Mick
Years ago

Aron Baynes cops two Blake Griffin dunks

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/playoffs/2015/04/20/0041400161-sas-lac-play18.nba/

Topic #36933 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Total dickhead move with the thread title.

Reply #525529 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Also spelt his name wrong, by the way.

Baynes wasn't even matched up on Griffin for 2 of the 3 dunks.

Reply #525531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Offensive title Mick

Reply #525534 | Report this post

dean uthoff  
Years ago

Dickhead Mick

Reply #525535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always has bean.

Reply #525536 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Chill out guys it's a joke it's been used many times before

Reply #525537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Title = a twitter thing. Its pretty common when someone gets dunked on or crossed up pretty badly. I actually think his wikipedia page was updated with RIP today.

Baynes is great though. He plays so hard, challenges every shot and doesn't care how it looks. He'll probably just knock him to the floor next time.

Also horrible defense by Diaw on the snug pick n roll.

Reply #525538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would rather a guy who is willing to put his body on the line and contest rather than be weak like so many other players who just concede the dunk

Reply #525540 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

Baynes had a solid first half but it was an eminently forgettable second. Continually late on rotations and was mercilessly manhandled at will by the Clip's bigs.

Compounding matters was a number of fluffed layups seemingly due to Deandre simply being on the court somewhere.

Not a game he'll look back on fondly but he'll be better for it in game 2. Looking forward to his response.

Reply #525541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow you get dunked on and you are dead. Offensive title IMO.

Reply #525543 | Report this post

Sirjump  
Years ago

Those were some great dunks but as said above, isn't the take away that Baynes got up and contested them where others wouldn't have?

So many highlight reel dunks you see guys moving out of the way at the last minute - not Baynes.

And, when the dunk *is* contested and the guy still makes it (as occurred here), isn't that a better athletic spectacle from the crowd's perspective?

Reply #525546 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Strong thread title is strong.

Must stay.

Reply #525548 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hopefully he comes back out with a hockey mask in game 2!

Reply #525555 | Report this post

Dept  
Years ago

Shame associated with being dunked on is retarded. Coaches want players contesting every shot. If you contest a large number of shots around the basket, including dunks, you're going to get dunked on a number of times. It's just probability. You'll also get blocks you never would have got without contesting.

It's equally true the other way around. Shame associated with having your layup or dunk blocked is equally retarded. You want your players attacking the rim. You do that enough, you're going to get your shot blocked a whole bunch of times. You'll also score a lot too.

Reply #525556 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

He has at least 3 more games to make up for it.

Reply #525557 | Report this post

shootingblanks  
Years ago

"The take away is that Baynes got up and contested them where others wouldn't have."

Others would've rotated off their defender and met Blake *before* he elevated for the dunk.

I don't blame him for being hesitant because you're leaving Deandre open for the lob, but you still need to make the play and trust your teammates to have your back.

Yes it's admirable Aron contested the dunks but the fact he was on the receiving end of some vicious facials as a consequence of failing to rotate is unlikely to placate his coach much.

Reply #525559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More responses than when someone actually passes away.

Reply #525561 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I thought it was a pretty questionable thread title.

... until I saw the carnage.

Ouch!!

Reply #525563 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idnICrEhNsI

You really think Baynes was *that* slow rotating? He also had DeAndre Jordan to worry about. Griffin just made some awesome moves.

The first one he was beaten fair and square off the dribble. That was the worst example of Baynes' defense.

The only thing noteworthy is that it was Baynes who made the final contest in 3 dunks. Not shameworthy. It was Joseph who was providing the embarrassing matador defense.

Reply #525567 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He actually played well today.

He got caught out trying to clean up bad defense by other Spurs on a couple of them, but the carnage remains.

Reply #525568 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

On another viewing, I really don't see the issue with his rotating. He rotated across fast for a big guy. Many other bigs his size wouldn't have even made it there for a contest.

Reply #525569 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Dumb in so many ways. Poor title, and poor reasoning. if he doesnt contest, Pop pulls him.

Reply #525570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All three dunks were huge but he travelled on the first and third dunk. You could also argue that the third was an offensive foul.

Second dunk I don't understand why Baynes tried to challenge it. He's not going to compete with Griffen in the air. He should of fouled him hard.

Detracts a bit from dunk when you have to travel to do it.

Reply #525572 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I hate how much people (and even the NBA themselves) hype up the idea of 'been posterised'.

It's really not a big deal.

It's one of my growing dislikes with basketball - the emphasis on flashiness and 'style plays'.

Shout out to Baynes for challenging the shots regardless. I'd much rather a player challenge a dunk, then cower away because he doesn't want to get posterised.

Clippers were celebrating like they had won the NBA championship on the final dunk.

I'm an old school kind of guy - just sad to see how the NBA is dominated by the "entertainment" aspect. Hence why I love watching European, traditional, old-school styled basketball.

Reply #525574 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The NBA isn't dominated by the entertainment aspect. It's actually the most sophisticated form of the game in the world. It's just that there are amazing athletes that do stuff like this every game and if you have a pulse then you should enjoy that.

Reply #525660 | Report this post

bobby tables  
Years ago

FWIW,2 of the dunks were offensive fouls. Blake pushed Baynes hands out the way.

Reply #525667 | Report this post

Sirjump  
Years ago

The comments about Baynes rotating miss the point of San Antonio's defensive scheme, which is clearly to double-up on DeAndre Jordan and accept the consequences (and for the record, I agree with rjd that Baynes rotates pretty quickly on those possessions).

This is what good, multi-pronged offences do - they force you to make defensive choices, and live with the consequences. In the case of the second and third plays in this clip, Griffin got open, Baynes rotated and got dunked on. The next time down the court (or the next game), maybe Baynes makes the rotation and blocks/alters the shot, maybe he doesn't. Ultimately, his job is to challenge those shots and to not care if he's on the receiving end of the occasional poster as a result.

Reply #525674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double up on Jordan? Because of his astute offensive abilities?

Reply #525696 | Report this post

Sirjump  
Years ago

Clearly anon the scheme involves doubling up on Jordan *near the basket* because he is an elite near the rim scorer. Don't worry - there's no double-teaming Jordan around the 3 point line!

Reply #525795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are kidding yourself....... Double team Jordan in the paint? Wow

Reply #525962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes zero minutes in last game that the Spurs won, just sayin

Reply #525963 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754