBL ref without understanding what it is you're doing.

Reply #515696 | Report this post

Years ago

go do a level 0 course at your local rec centre when they offer you one.

Reply #515698 | Report this post

readthis  
Years ago

google fiba rules 2014 and read them

Reply #515731 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Okay, step one: stop punching the guy.

Reply #515733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the FIBA rules suggestion. Exactly what I wanted :) Most appreciated.

Reply #515743 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Maybe talk to Shawn Redhage, he might not be able to tell you how to stop fouling but he can certainly give you some pointers on how to get away with them ;)

Reply #515765 | Report this post

Simple way to explain most basketball fouls, is its about who initiated the contact to gain an advantage.

Reply #515861 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Talk to the refs after their game and get their understanding on why they called you for the fouls.

Though refs don't always make the right call (don't get me started on the NBL), there is usually rationale as to why you were called for a foul. i.e. you did this with your body or you initiated this type of contact.

Take away those movements/body contact and you will be called for less fouls.

Reply #515888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is sooooo simple, if you play outside the key you cannot be touched, if you play inside the key you have to draw blood before you get a foul awarded to you.

Simple!

Reply #515920 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754