Anonymous
Years ago

BIG V Pre-Season Tourney

What are peoples thoughts/expectations for the tournament this weekend?

Topic #36644 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

My thoughts are that the tournament is getting worse every year which is why less teams are turning up each season. The timing rules are a joke. Unless they have full games what is the point trying to rotate 12 players in an hour time slot where the clock doesn't even stop.

Reply #519537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we even know the timing rules yet. Heard a few people complain that they havn`t even been told the format of thing as yet. All we know right now is the fixtures and that is it.

Reply #519538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tournament for the mens side (senior and youth) will be very low key.
First round of Youth League Mens champ will be much more interesting.
Don't expect last years grand finalists in Waverley and Kisyth to be anywhere near as good as they were last season (particularly Waverley).
Look out for Nunawading they are massive and will win a lot of games. Dandenong will be strong and so will Knox. Mckinnon have a different looking and younger team from the one that dominated Div 1 last season so it will be interesting to see how they perform. Diamond Valley will be middle of the road and I think Bulleen will really struggle. Melbourne have lost some key players and Keilor will be very competitive if they have retained same team as last year. Hawthorn might struggle as well as they were soundly beaten by YL2 Warrandyte recently.
Not too sure about the rest as I so far haven't seen them.

Reply #519539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Mitch Creek playing seabl? Where

Reply #519561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody know what the timing rules are? Can't find them anywhere.

Reply #519564 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Why do you need to play "full games" and "12 man squads" when you are playing multiple games a day....

i'd say that's the reason behind the shorter games. Rotate players from game to game, play multiple opponents (defenses/ offenses) to try your stuff on, all in a couple of days.

Man people are negative these days

Reply #519568 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Spot on Greggo, but don't come around here talking sense please

Reply #519569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't need full time games, but last year's 8 minute running clock with 1 timeout per half was a joke.
Final score of games teams would struggle to get over 30 points

Reply #519570 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I'll drop 30 myself

Reply #519573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah seeing last years scores like 20-18 final score was a joke. That's not basketball

Reply #519594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assistant coaches and team manages having to pay $18 for the weekend is s joke. Like that place doesn't have enough money already.

Reply #519597 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Bring it one week earlier, 4x8 minute fully timed qtrs., two games saturday and two games sunday, no finals.

Reply #519607 | Report this post

HoopsV  
Years ago

Last year the hosts Frankston had 4 x 8 minute quarters no clock stoppage. This year Dandenong have it as 4 x 10 minute quarters with the clock stopping the last 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter and last 3 of the 4th quarter. Teams from the USA, Newcastle and the Central Coast are in the fixture as well.

Reply #519613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That tourney is a joke and needs to go

Reply #519633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$400 to enter for 4 games plus finals is ridiculously steep

Reply #519634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$450

Reply #519643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious? $400 per team is steep?

The cost to provide officials on those 4 games would be about $400 alone... What about the scorers, court hire, finals, admin etc?

Reply #519656 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A nice article on Waverley's Ivan Platenik.

Hard work continues to pay for Big V star Platenik

There's a good chance that, unless you’re a part of the ever-growing Big V basketball community, you probably haven’t heard of Waverley Falcons power forward Ivan Platenik.

If you’re a Big V fan, player, coach or manager, it’s almost certain that you would have.

The 6 foot 7 veteran has consistently been in league MVP and All-Star Five conversations for over a decade, but it hasn’t always been that simple for the slimly built and unconventional Platenik.

Reply #519677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$400 per team for the long weekend

Better way to look at it is 10 players per team = $40 per player for a weekend of basketball less if they take 12 so $10.00 per game if they only play 4 no more expensive than a team sheet on a Friday night at basic junior level where you have to provide your own scorers. Plus pay entry to venue, stop complaining basketball is still one of the most affordable sports for both players and spectators in Australia.

Reply #519692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLus you have to Pay $18 as a player for entry for the weekend, plus assistant coaches and team officials $18 also.

Surely the team entry would have covered that?

Reply #519705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instead of the big trying to find new ways of failing what they need to do is go back to when the tournament was good. Around 7 years ago it was good with fully timed games. They should make a real weekend out of it and have a full dress rehearsal for the season with full stats and good prize money.

This site has many replies each week to big v prac game and so on but has anyone noticed every week the failing big v facebook page asks to post any prac games results and no one ever does because it is a joke

Reply #519721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Draw appears to be up the creek, PSM Allstars have pulled out by the looks and now it would appear some teams wont get the guaranteed minimum 4 games anyway.

Just a mess, they are leaving it late to give clubs adequate notification of changes....

Reply #519746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what happens when you have drongos in charge

Reply #519756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crap Tournament, no teams going, Dump it next season and allow teams to just schedule practice matches instead.

Monkey's at Big V Office

Reply #519766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tournament not run by the BIG V

Reply #519800 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Things can't be too bad, no complaints for over 24 hours! Some good games being played from what I can see, some not so good ones also but thats more to do with the joining of divisions due to the low numbers.

Reply #520063 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

Lack of complaints here doesn't necessarily mean all is well. Have heard teams have travelled from interstate on the promise of 4 games, assuming they are fully timed. Drop outs, draw changes and event running late mean there are actually some pretty unhappy customers.

Reply #520086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish tournament wtf is with the $18 entry?? Other tournaments like Ballarat are free. Just a money making exercise. The Big V should scrap it completely.

Reply #520105 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I never got the chance to go, was it really $18.00 for spectator entry? Is that per person, surely not?

Reply #520124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not $18 entry when you sneak in thru the unlocked side door.

