Train
Years ago

Wildcats equal world record for consecutive post-seasons

"29-straight post-seasons sees the Wildcats equal a world record for professional sport.

The only other major sporting franchise to achieve that number is the Boston Bruins of the NHL, who participated in the Stanley Cup playoffs from 1968-1996.

No professional sporting franchise has qualified for 30 consecutive finals series."

There's a list of the Top 9 teams in the source article below.

http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/1g88mkt2vkntg1xkdv6vr35q25

Topic #36569 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excellent achievement though I can see a few haters popping up later in this thread

Reply #517154 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I wish they had done the t-shirt on every chair thing again! Guess it ended up being a lot dicier this year (bloody well shouldn't have been though, had a very bad record after the season mid-point).

Reply #517157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the Wildcats.

But getting into the post-season is statistically easier in this league (especially recently) than most other well-known leagues?

Reply #517159 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Nathan, the t-shirt on the chair was done for the first semi last season.

Reply #517161 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Two ways one can look at this, I am guessing.

1. An eight team league is easier to make finals in statistically, purely based on the fact there are less competitors.

2. An eight team league is going to be harder to make finals in because the talent pool is condensed among a small number of teams, making every game a tough one.

Also, comparing our season fixtures with that of conference style fixtures in the USA is not equal as some teams never play one another...

Reply #517165 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

They were fortunate that their only losing records in the past 29 years came at the time that the league had a top 8 in a 11 or 12 team comp.

Reply #517166 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

You always have to be gifted an element of luck to attain a record for that period of time...

Reply #517167 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Every time Perth make the playoffs, they add another assistant coach.

Reply #517169 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The lack of a draft, or any sort of special treatment given to lowly teams would also play a part.
We're closer to the EPL kind of system, where being bad grants you no advantage, and being financial gives you a great advantage. Probably not as much here as it is there though.
Whichever way you look at it though, 29 seasons in a row is pretty impressive.

Reply #517173 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Fair effort, but the most titles is more impressive for mine. Nice stat to have on your teams resume though.

Reply #517175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, what team and in what nationally recognised sport has the most titles?

Collingwood?
St George?
Man U?
Lakers?

Reply #517177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did you get Collingwood from ???

They are behind Carlton, pretty sure Boston are ahead of the Lakers also !!

Reply #517186 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yankees, and Celtics isn't it...

Reply #517188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon^^ you have to be from Vic to get the Collingwood joke!

Reply #517191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most titles? Would have to be South East Mebourne United Tigers.

Reply #517198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That list assumes the sporting world = USA & Australia and no one else.

Reply #517207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quick search has found Maccabi Tel Aviv (you know, the Euroleague team) have made it to the Israeli league playoffs 33 straight times (their league started playoffs in 1982). It will be 34 once the 2015 playoffs start in a few months time.

Embarrassing article by the Wildcats considering a major club in the same sport you are involved with has a longer streak.

This was a quick Google search.

Reply #517209 | Report this post

T-Shirt Man  
Years ago

"Nathan of Perth - I wish they had done the t-shirt on every chair thing again!"

Nathan, you wish has been granted

Reply #517224 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Perth are so professional ;)
Vacancy in the marketing area!!

Can I get one of those T's that may be produced which will be so wrong!! Thanks Tshirt man ;)

Reply #517231 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

The t-shirts won't be wrong. They will say "29 straight" or something similar.

Reply #517234 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Actually Trevor Torrance was in several of those playoff teams

Reply #517235 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

"MOST FINAL SERIES APPEARANCES
32 Montreal Canadiens in 93-year history."

Let's find out who has actually had the most consecutive finals appearances in the world!!
It ain't the Wildcats. That's for sure.

Reply #517236 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

Fantastic. A semi meaningless T Shirt.

Reply #517243 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Nobody,

Hate to rely on the wiki, but the NHL post-season streak page says the Canadiens "only" did 24, giving them the 4th best streak.

Reply #517244 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

What is meaningless about it?

Reply #517245 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Fantastic. A semi meaningless T Shirt."

How is a shirt that says "29 Straight" semi meaningless? The shirts, similar to the ones done last year that said (28 Straight) mean exactly what they have achieved.

Unless they are going to have "World Record 29 Straight" then i would see your point.

Reply #517246 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

The 28 Straight t-shirt we got last year is now meaningless...

Reply #517247 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

T shirt says "Red Hot" on it

Reply #517250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody it's CONSECUTIVE appearances, not total (your Montreal example).

Maccabi Tel Aviv's streak is longer than the Wildcats but who holds the longest in the world who knows but a major blunder to announce yourself as world record holders lol.

Reply #517264 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

They should be applauded. Also the fact they have to travel so much hasn't been mentioned by anyone.

Reply #517275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maccabi Tel Aviv says hi - 35 and counting

Reply #517278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

34*

Reply #517279 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

It doesn't matter if you love the Wildcats (as those delusionals over in Perth do :P ) or you hate them like the rest of us, its an enviable record which they might well make their own next year with 30.

