GWB
Years ago

Boomers to be named in June -

According to a Boti article, the Boomers will be named in June without a formal selection camp.

He will name 12 players a month before our first warm up against Lithuania. We will be playing Lithuania and Slovenia for 2 games each leading to the qualifiers.

12 players - who will they be?

6 probably name themselves.

Topic #37120 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think I could name 12 threads about who might be picked... ;)

Reply #529208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For what its worth -

Delly
Mills
Broekhoff
Baynes
Bogut

Exum
Newley
Blanchfield
Goulding
Bairstow

Anderson
Gibson

Reply #529244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see who gets picked but barring injury/fatigue

Gibson will definitely not be needed if you have Delly, Mills & Dante.

Motum is a must as a PF

Its always good to bring in atleast 1 new guy to continue development and exposure, this time Blanchfield is making a good claim.

Maybe Andersen's (note the spelling) time is up but no one else is really staking a claim at the moment, possibly one of the bigs from the Uni games team my make break through...

I think with a limited lead up continuity and quality of team personnel will be a smart way to go...

Delly
Mills
Broekhoff
Baynes
Bogut

Exum
Newley
Blanchfield
Motum
Bairstow

Anderson
Goulding

Reply #529247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers = pick the best players via past performances in the green and gold and what leagues they are currently playing (ie nba players are in).

Opals = Run as many camps as possible and pick players based on how they play at camp and also based on athletic testing results, with past performances in the green and gold factored in.

Reply #529252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this is for the qualifiers...

Mills/dellavedova/exum
Broekhoff/McCarron
Ingles/newley/blanchfield
Motum/bairstow
Bogut/baynes

Vs

Tait/T.webster
Penney/C.webster
Vukona/Abercrombie/Te rangi
Fotu/loe/Bailey
Adams/pledger

Reply #529253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opals...
5'7 Wilson/5'7 lavey/5'10 Clydesdale
5'10 ebzery/6'2 kunek
6'2 Talbot/6'1 jarry/6'3 Blicavs
6'4 penaluna/6'4 burton
6'8 Cambage/6'5 batkovic

Reply #529254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please no more Gibson talk

Reply #529255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garrick unproven(could replace Clydesdale). Depends if you want a 1 or 2.
hodges and snell past dew Imo. In with the new... I reckon.

Reply #529257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles won't be playing anon

Reply #529258 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Not sure how, but I completely forgot about Motum. Absolutely, Motum should be on that team.

Reply #529261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Simmons unable to play? That kid can flat out ball. Start him.

Reply #529272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

P.G. Delly, Exum
S.G. Mills, Goulding, Newley
S.F. Broekhoff, Simmons, Blanchfield
P.F Bairstow, Motum
C. Bogut, Baynes

Reply #529274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Boomers = pick the best players via past performances in the green and gold and what leagues they are currently playing (ie nba players are in)."

Finished 12th at the World Champs .

"Opals = Run as many camps as possible and pick players based on how they play at camp and also based on athletic testing results, with past performances in the green and gold factored in."

Finished 3rd at the World Champs.

Reply #529284 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Simmons in unavailable.

Also, Anonymous - there is no comparison between the standards of international mens, and womens basketball. In Mens basketball, there are a top tier of 2 teams, and then the next 13-15 positions are truly a fight where anyone can beat anyone on any given night. In Womens Basketball, you have maybe a top 5 of competitiveness (which Australia has been in the top 3 of since forever) and after that, a lot of minnows. You cannot compare the two. The conducting of the camps as you listed has no cause and effect relation to the results of the tournaments. Difference in talent depth does.

"P.G. Delly, Exum
S.G. Mills, Goulding, Newley
S.F. Broekhoff, Simmons, Blanchfield
P.F Bairstow, Motum
C. Bogut, Baynes
"

Pretty much - if Simmons were available I think this would be spot on. Simmons is not, so that leaves the position open. Do we go for another small forward? Another Guard? Another big man?

If you were going for a another guard, you would have to think we would be looking yet again at a Gibson/Martin/Greenwood type of player. It also might not hurt (don't laugh) to have a Cam Gliddon or Clint Steindl 12th man for length and spot up threes. If we are looking small forward, where do we really go for that? Do we really have other prominent small forwards? and aren't most of our guards combo guard/forwards anyway? IF I were choosing, with everyone healthy, I have always wanted to see what Drmic can do. But do you choose him for a competition this vital? After being off for so long? I have to think Mitch Creek has some small chance here actually.

Do we go another big? It wouldn't hurt to have another Mobile 4 man in Petrie, it wouldn't hurt to have a stretch 4/5 like Anderson.

For mine, that spot is between Martin/Gibson/Greenwood/Gliddon/Creek/Petrie or Anderson.

Reply #529286 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Should be interesting to see how Bairstow goes. Will he be raring to go, with new tricks learnt from Pau Gasol? Or will he be a bit timid, having been on the bench for way longer than anyone would like?

Reply #529287 | Report this post

billy hoyle  
Years ago

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - STOP suggesting Anderson he is so done.....He has not produce never helped Boomers win and blocking an opportunity for a young guy to slide in and develop....

When you have Bairstow and Matom paired with Bogut and Baynes you have 4 capable players to play 2 positions with both Bairstom and Matom capable of sliding back and guarding a 5 in a pinch..... Take a young guy who can stretch the floor guard multiple positions and is mobile......in a perfect situation Simmons would be that guy........Anderson is slow, cant rebound below the rim guy.....Its not knocking him he is simply done......

I dont know who that young guy is but we need guys who can athletically impact the game or can stretch the floor with shooting and drive the ball to the basket from the top.....In both situations the guy has to be mobile enough to guard smaller and tough enough to guard a big if needed......