Reply #520131 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Been some good vycm clashes and some shockers.
Sherbrooke Ringwood and Melbourne look like there in for long seasons. Eltham stronger than expected. Kilsyth look very good again. Knox well off last years team. Early days though

Reply #520143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong charged $10 for people going to watch VYCW on Sunday night. Disgraceful. Saw families have to leave as the couldn't afford the entry fee of $60!

As usual, the door staff at Dandenong were providing their exceptional customer service.

Reply #520151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Entry fees for the tournament are horrible.

Lets move on and look forward to the season proper!!

Reply #520152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They weren't part of the tournament is the point. It was the first round and Dandenong were charging $10 per person to see a game.

Reply #520160 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I know we have to pay our way in life, always have and every sport needs its cash flow, not just basketball.

However, if it is true that the above charges were applied I couldn't have taken my family, just too much! Surely for door entry we can come to our senses and make this wonderful game family friendly?

Even VJBL on Friday nights, take note that stadiums charge $2.50 or $3.00 per person, just to watch your little kids play one game. Not much is it, well try adding it up if you want to take a family and maybe pay for a grand parent or two. Surely a family discount at least could be considered?

Reply #520162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes many families who came to watch a single VYC game left due to the $10 entry fee and those who entered clearly were not happy with the steep fee .

Given the high fees it was disappointing that the stadium operators did not use the aircon on the courts but just in the cafe area . While not impacting the games directly it was interesting to experience that no national anthem was played before the VYC games as per normal procedure and also the commentators kept focusing on how how many points each player made as if that was the only important indicator.....

Reply #520165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, where does all the cash go, who benefits from all the money? Did Dandenong Assoc' just take it or is it at BV level that the money flows to?

If it the Assoc, they actually need to declare it in their financial report which must be made available under the Consumer Affairs (Associations & Incorporations ACT)!

Reply #520166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happen with the Frankston - Sherbrook YCM game which Frankston clearly won - but the result was then later altered to a 0-20 result ?

Reply #520168 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

A couple of days on the beach offered greater appeal after alot of teams pulled out.

Reply #520187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it really that much to get in???????????

What a rip

Reply #520219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very poor form by Dandenong.

Reply #520220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before this event happens next year, if it does, can the organisers at least understand that it is a pre-season event for the most part and not be so bloody greedy?!

Reply #520224 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Sounds like it needs a rethink if its going to survive next year.I normally go but with the teams pulling out decided against it.

Reply #520230 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

They need to scrap the entire thing. Players only play it as their clubs force them.

Don't know what the point of it is as It's just a money maker for big clubs.

Reply #520231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do stadiums/organisations have to be so greedy , have they never heard of the saying 'smaller profit greater return'. The more accessible they make these type of events the people will want to (and be able too) come . Bums on seats .dandenong did the same for that WNBL quarter final against Sydney they charged three times the normal price to come in than they did the week. Score, the result was a fraction of the people who came the week previously came to the quarter final the place was empty. Now if they had charged the same rate as usual it would have been a sell out , the canteen would have made a killing probably so to any of the souvenir sellers.

Reply #520244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait a minute, Dandenong run their own canteen and make a profit from it as well? Greedy S.O.Bs!

Reply #520249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw a fair few major injuries over the weekend, I know that will make a few people think twice going forward. that added with some of th things above doesn`t make it as attractive as it once was. Only positive was the convienience of it being local.

Reply #520254 | Report this post

Phobos  
Years ago

The Ballarat tournament has no door charge, costs about the same to enter a team and the prize money is 3x the amount...

This year all games were fully timed 8min quarters.

So why do Dandy and the Big V need to charge so much and yet deliver less?

Reply #520256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone has to pay for the peanuts they are being paid.

Reply #520267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is entry so much? Surely Dandenong needs to justify this.

you would think the team entry would cover those costs.

I have not heard a single person say a good thing about the preseason tournament.

Reply #520280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next year, NOT DANDY!

Reply #520293 | Report this post

chucka  
Years ago

Frankston was just as bad.

Just get rid of it as no one actually wants it

Reply #520297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Werribee stadium will be up and running next year, maybe if the people who run that venue can be reasonable with pricing and put on a decent event it can be saved?

Plus much easier to get to than Dandy or Franky!

Reply #520299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Werribee easier to get to then Dandy? For who Geelong and Werribee team!! Dadny is right on a freeway so probably one of the best situated venues.

But they need to sort out the other issues, no issues with the costs as long as the even that is put on is of a good standard. Mixed comps, teams pulling out etc was not what teams signed up for.

I know why they left it so late for the info packs and fixtures to come out now.

Reply #520305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Dandy handy to anyone who doesn't live in the hills and play a banjo?

Reply #520307 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I disagree that no one wants the tournament, but I do agree that it needs to change. There is no reason why we can't push the season back one week to allow for some rest after playing 4-6 games in 3 days (which i think is too much), and the Big V can supply some rules to follow in regards to admission and entry costings as it was all a bit too much IMO.

I would think that most teams would be happy with 3-4 games over a 3 day period, I certainly am not fussed with finals however maybe look at making it a straight 1st Pool A Vs 1st Pool B final scenario, just shortens the weekend a bit.

Why wouldn't we look at having an Imports Vs Aussies show case game on the Saturday/Sunday night? Would be a great way to introduce and show off all of our talent! Put on a 3 point shoot out and a dunk comp and we would attract a reasonable crowd, just some food for thought.

Reply #520309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ashke sit down you`re making sense, there is no place for that here.

Reply #520341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make it a 2 day tournament only without finals.

2 games a day on Sat & Sun, go home that night and have an extra day to recover (equal for all teams) or do some things at home or with the family.

I know a few teams made the final night a team bonding night/exercise which is also beneficial and less chance of injury, depending on the activity of course....

Reply #520358 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754