Isaac
Years ago

The Advertiser poll on Greatest Sportsman

The Advertiser is running a poll on the greatest sportsman of all time.

Representing basketball are Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain.

You can submit your vote and why you deem them to be the greatest sportsman by emailing [email protected].

I don't know if they're trying to sway the vote by accompanying the poll with a giant photo of Lance Armstrong and the headline "Is this 'freak' the greatest?' though...

Topic #3705 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

Its such an open topic I dont think it is possible to distinguish between sportsmen (and women) in different fields of endeavor. Sure Lance Armstrong has proved that he is a superb athlete and has - due to his incredible drive pushed his body to its limits through years of training and discipline. Does this make him a great sportsman or rather an incredibly focused and driven athlete who has got 100% of his potential from his God given natural attributes. Can he hit a cricket ball the same as Bradman? Does this make Bradman a greater sportsman than Armstrong? What about the Hawaiian born Sumo Wrestler in Japan (cant remember his name but he was MASSIVE) who was undefeated for years, Im sure he would squash Armstrong in a second but there is no way he could ride a bike. Does this make either one greater than the other? (probably a poor example but im sure the Japanese Sumo fans still cnsider the big guy as the greatest)
Every sport has their "greatests" af various eras and debate about things such as is MJ greater than Wilt, Tiger over the Golden Bear etc etc will always be great talking points over a few beers.

As for Armstrong lets celebrate him for what he has achieved, 7 in a row after coming back from a life threatening condition. Unwavering focus on his goals to ensure he harnessed 100% of his potential. In an article a couple of posts down on Shawn Kemp there is a few "what ifs" and "could have beens" mentioned about him..................Lance Armstrong will NEVER have that said about him as he has done it all and there is nothing more to prove to anyone.
Well done and enjoy your retirement!

Reply #43154 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

Statman,

I think the name you are after is Konishiki?

Dont ask me how I remember that!!!

What you say is right though - throw a Michael Schumacher into the equation and there is no way to compare "apples with apples" as they say...

Reply #43155 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not that there aren't issues of timing and tactics regarding other competitors with cycling, but I do have more respect for an elite basketball player like Jordan.

In cycling, you're just pushing your body in a given direction (though I know that's simplifying it somewhat). In basketball, and in offense alone, Jordan was trying to evade defenders just to get the ball or running through established plays, then operating within a pretty strict set of rules (on par with soccer or netball) that restricted how he could move with the ball, what parts of his body could touch it, how often it had to touch the ground (etc) and all the time still trying to evade swiping defenders, then either trying to beat his defender to take on yet another player or two protecting the basket 10' off the ground, or make a shot from 15-25' out over a defender's hand and ignoring a screaming crowd.

A cyclist has superb pure stamina and other things, but it goes beyond that for a basketball player adding a fair range of skills to the equation that mean, for me, it surpasses netball (has confines, but less movement with the ball) and soccer (more emphasis on passing opportunities) or motor-racing (more or less split-second decisions). Probably worth also mentioning tennis -- quick movement and tactics, strong element of precision on top of that.

The difference in accuracy requirements is notable, but imagine archery, where you have to jump for most of your shots, you have to hit the target while some idiot is trying to get their hand in the flight path, and you have to bounce your arrow before you shoot it. ;)

Reply #43156 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Avanti, Statman ...

I think the Sumo guy you are thinking of is Ake Bono

Reply #43157 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

I think you might be right too!!!!

Maybe Konishiki was hawaiian too..

Reply #43158 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Yep Ake Bono he's the one - good work Skyhook. I remember seeing him on Wide World of sports with Gibbo. Funny stuff when a little guy (of probably 250 lb) would come up against him and just bounce off - then one swipe of his hand and into the crowd the opponent went.

Reply #43159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I recall many years ago a similar question over who was the greatest sportsman. I believe it limited to certain sports. What happened was that the performances of an individual was compared to performances of peers in the same sport to determine how much better you were compared to similar sportsmen and an index determined. I recollect Don Bradman won easily. I recall Babe Ruth as one of the others but not much more. You can't answer the question as it stands; is there a difference between a sportsperson and a athlete dedicated to one basic discipline. I'd like to be as half as good as any of them!

Reply #43163 | Report this post

bremo  
Years ago

so that means that if you make begative remarks about THE POWER it will go to the club hohohohohohohoh merry xmas

Reply #52698 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:26 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754