Anonymous
Years ago

Ben Simmons withdraws from NZ series

TEENAGE basketball sensation Ben Simmons will not be joining the Boomers against New Zealand in August but Australian coach Andrej Lemanis is excited by his undoubted potential.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/ben-simmons-out-of-tall-blacks-series-but-future-looks-bright-for-australian-basketball-says-boomers-boss-andrej-lemanis/story-fndkzqrr-1227301964567

Topic #36898 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

It's understandable in this circumstance. I am sure he will be there in rio. Gives an untried player a chance to shine. If we have most of our swag of NBA guys and dudes from Europe, we should be strong favourites anyway

Reply #524793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is no surprise at all. First Ingles, now Simmons, and no doubt a few more to come in the several months between now and the NZ series.

Reply #524797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have lost our sf's...
Broekhoff and blanch field are the next best options?

So does that mean Simmons will not play boomers or emus this year?

Reply #524799 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

International basketball just isn't very high on the agenda for players unless its the Olympics. Its not like soccer, cricket or rugby where playing for your country is the highest honour.

For a basketballer, playing in the NBA is all that matters.

If Aussie basketball had a major profile here and playing for the Boomers gave you a household name, it may be different, but that isn't the case at the moment.

Reply #524800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would he still get a shot at the Olympics if he didn't contribute in the lead up to rio?

Reply #524802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally understandable. It's understandable for pretty much every player at or above his level IMO.
That's why I continue to LOL at statements like this:

"he won't be joining an Australian roster for the two-game series against New Zealand in August which likely will include NBA-based Andrew Bogut, Patty Mills, Matthew Dellavedova, Aron Baynes, Dante Exum and Cam Bairstow, and European stars such as David Andersen, Brad Newley, Ryan Broekhoff and Chris Goulding."

Does anyone here think it will "likely" include all of those players? I sure don't. I would be stunned if all of them made themselves available.

Reply #524803 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ Probably, if he turns out as good as they say

Reply #524804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield!

Reply #524806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Would he still get a shot at the Olympics if he didn't contribute in the lead up to rio?"

Would USA drop Lebron James if he didn't contribute to lead up?

Reply #524807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they could drop Lebron...

Usa could put 5 or more rosters out and still win in rio.
Replacements for lebron just off the top of my head.
Leonard, Anthony, Durant, Hayward, George, derozan, gay.

Australia doesn't have that luxury.

Reply #524813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of a difference between the best player on the planet and a 12th man on the end of the bench yeah?

Reply #524814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12th man?

Reply #524816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Simmons will be the best player for Australia as Lebron James is the best player for the US. My point is that the Boomers are not going to drop Simmons because of his talent.

Reply #524819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can't be that good.. didn't even make the WC squad last yeaR!!

Reply #524820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo. Simmons is the second best sf we have currently available after ingles. I think he will play in 2016, possibly even start ahead of ingles.

Reply #524822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes that good

Reply #524824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh forgot sake yes this kid and that's what he is a kid has talent in high school competition but seriously come on against the American MEN .... Give him another four years he would but right now they would have him for breakfast. He has YET to even step up against men he never plays out of his age bracket and that right now in un19 and he's not even suiting up for that age

Reply #524842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus his jumpshot is broken. He's going to be good but is no way above Ingles right now!

Reply #524845 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was really looking forward to seeing how Ben would go, was told he was well out of his depth at camp last year, but I'm sure he's improved since then.

Hopefully he can improve enough to contribute in Rio, but it will be tough to play much of a role with zero senior international experience, as Dante Exum showed last year. Simmons should def be in Rio though for the same reason Dante was in Spain.

Reply #524848 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I love the "he's going to be a number 1 pick therefore he must be the best Aussie ever" shtick.

Heard the same with Exum two years ago. Simmons, from what little I have seen, would have as much chance of making an impact now in international competition as Exum did in Spain.

He has potential to be brilliant, but has a long way to go to reach that potential. Lots of players with infinite potential never reach it. Let the kid play and grow up and lets see where he is at in a year, two years, four etc...

Reply #524857 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

He has all of the tools but I don't think he could play against men right now and get away with half of it. He will mature, and I think he has that star quality. I think he's going to be a brilliant player. I don't see him being a starter on the Boomers next year though. In 2020, I expect the team will be literally his.

Reply #524862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he will far exceed expectations.
Simmons will go one or two in the draft.. Depends on how well skal labsierre does at Kentucky.

Reply #524871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Simmons has always been a leap ahead of Exum. Two different players. Simmons going into the NBA will be like Wiggins going into the NBA not like Exum. Don't get me wrong Exum is going to be stud but Simmons is more NBA ready.

Reply #524874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Past Winners of Morgan Wootten Player of the Year award:

Shaquille O'Neal
Alonzo Mourning
Shawn Bradley
Chris Webber
Kevin Garnett
Zach Randolph
LeBron James
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant
Ben Simmons

Past Winners of Gatorade Player of the Year award:

Alonzo Mourning
Stephon Marbury
Chris Webber
Kobe Bryant
Baron Davis
Lebron James
Dwight Howard
Kevin Love
Andrew Wiggins
Ben Simmons

Past Winners of Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award:

Alonzo Mourning
Jason Kidd
Chris Webber
Kobe Bryant
Lebron James
Dwight Howard
Kevin Love
Andrew Wiggins
Ben Simmons

Is he that good?

Reply #524896 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well watch the videos Anonymous. He looks the goods to me. Hes dominating high school ball.

Reply #524907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was a rhetorical 'is he that good?' In response to other anonymous throwing up the question. He's winning the awards of the best and absolutely tearing up high school.

Reply #524909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio for sure...

Mills 1/2
Delly 1/2
Exum 1/2
Broekhoff 2/3
Newley 2/3
Ingles 3/2
Simmons 3/4 < < <
Blanchfield 3
Motum 4
Bairstow 4/5
Bogut 5
Baynes 5/4

Blanchfield kicking butt atm in nz.
Averaging 27 pts, 7.3 rbds, 1.7 asts. Although, not shooting very well.
Another possibility would be to ditch blanchfield, move broekhoff or Newley to sf and add Goulding to sg.

Reply #524912 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754