BLAZER
Years ago

referee availability

can anyone shed some light on the situation with ref's and BASA.

Went to play game the other night and had no ref show up. Both teams were there each with 8 players.

I understand that ref numbers are down, but should BASA have a contact person or number for scheduled ref's to call if they can't make a game. This will allow the ref contact person to call the team's involved in the game. I'd prefer to get a call 1 hour before a game to say don't go and the reason rather than turn up and have no ref turn up.

How would it work if every nominated team was required to supply one preferred ref and one back up ref. This would obviously mean 2 ref's for each game. Another obvious would be that your ref(s) would not be able to ref the games of the club.

This sounds like i'm having a winge, i guess i am, but a 70km round trip for a game of basketball where the ref doesn't show (maybe unforseen circumstances). If a team doesn't show, a forfeit fine is imposed, if a team doesn't have 2 scorers, a fine is imposed. what and how should players be compensated if this situation arises? Should both be given a W? Should players have to make another night available to reschedule the match?
Any thoughts....

Topic #3713 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What grade was this?

Perhaps each coach could've refereed?

Ask the spectators...

Surely the canteen lady could've done the job! ;)

Reply #43303 | Report this post

Neal Bridgeman  
Years ago

Blazer,

Oh how I would love to have too many referees!!! We might then be able to get rid of some of the ones that should not be doing any games at all. We would also have them under pressure to show up, perform, and improve, whereas now, ther is very little pressure. It is a battle just to get games covered, let alone with quality refs.
Situation is that we currently have far too few, doing too many games each on each night. This contributes to even more refs giving it away, let alone going to a stadium no one wants to go to (e.g. Flinders Uni), for a paltry $12 - $15 per game.
Understandable that every player there is furious. I would be too (and have been when my partner for the game hasn't showed!). However, there is a competition By-Law that states that if there are no referees available, then the coaches are to referee the game. This applies for seniors games just as much as juniors.
As you can probably guess, that is an option considered by very few, for many very good reasons. But the By-Law is there, so in fact, the games could have gone ahead if someone were to put there hand up at the time.

Reply #43306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find that some of the problem actually lies with referees being informed that they are rostered. Countless times I have heard of referees being rostered and not actually told or asked.

But there are the select few little shits that pull out at the last minute.

Reply #43317 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

I'm not trying to bag ref's. With my post I was not questioning the quality of the ref's either.

I am trying to generate enough talk on the issue to see if it will be addressed and if any results come form it. Obviously it is a known problem, so why has there been no pro-active response to improve the existing situation.

Neal, what about a travel allowance for ref plus the game rate. It's not all about the financials.

You also highlighted another issue being the venue's. Why is it that there are stadiums within the city that have 3 courts and BASA schedule games at Flinders Uni. I understand that there are social competitions, but shouldn't the cream of basketball get preference over basketBRAWL comps. The quality of social comps are going downhill fast, shouldn't BASA be going to the managers of these venues with the help of ministers and exclusively using these venues for district ball.

I also know there is a home and away basis for the scheduling of games, but if one team never has their home court available, why should they go to morphettval to play the "home" team 2 or 3 times that same season???

How about flat team fees rather than individual player fees. This would guarentee minimum revenue each game, not as unpredictable as having 5 players for one game and 10 the next. Eventually ref's could be paid more if that's all it takes. Funds may be generated to put into development of refs and not relying an "quality" refs crawling out from under rocks. Answer this, how do you become a "quality" ref?? Could the answer be as simple as developmental training and positive guidance.

Are the issues with the system and the controll and running of it rather than the refs themselves??

Reply #43361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

blazer asked and answered so many times it has become a boring topic

it just becomes another critism of refs and quite honestly we don't need it

Reply #43363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Thu 9 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754