Adam The Kings Fan
Years ago

Questions About Josh Childress (Please Answer)

Hi, I recently had some questions about Josh Childress, that I thout you guys could have some interesting input.

Is Chill the greatest tall around player the league has seen?
I ask this because while I'm not a noob at nbl history I'm surely not very good either so I needed some help answering it.

Will he resign with the kings?
Just wondering what you guys are thinking on this.

Was Chill gonna retire if he didn't sign with the kings or was he still looking at playing?
I heard this being said once or twice and was wondering if it was true.
That's about it. If I think of any thing else I'll tell you.

Topic #36532 | Report this topic

D4444  
Years ago

No, probably and maybe.

Reply #516399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is better?

Reply #516404 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

He's right up there with the best. It's hard to compare him with the imports of the old era, James Crawford for example. But certainly, Childress is one of the best.

There's a good chance of him Re-signing with the Kings. I seem to remember he wanted to or was going to study over here also( not sure if is the case). He has publicly stated he wants to come back so I guess itmdepends on if they can agree to terms.

Doubt he would of retired, there's plenty of clubs out there that would of paid big for him.

Reply #516411 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Better than Childress all around? Andrew Vlahov comes to mind. Vlahov was underrated. The guy was a beast and should have got an NBA shot.

Reply #516412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress is a much better player than Vlahov ever was.

He sounds pretty keen on re-signing with the Kings going by that piece he just wrote on the NBL's website.

Reply #516415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most players contracted to a team will say "they'd love to re-sign" with the team they are currently playing for.

With the way he played here I'd think he could command 1mil + in China, unless he wants to become the Marbury of the Australian league and develop business opportunities here.

He had stretches where he has been as good as any player that has played here especially the games where he was knocking down his jumpshot.

If his jumpshot is off and without great shooters around him he was still great and probably top 5 or so I've seen.

Reply #516418 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it's out of Childress and Leroy for greatest all-around player. Childress is doing a lot of the things now that Loggins did in a semi-pro comp, but Leroy did them for so long it really is hard to compare the two, just glad I've got to enjoy them.

Reply #516425 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Chris Williams was only here for a year but he was pretty damn good!

Reply #516431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J Chill would be right up there. He is an outstanding talent.

I have watched the NBL for 22 years and he is certainly one of the most impressive I have ever seen

Reply #516437 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Vlahov was underrated. The guy was a beast and should have got an NBA shot."

I can't like this comment enough :P My favourite NBL player of all time.

Reply #516439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vlahov did get an nba shot. He tried out with the lakers during his rookie year in the nbl

Reply #516446 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze, Leroy Loggins and Rob Rose are three who immediately come to mind as being ahead of him - at this stage. Ricky Grace as well, I suspect. They all have the advantage of longevity in the league with all-around excellence throughout their careers. Childress hasn't yet had the chance to demonstrate his ability to play at that level for more than this season.

It would be good if he was able to stay around for a few seasons. If he's able to maintain his all-around excellence, I think that would make him a real contender for BOAT. That said, he'd need to become more productive when he's on court to match someone like Loggins.

Over his 567 game career, Loggins averaged comparable all-around stats, to Childress. However, he did that while spending 10 minutes per game less time on the court:

Category Childress Loggins
BPG 2.5 0.9
APG 4.2 2.7
SPG 0.8 2.2
RPG 9.2 6.9
TOPG 2.1 2.6
PPG 21.1 23.1
FG% 51.1% 50.5%
3PT% 25.5%. 39.4%
MINSPG 35.5 25.2

So it remains to be seen if Childress can continue to produce at those levels over multiple seasons. It also remains to be seen if he can improve his all-around productivity while on court to match a player like Loggins.

Loggins played NBL to 43 years of age, Rose to 42, Gaze to 39 and Grace to 38. Childress could play for another 5-10 seasons, so he can achieve that if he wants to.

Reply #516449 | Report this post

Thanks for all your replies guys, it really helped me out. Just one thing. I never looked at gaze as a great all around player but more a great scorer and offender. From the games I've seen( Which is limited) I never saw him as being good enough defensively to be on this list. But what do I know

Reply #516515 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, some of the names mentioned have been all-time great players, but the OP was asking for all-round player... Childress at the time of his injury, was 1st in point AND rebounds, 2nd in blocks, 4th in assists, has any one else in the past been so highly ranked in so many different categories?

Reply #516522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overton, jent must be up there in their brief stints

Reply #516584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't thinks so Wookie I remember hearing that yea was the first player in history to lead the league in points, rebounds and blocks

Reply #516587 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Some players being listed are great players but not great all-around players. Not many in the class of Childress in so many areas, if any, he's 1st in scoring and boards, 2nd in blocks and 5th in assists. Pretty poor effort not to be top 10 for steals though!

Reply #516622 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Vlahov got a lot of hype, he was a great player and teams knew it. NBA shot though, take it easy, no where near that level.

Reply #516633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Carlos Powell also had a bit of a combination of strength and agility. Scored, rebounded and inevitably had some assists.

In his one season, he averaged 28.2 PPG, 8.2 RPG and 4.0 APG. 54% from the field. In one game against Melbourne, he had 50 points, 9 rebounds and 8 assists. Impressive game-by-game stats here.

Reply #516654 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Vlahov was one of the great leaders in the NBL. Strong too, I'll always remember when Cats played Houston Rockets and Vlahov put Clyde Drexler on his ass and scored.

I had forgotten about Carlos Powell, he was awesome. Anyone know where he is at and how he is doing?

Reply #516659 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's leading a campaign to count dribbles before a shot as assists.

Reply #516667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah Carlos Powell was awesome, at not listening to Lemanis and hogging it all the way to yet another eventual loss

Reply #517277 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:43 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754