Happy Days
Years ago

The Matt Knight appreciation thread

Matt Knight i thought was fantastic last night. Really gave me an appreciation for his game.Hardly says a word and lets his game do the talking.So strong in the upper body.

Topic #36617 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

He's a super player, so solid in pretty much every aspect of the game at both ends. It's such a shame he hasn't been able to stay fit for any decent stretch or else I think he would have a string of All-NBL First Team selections and a Boomers singlet.

Reply #518797 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Doubt he would be a Boomer even if fit. Solid player at NBL level though.

Reply #518799 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No question he would have been a Boomer if he'd had a career mostly injury free. Australia hasn't had anyone else at PF with that level of D or midrange game since Matt Nielsen began to decline.

Reply #518801 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought he was excellent too. Plays both ends, plays smart and doesn't get drawn on any of the chest-beating. On one occasion when he turned after a score and accidentally bumped Wilbekin, he quickly apologised and said it wasn't intentional. There are a bunch of other players in the league who would hardly be so quick to defuse any situation like that.

He had some reasonable post opponents last night in Loughton, Tragardh and Burston. No Redhage, no Hire, Wagstaff hobbled at one point, and Jervis fouling out in under 10 minutes. Didn't complain, just kept at it.

Reply #518803 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree Isaac, towards the end when he needed support, the Wildcats didn't have the cattle to give it to him. He fought on as a bit of a lone hand against the Tiapans who eventually through numbers wore him down.

No NBL player I'd like in the trenches more than Knight, maybe him on my right and Vukona on my left, now I'd feel pretty safe with those two...

Reply #518808 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

That incident with Wilbekin showed the quality of the person. Maybe some of his team mates could take note.Remember watching him play SEABL many moons ago and he has come such a long way.

Reply #518815 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

High character and a high skill guy. Can't say enough positive things about him.

Perth aint all bad:)

Reply #518849 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Matty is a true sportsman, plays both ends.Like mentioned by Isaac when he accidentally knocked into Wilbekin he apologised, seen this happen before also, just Matty's style.

Reply #518860 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

The Knightmare is the perfect NBL aussie center. Does all the hard work, such a strong defender, sweet mid range and consistent free throw shooter. Hes a beast but imagine if he was a few inches taller how dominant he could be

Reply #518872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Born (1985-05-31) 31 May 1985 (age 29)
Burnie, Tasmania
Nationality Australian
Listed height 204 cm (6 ft 8 in)
Listed weight 240 lb (109 kg)

Agree, more of a power forward size, which is probably his position, rather than centre!

Reply #518875 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Agree with all of the above, he is a super player, but gravity does get the better of him quite regularly, especially when players half his size brush past him when on a drive.

Reply #518889 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, gravity has a particularly strong pull out west.

Reply #518901 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

It's all that iron ore in the ground

Reply #518913 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth aint all bad:)
Helped by the fact a few players were out of the game! Left more of the likeable ones.

Reply #518916 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Careful Isaac, don't wake the snake! Cats for life has been pretty quiet since the sweep lets keep it that way ;)

Reply #519011 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

Would love to see the cats go after a quality import centre around 7foot and have matty knight play the power forward (he's only 6"9), redhage/wagstaff at the SF, then beal and marto in the back court. some may not agree, but i think having that plus jervis coming off the bench would be one of the strongest front courts in the league. In saying that, i have always respected matty knights game. very under rated big man.

Reply #519102 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I've really liked the Knight PF and Jervis C combo, have had good results and a powerful inside presence.

Was massively disappointed at Wagstaff's performance as starter, seemed to crap himself :X

Reply #519113 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754