Anonymous
Years ago

Is Ben Simmons a 3 or 4?

Great scouting report here: http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ben-simmons

But is he a small forward or power forward?

Does he shoot the 3 very often and at what percentage?

Also what is his true height? I've heard anywhere between 6'8 to 6'10?

Thanks.

Topic #36757 | Report this topic

eponymous  
Years ago

Hes a playmaking forward, whatever that is.

Doesnt shoot the 3 often but I read he did shoot it at a decent clip this past year, around 40%.

And at the worst he is a bees proverbial from being 6"10".

Theres a recent photo on twitter with LBJ and he has a good 2.5 inches on him.

Reply #521794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So I guess a point forward is considered more of a 3 man?

Reply #521796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think with weight gain, up to 250+lbs, He will most likely play the 4 at nba level. If he stays lean, around 230 lbs and improves his outside shooting, then he fits in the Lebron category. A 3 that can also post up and shoot from distance, get to the basket...

Reply #521799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That scouting report was written in 2012 before Ben spent a few years of playing High School basketball, so his skills have developed and has been seen by many more scouts since then.

20 years ago, is he a SF or PF would or mattered, but in today's game where it is basically positionless he can play either. You have 7 footers that shoot the 3 ball, point guards constantly attacking the rim and can't shoot, point forwards handling the basketball, and heck, even Dyamond Green who is 6'7 pinch hits at C.

The main thin is can he guard wing players and post players combined seeing that is is so tall in High School he really only checks post players on D. Offensively he has the handles to the play on the wing and attack.

Reply #521800 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

^^^
what he said.

If i had to guess he will be listed as a SF coming into the draft, but as with KD, LeBron, Gay, Hayward, Green, Deng, Parsons, Leneord (i.e: every bballer) will spend time playing positions 2-4

Reply #521803 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Alagappan-Muthu-EOSMarch2012PPT.pdf

Of those 13 positions, I'm hoping he's either an "NBA 1st-Team", "One-of-a-Kind" or at worst an "NBA 2nd-Team"

Reply #521847 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

A bit like Tobias Harris, a big that can play 3 and 4

Reply #521859 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

Apart from the left hand, he reminds me of a young Michael Beasley (who was a beast in high school and college).

This makes me extremely nervous (I'm not talking about drugs, rather a guy's game that doesn't develop further).

I don't think he's a four. Compare his current game with NBA 4's (Kevin Love, David West, Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, Blake Griffin, LaMarcus Aldridge etc.). I don't think he could guard them single coverage or take them in the post on offence.

I can't see him getting to 250lbs (i.e 114kgs), I think he will be like Paul George but a bit taller and around 230-240lbs (i.e 104Kg-110kgs). Not many 3's can pull off 250+ and keep their knees and explosiveness

Reply #521879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having seen him play live this year, my opinion would be that he is a 3 going forward. Obviously the strongest part of his game is his size combined with his athleticism, add into that the fact that he can handle the ball a little and has been fostered in the Aussie system, thus he can pass and knows where to throw the ball much more than US players. He does have a jumper especially considering his age and the fact that deep shooting hasn't been his strongest suit previously.

Once NBA skill development guys get the chance to develop him I don't think it is too far fetched to think that he could become the best player Australia has produced.

Reply #521887 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

They call them cobination guards and combination forwards over there, he is a combo' forward.

Reply #521897 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Think Chandler Parsons, but more athletic although not as good a shooter.

Will play some 3 as a slasher, or stretch 4 depending on the system. He's 6'9 but 220-odd lbs.

Funny how he's very different to Dad.

Reply #521999 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Think a less drugged up Beasley

Reply #522031 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754