Anonymous
Years ago

Frankston Big V

Have the issues between Frankston and the Big V been sorted?
Noticed the VYCW 'won' both their games on the weekend but look like they will also be given the dreaded 20-0 walkover scoreline.
Does beg the question, are Frankston players elgiible for end of season awards?

Topic #36895 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Again, this looks like an issue the league just has to deal with (earlier post about Sherbrooke is the other example). Granting opponents a win via forfeit might be fine once in a season because of misadventure, but for it to be ongoing is terrible. Better off removing the offending team from the competition.

Reply #524750 | Report this post

SF6  
Years ago

Feel sorry for the kids, morale is not good down there I hear.

Reply #524753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a great look for either party, what's the issue?

Reply #524754 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

Jolly good times at Bardia Ave. Board and staff need to put their egos aside and do what's best for the kids!

Reply #524767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I understand, Frankston are not putting the Big V logo on their uniforms and have been told they will forfeit games until they do. That's what I was told, right or wrong, happy to someone closer to the action to provide more precise detail.

Reply #524784 | Report this post

Pretty sure you'll find that's it for an outstanding fine from last season for not doing all the necessary game day things.

No Court Announcer
No programs etc.

Reply #524785 | Report this post

Mad Hatter 3.0  
Years ago

As SF6 you have to feel sorry for the kid, if as the posts suggest, it is an game administration issue causing the forfeits. Not fair on them when it hasn't been because of any of there actions. Needs to be sorted.

Reply #524789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The logo thing is for VJBL not BigV I thought? totally different leagues.

Reply #524812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No logo on both is what i heard not just vjbl

Reply #524836 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

The reason is unpaid fines for not meeting game day requirements. Apparently it totals $150!!

Reply #524849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously though some of the BigV venues need to get their shite together.

The game day management and presentation at many leaves a lot to be desired.

It's not that hard to have court wipers organized, people who can run a shot clock, Secure facilities for the officials, something half decent for the post game etc.

Reply #524850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Big V. Big V is state league. A game booklet has no impact on the game. Neither does a post match function. Referees need a room sure. But the rest is bells and whistles.

Reply #524852 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Good call. Just have a league where you do want you want at your home venue. So, don't set any standards, don't have any expectations, etc. Let home clubs do what they want, present the game how they like, have untrained/skilled people do scoretable and stats etc etc.

Reply #524854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good response HO, however up to a point I see where 852 is coming from. Some of the bells and whistles are a bit over the top and certainly add no value because of the lack of value and therefore lack of attention clubs put to them.

The game day program from most clubs is just a cut and paste straight off the Big V website of things we all have already read during the week. Most court announcers are of no value and the aftermatch has gone from its original intention of country people getting a feed (or city people who have gone to the country) to being either a feast that could feed a small country to 6 dim sims and a packet of snakes.

Then the speeches, "thanks to yadda yadda yadda, well done to (add opposition name here) on your win/loss, you played hard, we knew you would. To my guys, keep working". The same every game it is repetetive and predictable.

As HO says, keep up the standard but some of the requirements are now over the top IMO.

$150 outstanding and they take all their points from both teams? Seems excessive unless Big V have said we've had enough?

Reply #524856 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Good stuff. What is now over the top though?

Is having a Courtside Announcer over the top?
Is having a game program over the top?

I think for a lot of these things you have minimums and the league has to expect those minimums, or you do indeed become 'domestic'.

I think the league has dropped the requirement to do the anthem, but other than that, game presentation is not over the top in terms of expectations. So there has to be penalties for not delivering on it.

BTW - we don't know if the $150 is correct, same as we don't know if the speculation about the uniform badges is correct.

Reply #524859 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The most important part is the aftermatch food!!! You rate a club on what they dish up :)

Reply #524861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stinks of typical arrogance you get with dealing with top people at that club. Yet what has the club actually achieved to warrant it?

Reply #524863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The atmosphere at SEABL games and SEABL game night presentation at Frankston is pretty good. When it's a full house the crowd is right there on top of the game.

Reply #524866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was publically posted tot he clubs that it was a matter of outstanding fines that had not been paid since last year. I am not sure however if Frankston pay the fines that they get the wins back from this season.