The Perth Wildcats are the Collingwood of the NBL. You either love them or simply hate them. However, unlike the Colliwobbles, I have a healthy respect for the Cats record.

And they can thank Cal Bruton, Brian Kerle and the 1986 Adelaide 36ers for putting them on the right path. If he had not recruited Tiny Pinder and James Crawford to join himself in the west for 1987 to combat the 36ers after his major falling out with Kerle and the Brisbane Bullets, Perth might well have remained easy beats for a number of years.

Reply #517280 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I'd like to know more about Maccabi Tel Aviv and the Israeli comp. it seems they've won 30 of the last 35 titles or something. Are they the one "professional" team is an amateur comp?

paul, can you shed any light on their record?

Reply #517285 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Maybe Marvin's brother runs them hahaha

Reply #517297 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As I mentioned earlier, I fear this has almost become a millstone.
It's a nice stat, and you kinda know that if broken, it won't be repeated again in our lifetimes.
But the pressure is on every year to keep the run intact.

There WILL be T-Shirts on the seats in the semis, but to be honest getting a shirt every year that says 28, 29, etc, is a bit silly. I would have saved it for "30".

Reply #517302 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Uwe Blab, Maccabi Tel Aviv are one of Europe's power clubs and hence one of the elite clubs in the world.

The Israeli league is a competitive one with some good teams, but overall wouldn't be at the standard of the NBL. Hence, with the lack of depth of good teams, something would have to go seriously wrong for TA to miss the playoffs.

Reply #517321 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Basically Israel's designated Euroleague club!

Reply #517347 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Okay, so there is a t-shirt but it just says "Red Hot".

Reply #517403 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Well this is semi-meaningless...

Reply #517404 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

well , with the advertising slogans of " 29 straight" and "red hot" I'm not altogether certain that its all just about basketball.

Reply #517406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id say more luke warm at this stage!

Reply #517408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't they just put the money towards a better import combo or marquee guy next season... if they win the title then maybe make a tee for that.

Reply #517425 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Your surely not saying they shouldn't be giving away FREE t-shirts ? And they did win the final last year and make a shirt of it lol

Reply #517426 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I really don't think the Cats need merchandising advice from some random on the internet.

Reply #517427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, exactly way till they've won something. I just think its over kill, but I don't own a pro team, just my opinion.

Reply #517428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh take it easy, its an opinion not a demand.

Reply #517429 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Its all part of the marketing the team does well to keep the fans interested. They're fortunate enough to be in a position to spend money on a marquee player AND give away 13,000 free t-shirts once a year.

Their "poor choice" in Daniels this season is not related to their t-shirt budget.

Reply #517430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a general connection I was making. Its really not a big deal. Enjoy.

Reply #517432 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It also gets the crowd in something *red*. No excuses when the red shirt is sitting on their seat!

Reply #517435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah thats true always look good on tv, NBA teams do it religiously these days. Hey if the club has the coin, good luck to them. Just shows more than anything how crazy the cash flow is from some teams to other in this league. Cant imagine many teams could afford it on top of there normal expenses.

Reply #517436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

now the main site put up the incorrect world record article. amateur hour!

Reply #517445 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

A record in those parts of the world that we give a damn about is too unwieldy a title though.

Reply #517446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

likewise do you think the rest of the world cares about aus?

Reply #517451 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'm sure we don't care enough to find out :D

Reply #517455 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Anon #517428.....I don't think its overkill. A world record is a world record and something to be proud of. I may not like the Perth Wildcats but I can safely say its a record I wish the 36ers had. I'd say its a record every team in the NBL would like to have.

And they have won something. Most NBL championships (6) and they are unfortunately the defending champs.

Damn I hate them lol.

Reply #517567 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's a great achievement. Why the sulking from anon haters?

Other fans would be rapt if their club had the stadium giving out t-shirts and wearing the same colour. It's very common in the NBA, obviously. Builds the brand.

Reply #517575 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@HoldenV8,

D'aww, we hate you guys too!

Not as much as NZ, maybe, but there's still a nice globule of bile set aside for you guys, we promise!

Reply #517577 | Report this post

maccabifan  
Years ago

@HoldenV8 but it's not a world record

Reply #517593 | Report this post

maccabifan  
Years ago

@HoldenV8 but it's not a world record

Reply #517594 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

That username seems so legit!

Reply #517601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"world record" - so Israel isn't part of the world?

Reply #518003 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The "record" was claimed by the Bruins, (typical Sepo's) so I think that's where the confusion arouse.
Even in North American, the record for the longest streak (by a professional team) is held by a Canadian Football team.

Maccabi are an institution in Israel. They play in the Euroleague but also field a team in the local comp. Since the Israeli comp started (in the 50's IIRC) they have won over 50 times, including a stretch where they won for twenty years straight. I'm surprised their streak isn't much bigger, as a I can't imagine they have missed the play-offs often. Aside from their dominance, its a 12 team comp with 8 teams in the finals.

Reply #572288 | Report this post

Fworld  
Years ago

Yet more perth crap.

Reply #572290 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754