Anonymous
Years ago

Kestleman's Offer REJECTED?

Heard a very startling claim today, from somebody inside one of the NBL clubs.
Supposedly the majority of teams voted AGAINST Kestleman's offer, but get this, Nick MARVIN and his allies pushed it through.
The reasoning is this:
Apparently the revised offer really does nothing for struggling clubs despite Kestlemans promises. But what it does do is prop up the NBL and ensure that there will be a competition. Perth and apparently Auckland are profitable but depend on the existence of an actual league to play in. Kestlemans offer will actually sudsidise the league, and promote in the big markets which is good news for the big clubs.
Apparently he had to ammend his plans to get Marvin's support, so it is now much more focussed on the League and major city markets, than on helping struggling clubs.

This person also reckons that Wade, the supposed independent chair is basically a puppet of Marvin and the Bendat family. He reckons that Wade's mouth only moves when Marvin has his hand up his arse pulling the strings.

Topic #37137 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is your source.... Without putting a name to it, really just negative banter.

Reply #529602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also this person claims that Kestleman was well-intentioned but that because of the price of Marvin's support he has really been sucked in to spending his money on Marvin's agenda.

Reply #529603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Who is your source.... Without putting a name to it, really just negative banter.

If I said it was Boti, would that make it more acceptable? LOL.

You really think I'm going to out my contact on a public forum and cost him his job? Get Real.

Reply #529604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure at all.

people move on, this is BS

Reply #529605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

replace sure with true above

Reply #529606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then why even say it...

Reply #529607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if your source is happy your on forums dribbling on about it then. If you won't give up your source, then Id say it was said in confidence.... nice.

Reply #529608 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

If this is true its very disappointing. Wouldn't you rather there be promotion in big markets than what we have now, which is nothing at all?

Reply #529609 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

I suppose the good news is that the offer has been ACCEPTED not rejected as the title says.

Wonder what this means for the Bullets bid?

Reply #529610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the OP got the title of the thread wrong.

Reply #529611 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Oh great. Not just ANOTHER thread about "the offer" but blame it all on the evil Dr Nick.
All we need now is show how it disadvantages Adelaide due to home-town reffing,
and we'll have the Hoops trifecta of shit.

If Marvin controls the NBL, why would he push for a deal that gives that control to Kestleman???

Sure, the Wildcats need a league to play in, but so does every other team. I'd go further and say that the cats have more to gain by keeping up the number of teams, than they do from NBL marketing.

Reply #529613 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

If all the offer does is guarantee a league for next season then it isn't worth giving up 51% of the league. IMO, the only giving up that much of the league is if he guarantees all current clubs and expansion teams.

The NBL are really thinking short term here, what prospective owner wants to start a team that he only has 49% of. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is how the deal works he has 51% of all the league and its teams.

Reply #529614 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Calling it .... The OP is full of horse dung !!

Reply #529622 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

And what is Marvin's 'agenda'?

Money? Marvin's team makes $1m a year, probably more than every team combined.

Bendat's companies make the Wildcats $1m look like spare change, he doesn't need more money.

Power?

Marvin GAVE up the NBL board chair

Reply #529627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And turned water into wine. All hail Nick Marvin!

Reply #529628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He turned Hoops in to whine.

Reply #529637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7/8 teams accepted the original deal

The deal needed 8/8 votes to be accepted

The last voter pushed their power to modify the deal to be more favourable for them

1/8 only cares about what's in it for them and not what's good for the league

Reply #529638 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If Nick Marvin and the Bendats really wanted to control the league why wouldn't they make Marvin the NBL CEO and use the Bendat's wealth to 'sponsor' the leagues growth.

Reply #529645 | Report this post

anonamouse  
Years ago

I have an inside source I can't divulge that Nick Marvin has offered free handy's to all Wildcats season members, to be dispensed during time outs during the season.

Reply #529646 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

To be honest, maybe it is the regional markets that are actually holding the league back. There is a limit to how much the league can grow if we have teams in smaller regional cities. Thats why i am a big believer of a 2 tier national league.

If the salary cap is around 500,000 for the 2nd tier then regional teams can stay profitable whilst giving the cities a good product. With only big markets staying the Division 1 comp, we would likely see a rise in the talent and crowds I believe.

Run Tier 2 through winter, with more teams. Then Australians playing in Tier 1 can still make some extra cash for a second tier team. Tier 1 would feature only large markets in the larger stadiums, and only the best teams.

The NBL want to go either the smaller regional way or the larger stadium way. Why not go both ways...

Tier 2 would be a longer season from early April to late August
Tier 1 would run from early October to early March.

This gives tier 1 teams around a month and half to run training camps and prepare for the big season.

Reply #529653 | Report this post

doit  
Years ago

baller#3 how many tier 1 teams from big cities?

You only have 7 teams in Aust now, and you are saying most are NOT from the big cities, therefor not tier 1

Name your tier 1 teams

Reply #529664 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

^ I am not confrontational, I just don't get the 2 tier theory.