Reply #524869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great atmosphere there last year for the Womens final. Anzac Day game will be packed our again versus Dandenong.

Reply #524872 | Report this post

SF6  
Years ago

They mustn't care about their kids then, if they wont pay the fine. Their BIG V game day operation is terrible.

Reply #524878 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The kids and parents must have been given reasons why their playing for nothing otherwise surely you wouldn't stay and play for them

Reply #524879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO is spot on, without the formalities, minimum standards and "bells and whistles" what do you have?

Just a fully times "domestic game" environment....

Hardly inspiring for the players or crowds.

If clubs can't meet a minimum standard for gameday presentation and operation why are they in it? Get out and stop watering down the product.

Reply #524880 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

Agree with SF6. They don't care about their kids, or anyone else for that matter.The sooner they put their inflated egos aside, and do what's best for the club, the better!

Reply #524881 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

One would question whether they should be permitted to continue to play in the competition. Whats the point for other teams to play them knowing they've won already. YOud be better off having a bye not playing them and giving your team a rest.

Reply #524898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The weekly write up simply put a scoreline for each game at 20-0 but the Blue Carpet has players who play for Frankston being mentioned. Mixed message from the league? Can these kids get awards at year's end?

Reply #524900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Maybe the game results will be reinstated once they pay the monies...??

Reply #524901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was only $150 you'd reckon the players would do a whip around, 20 players at $7.50 each not much to pay.

Reply #524908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should the players pay??????????? It is up to club to put that sort of stuff on. If you can afford SEABL teams and paying players crazy amounts for a state based comp you can afford to have people in place to do the things that are supposed to be done.

Reply #524910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree but they aren't, so sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet

Reply #524911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most YL Teams get the players to provide a plate of food for the Post match....

Its only at SEABL Level the club provides the aftermatch..

Reply #524916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Anon, that's not quite right, I know of at least a couple of clubs where the after match is provided by the club, although not YL.

Reply #524935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah Pudding, once a moron always a moron. The place hasn't been better since club moved you on. Once again spreading misinformation and being libelous. Maybe we can discuss Monday?

Reply #524986 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

Not sure what's happening Monday, but I only report facts as heard from all the Big V parents and players! Maybe you guys should concentrate more on looking after your players and not calling people morons! It seems the whole basketball community is laughing at what was once a respected club. Jolly good times at Franga!

Reply #525006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did Pud land, hopefully not our club?

Reply #525011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$150, what a joke

Reply #525014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if you don't have this particular 'Pud', no doubt you have you own 'Pud', lurking in the background, disgruntled, with no ability to move on, they're everywhere...

Reply #525015 | Report this post

Elwers  
Years ago

Just fix it FDBA, stop feeding your own egos and fix it, the players should just walk if they are playing for nothing because someone at the top feels the need to think their bigger than the game

Reply #525068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a risk Big V will step in and say enough is enough?

Reply #525075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently, it's been sorted out

Reply #525080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't accept being called a moron Pud. You're allowed an opinion.
Big V board member suggested the fine is a "bit" more than $150.

Reply #525133 | Report this post

Pud  
Years ago

The moron name calling is just another example of the arrogance of the people that run that place. Doesn't bother me that much, but it's a concern that they treat all their players and parents that way too! If the figure is higher than what I'd been told, then there's still no excuse not to pay it so the kids can play for points. Unless of course they're struggling for money?

Reply #525134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Pud, there seems to be a lot of rigga to your Frankston bashing, where does it come from?

Reply #525144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could Frankston be struggling for money, there tight as with it.Should be loaded.

Reply #525149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I play for frankstons YL team and you guys are all nuts just throwing around comments like we should stop playing and stuff. Have you guys considered we don't just play for wins, we also play because we all love to play the game.

Reply #525464 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

yeah. stop being nuts.

Reply #525468 | Report this post

Elwers  
Years ago

They need the cash to pay all their staff and mates

Reply #525471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fine owed to Big V is around $1600!

Reply #525815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on the Big V!!!!

If they are owe money they should not be allowed to play. They are lucky they are still on the floor!

Reply #525848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754