XY
Years ago

Spurs @ Clippers Game 5

Game 5 action saw the Spurs down 14 early before Patty Mills entered the game.

3-3 from 3pt land including with the And1 early to drag the Spurs back in front.

I suspect Beast mode might be invoked in this thread.

Topic #36991 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

Ha, funny if he keeps it up I will be happy to call beast mode time...

What about 'Hack a De Andrea' is this tactic really required?

Reply #526527 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It seems to work. They just do it until he is harassed out of the game.

DJ's missed free throws in game 3(?) amounted to the something like 6 turnovers.

Reply #526531 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Of course it works. The Spurs are scared to drive against him so if he's on the bench he isn't a presence. He's shooting around 30% for the series from the FT line.

Splitter looks really injured, and I'm sorry to say but Baynes is a big downgrade because he can't really catch the ball (and especially can't pass: his post ups are a black hole) and fouls people too much. Parker doesn't look the same as usual either.

At the end of the day, it's just going to be about whether LA's superior starting 5 can build a lead big enough that their bench won't blow.

Reply #526532 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And this is a really uncharacteristic high turnover game for the Spurs. What are they doing?

Reply #526534 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not sure Baynes is getting enough ball when he should to gauge an opinion like 'he can't really catch the ball' Mick?

Jordan on a double, double already. He is a beast!

Reply #526535 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not tonight. They've gone away from Baynes post ups / P&R feeds after the first couple of games.

Reply #526537 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The downside of that though is that he has had a couple of nice dives where he could have been hit with a pass and finished and they've gone back out to a shooter. He still isn't 100% trustworthy catching & finishing though, so it's a tough decision to make

Reply #526539 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes, the decisions have been not to go to him, so he hasn't been able to redeem himself. Let's hope they can give him that opportunity.

Reply #526540 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I've never seen a rim protector affect the Spurs like this before. Their whole game has been altered by Jordan's presence. Guys who are normally fearless attackers are just not driving at all any more.

Reply #526542 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree, now Baynes on 4 fouls due to Jordan, he is a monster just as the commentators are calling him!

Reply #526544 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What about that travel call on Griffin? I was surprised they called that, in the NBA they let that stuff go all the time!

Two steps, a dribble and fouled on another two steps!

Reply #526545 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Spurs need to really make Paul and Griffin work harder on D if they want to win.

Reply #526547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously Mills stunk it up while he was on the court. Hasn't been back since.
Surely if you have a guy who is hitting shots, you keep him playing not sitting for 12 minutes to cool off??

I know everyone will say Pop knows what he's doing but he seems to be either stubborn or wants to look after his boys.

Reply #526549 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Where is Patty?

Reply #526550 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Parker is really hurt too...

Reply #526551 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Parker is really hurt too...

Reply #526552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now they are looking hamstrung because of fouls. Will be interesting to see what happens in the 4th

Reply #526557 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I don't know how smart it was to use Patty to foul DJ. They'll need him for a bit yet, and guarding Paul uses up fouls as it is.

Reply #526558 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Q: would Austin Rivers start on an average NBL team?

Reply #526560 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Whenever Baynes tries to contain an opposing ballhandler out of a P&R it ends bad for him. Pop should alter the coverage when Baynes is on the floor so he just sticks at the rim at all times. He picks up like 3 fouls every game from being too slow and trying to guard a wing or PG.

Reply #526561 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Game on boys, what a final quarter!

Reply #526567 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Clips kind of blew it, but winners are grinners, GO SPURS!

Reply #526572 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Baynes must have stunk it up to get a plus 9 on the box score, 3 more points than Chris Paul hahahha I love that stat

Reply #526601 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

+/- is a terrible stat.

Reply #526611 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Lolllll Austin rivers would be top 5 players in the league

Reply #526614 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I doubt that very much.

Reply #526615 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Remember of course that Jonny Flynn is widely considered one of the NBAs biggest busts. Averaged 17.5, 4 and 6 in Australia. The worst NBA player is gonna be pretty close to the top of the semi-pro NBL

Reply #526621 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Jordan McRae averaged 20 5 and 3 here. Good enough to play for the joke of the NBAs Philadelphia 76ers D-League team.

Reply #526622 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Yes, we know the NBL isn't the NBA Hoopster. No one was under any illusion that it was. But James Ennis seems to be doing all right for himself.

Reply #526623 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Refs cost the clippers that game, so sick of seeing Ginobili and Parker flop year after year and continue to get rubbish calls. Also, while that Jordan putback late was offensive interference, the one on Matt Barnes earlier definately wasn't. Gotta feel a bit robbed if you are a clippers fan.

Reply #526624 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Only reason james ennis played here is because Miami couldn't afford to sign him. Please don't for a second think playing in the NBL made him good. He was already an NBA quality player

Also if deandre learned how to shoot a god damn free throw we'd have won. Embarrassing he's been around so long and can't put an uncontested shot from directly in front in the basket

Reply #526625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe we need a new rule, the free throw dunk? ;)

Reply #526628 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"so sick of seeing Ginobili and Parker flop year after year"

You do realise the Clippers flop, whine, grapple, hold, elbow, cheap shot, etc. more than any other team in the league?

They don't realise that if they keep treating the refs like dirt and keep acting like petulant children, they won't get calls. Chris Paul literally cries and stamps his feet like a baby when a call doesn't go his way. I am not joking. He cries like a baby who wants his dummy, jumps up and down and stamps his feet. All the other Clippers do the same, because baby see, baby do. I love rewinding their reactions on league pass and watching in slow mo for comedic effect. It's beyond a joke.

They flop and whine so much the refs never give them the benefit of the doubt, because they contest every. single. call. it's like the boy who cried wolf. Next time down the floor the ref won't pay their advice/protest any notice because they are full of B.S.

Reply #526645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They aren't the only team that does it Mick, but they do it far more than the Spurs, so it does look worse.

Reply #526761 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Spurs are no angels in that department either...although they used to be much worse.

But the Clips just take it to a whole 'nother level.

Reply #526845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back on Mills, Wasn't it only 1 (2?) game/s back that Pop said they need Mills to score like that all the time?
Just doesn't make sense to then sub him out for extended periods a game later when he is the only one making shots at the time.

Pop seems to definitely favour his big 4 at the expense of others who are plating well. I get that those guys have delivered over a long period of time for him and have been / are superstars but Parker has been ordinary this series and looks sore.

I'm not a "Beast mode" fanatic but when a guy is playing well, give him a chance to go cold before you sit him FFS

Reply #526883 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754