POSITIONLESS BASKETBALL PEOPLE!!!!

Reply #529291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pick this team please

Delly 
Mills
simmons
maker
Bogut

Exum
adel
bolden
baynes
Acuil

humphries
mading

Reply #529293 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"
Delly
Mills
simmons
maker
Bogut

Exum
adel
bolden
baynes
Acuil

humphries
mading
"

Did you not read the post til this point? Simmons is NOT AVAILABLE!

Can I also add, this is a team based on hype alone. You have filled it with a bunch of inexperienced teenagers and you think we could build New Zealand with it? Half of those guys have not played against a man who is older than 25 years old. It is ludicrous.

"I dont know who that young guy is but we need guys who can athletically impact the game or can stretch the floor with shooting and drive the ball to the basket from the top.....In both situations the guy has to be mobile enough to guard smaller and tough enough to guard a big if needed......

POSITIONLESS BASKETBALL PEOPLE!!!!
"

We don't have simmons this time, so we don't have that young guy. If you are looking for a 4 who can stretch to back up Baynes/Bogut/Bairstow/Motum I think you are left with Petrie. He certainly isn't young - in basketball terms - but he has the skill set.

Only possible first time Boomers I wouldn't mind are Blanchfield and/or Mitch Creek to fill the Ingles void. Lets not list kids who have not proven anything anywhere. This isn't a meaningless series against China - this series matters.

Reply #529324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure anon 293 was just taking the piss GWB.
Besides he forgot Gibson

Reply #529326 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thread is bouncing from the ridiculous to the pointless with some small amount of common sense in between, LMAO...

Reply #529327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C - Bogut/Jawai
PF - Baynes/Bairstow
SF - Ingles/Simmons/Broekhoff
SG - Mills/Newley/Goulding
PG - Delly/Exum

Would be my team.

Only thing i might change is switching Jawai or Bairstow with Motum.

Reply #529330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"C - Bogut/Jawai
PF - Baynes/Bairstow
SF - Ingles/Simmons/Broekhoff
SG - Mills/Newley/Goulding
PG - Delly/Exum

Would be my team.

Only thing i might change is switching Jawai or Bairstow with Motum."

Didn't realise this was for qualifiers which means no Simmons. If he's the only player that's unavailable then just swap him for Motum.

C - Bogut/Jawai
PF - Baynes/Bairstow/Motum
SF - Ingles/Broekhoff
SG - Mills/Newley/Exum
PG - Delly/Exum

I think this is our best team possible or close to it. You could have Bairstow or Motum start at PF and have Baynes come off the bench but i like the idea of a Bogut/Baynes twin tower rim defence.

Also it's a bit light on PG's but Ingles can play point forward aswell.

Reply #529339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meant Goulding in thar third SG spot instead of the Exum double sorry.

And thank fuck there is no Andersen anymore. Worse player to ever but on a boomers jersey.

Reply #529340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Ingles either for NZ

Reply #529341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then I'd start Broekhoff at SF, give Newley minutes at SF and add another PG like Gibson.

Reply #529345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson gets a mention again....

Reply #529347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly/exum
Mills/McCarron
Broekhoff/newley/blanchfield
Motum/bairstow
Bogut/baynes

1 of Goulding or jawai.

Reply #529348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron that's a big call

Reply #529371 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not getting this Mccarron thing. Lets see how he does in the NBL first.

Reply #529379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons is badass

Reply #529384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mccarron 6'3 215lbs (slightly shorter 3cm... but much bigger than Goulding, more athletic, quicker, considerably better defender)
D2 best player (metro state- a better school than some d1s-no doubt)

Stats:
20.8 ppg, 5.7 rbds, 4.6 assists, 1.1 stls
51 fg%, 84.4 ft%, 40.5 3pt%

You can't compare Europe to college but I think he deserves a shot.
And Goulding hasn't had a great season...
Gouldings a shooter but this guy can beat you off the dribble, shoot, create and defend.

Reply #529385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A player like McCarron isn't going to be plucked from a D2 school and go straight into the senior national team.

He would need to be invited to a camp and outperform a lot of other players. He won't get a chance to do that before the NZ series.

Reply #529390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ummm.... World university games.

Reply #529391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope to see McCarron in the nbl

Reply #529402 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am not sure where else he would go. But it looks like a nice rookie year for the NBL, as we will likely get Trist, Greenwood and Mccarron

Reply #529447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio
Mills 1/2
Delly 1/2
Exum 1/2
Broekhoff 2/3
Ingles 3/2
Newley 3/2
Simmons 3/4
Maker 4
Motum 4
Bairstow 4/5
Baynes 5/4
Bogut 5

Reply #529591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ Maker's name being there

Reply #529593 | Report this post

W  
Years ago

Surely Mitch creek gets a look?

Reply #529678 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

After speaking with Lemanis, I think you will find he will be sticking with the majority from last year's World Cup team and making very few changes for the NZ series - hence not needing a selection/training camp.

Out:
Ingles

In:
Bogut

Players on the edge (IMO):
Gibson - 2014 team
Motum - 2014 team
Andersen - 2014 team
Maric
D Martin
Greenwood

I only added ball handlers as additional options...obviously you could list many more players.

The 'players on the edge' have been part of the Boomers program for years. Obviously, we will have to wait and see. I think if everyone remains healthy, we can probably expect just the 1 change: Bogut in for Ingles - at least for the NZ series. Means Goulding may see more action.

My article: The Road to Rio: Boomers to be selected without training camp

Reply #529684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work Damian. Nice piece.

Reply #529688 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think Mitch could get a spot as a shut down defender. You could put him on a Kirk Penny and probably hold his numbers right down.

Reply #529689 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754