Curtley
Years ago

Angus Brandt wins NBL ROY

It has just been announced at the kings awards night that he has won the award. Apparently no NBL awards night this year.

Topic #36646 | Report this topic

Darryl  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #519603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 more reasons why the NBL is a joke.

Reply #519606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of my favourite posts this year. Thanks Curtley.

Reply #519616 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Why did the NBL take this path to present the awards, makes the league really look like a bush league!

Reply #519627 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Article on AdelaideNow quotes Andrew Gaze as saying it's a reflection of that state of the league at the moment. That view makes it sound pretty grim.

Reply #519630 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

No wonder there is no Awards Night...

The Yarra River Preservation Trust is still fuming about the last one.

Reply #519632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What night is the NBA awards night on again?

Reply #519635 | Report this post

peterward  
Years ago

The last National Book Awards night was on 19 November 2014.

Reply #519650 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm not saying it is right but this is the same method the NBA use.

If this is a representation of how the league is at the moment and that we are a bush league then shouldn't the same be said for the NBA?

Reply #519669 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

So what if the NBA does it. Going on that logic then perhaps the NBL should pay its players millions of dollars next season, that would be a good business model.

The NBL needs any attention it can get, the NBA doesn't. Totally different situations.

Reply #519674 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If Gazey is jumping off the fence to speak out against something, then it's pretty bad...

Reply #519700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one person is calling it bush league for doing it this way, when it is the same as one of the best leagues in any sport in the world...

Reply #519702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and no matter if they had a dinner or did it this way, 95% of people would be reading about it on twitter or facebook!

Reply #519703 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

If the league had advised the fans a week prior to the announcements, then it wouldn't have seemed so amateurish. It just came out of the blue for almost everyone, especially the "stand by for breaking news" tweet only half an hour beforehand. The idea that the league MVP would be first announced by the club who he played for was ok, but choosing to retweet something from Conklin's team mate was a bit of a mess too.

Why do we need an awards night? Because its always been done? Because other codes do it?

Reply #519704 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Back to the original topic, who were the other contenders? I'm guessing Tai Wesley wasn't eligibile, so who does that leave? I know Cairns have a couple of rookies, who else was there?

Reply #519708 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

And FWIW, I have no problem with the NBL not having an awards night, but they could have handled the announcements a bit better. Luckily I'm more focussed on the GF series, can't wait for game 1 tonight.

Reply #519709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(i'm the anon above)

I will give to you the way it was handled/released was not right. But we dont need a formal dinner to do these awards.

Normally the final voting is in the media release, that way we could see if Wesley was eligible.

Reply #519714 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

one person is calling it bush league for doing it this way, when it is the same as one of the best leagues in any sport in the world...
This completely misses the point. By miles.

The NBA have a process that is familiar to many and supported by media.

With the NBL's attempt, the forewarning was buried in barely related press releases and media people (usually supporters of the sport) were openly critical.

The problem wasn't doing it without an event, it was doing it in such an amateur and half-arsed way.

Reply #519736 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754