So in tier 1 (big markets), we have what? Six teams? Syd, Melb, Perth, Adel, Bris and Auck? Or with Wellington and another Melb team, eight? Either way, still a horribly small league with too many repeat matchups, which has been one of my major problems with the NBL over the last few seasons.

The tier 2 thing, IMO just won't work. Who will care about it? We barely care about our tier 1 now, if the future tier 1 is the elite league, then the future tier 2 will be viewed as bush league, and they will never afford a half a mill salary cap.

Why would a fan in Cairns give any credence to their team in tier 2, when they know that tier 1 is the top of the heap. Maybe if that fan is a hoop junkie, but otherwise I think the general fan's interest is lost.

And what sponsors would be interested in funding tier 2? I'm guessing that tier 2 "with more teams" means regional centres from all over Australia. So who's gonna pay for Cairns to travel to Hobart and Canberra and Ballarat?

I love reading these theories, and I wish they could work, but I have seen too many things fail in basketball in this country over the last 30 years to be optimistic about anything.

I think any form of the NBL is gonna struggle in this country for the foreseeable future in a sports saturated market where the sport itself has a VERY wobbly reputation.

Also, with the global nature of sport these days, I can see EVERY game of NBA very easily, and can pretty much see any Euroleague or NCAA game as well, why would I watch a 3rd tier, 6 team league even if it is the league in my country or representing my city?

So I say, let Kestleman pump his investment in and let's see where it goes. IMO there is absolutely nothing to lose, except for Perth and Larry. I think the league is doomed and there is a guy there now, who wants to inject some cash and see if he can lift it. If it doesn't work out, then he hands back his % and says "well, I tried!".

I understand that I'm being negative, but it just feels like the sport, at least the top level of it here in Oz, is circling the drain.

Reply #529666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Son - "Hey Dad, can we please go watch United play the Kings for the 12th time?"

Dad - "No son".

Reply #529667 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

The teams would be Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, 2 Sydney, 2 Melbourne, NZ. By big market I mean each team should have around a million people in the area.

2nd tier would be of very good quality still. The regional team now wouldnt be spending the Million available right now, so most likely would outfit a reasonably similar line up.

Tier 2 talent wise would be somewhere between the SEABL and the NBL now. There would still be teams from the major markets in this league, they dont have to be regional, it just takes the pressure off.

Instead of having to get 4,000 people every game to break even, it would be around 2,000. Townsville and Wollongong would go from struggle town to probably the richer of the clubs.

Teams for tier two would likely still be perth, adelaide, brisbane, NZ, 2 melbourne, 2 sydney (But serperate franchises to the Tier 1 teams) but then the opportunity to get more regional teams in now exists.

I would try to create a 16 to 20 team league in this tier 2. I would get another team each from VIC, NZ, WA. Plus add in the regionals now of Townsville, Wollongong, Cairns. Then add a Darwin and TAS team. Thats 16 teams, plus the opportunity for more of the regional teams to enter to fill the 20 spots.

Reply #529685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 Tiers wouldn't work.

Let's just stop that conversation right now.

Fans only turn up in Townsville, Wollonggong and Cairns when they are winning, there is no way Hawks would break 500 in a 2nd Tier.

Reply #529702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 Tiers wouldn't work.

Let's just stop that conversation right now.

Fans only turn up in Townsville, Wollonggong and Cairns when they are winning, there is no way Hawks would break 500 in a 2nd Tier.

Reply #529703 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

^ This

Reply #529705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree the two tier thing just wouldn't work, our top tier league struggles as it is and not much more than friends & family care about SEABL, the already in place 2nd tier.

If regional fans for whatever reason are losing interest in Townsville or Wollongong now they certainly won't rekindle it if they're demoted to SEABL.

It might not be the saviour but I would like to see the NBL bring in a proper luxury tax. That way if Melb's owners or the Kings or whatever want to lash out and go after a Childress type talent who would normally not give NBL money the time of the day they can by x amount of luxury tax being distributed to the struggling clubs.

Reply #529712 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

"Nick Marvin and the Bendats".. Sounds like an 80's band!

Reply #529717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we need to accept that from a financial perspective, the NBL is a second rate league. Sure we have Perth, NZ and Cairns doing well now, but the continual rollercoaster of teams fortunes shows that the success stories are generally fleeting.

Rather than going big I think we have to go small. Small sustainable programs, smaller stadiums More teams run at lower costs.

Reducing the overall salary cap is a start, maybe even to less than 500k. This would allow more teams to field a side. Sure we'd lose the top end talent, but the majority of Boomers (and then some) don't play here anyway. We're already paying for second string talent.

I'd like to see teams added in Brisbane (obviously), Tassie, Canberra, 2nd Melbourne, Western Sydney and maybe even Wellington. This would give more opportunities to Aussie (and kiwi) players to play at (our) highest level while giving more Aussies access to see some quality basketball.

The leagues current spiral can be traced back to the time in 97 when we lost 3 clubs in one swoop. Since then we've barely had a single season without a merger, fold or receivership.

The teams that survived have done nothing to show they can consistently pay these salaries. Why do we keep fooling ourselves?

Reply #529736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#638 where did anyone say that the vote had to be unanimous?

Reply #529758 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754