Anonymous
Years ago

When will we see Liz play?

See endless stories about Liz doing squats and spin classes, doing her nails etc. online. She sure looks imposing and confident at the gym at the moment.

But when is she going to suit up again? I feel like she could be one of the female GOATs if she can play some games.

Does anyone have a good feel for what she has achieved so far, and what we can possibly look forward to once she is back playing?

Topic #37181 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Liz had 10% of Lauren Jackson's competitive drive she would already be the best female basketballer on the planet. Seriously. But her care factor is low. With her size & skills she can phone it in, cruise along, and still be very well paid, so that is all she does. I don't blame her but it is frustrating as a fan to see how good she could be if she wanted to.

Reply #530806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mijovic and scherf suffer from the same thing..

Reply #530808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tall player syndrome ......

Reply #530811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opinions from keyboard warrior internet Trolls based on nothing but their own lack of knowledge or understanding^

Reply #530814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or perhaps they like me have been involved at development programs and have seen these flaws from a very young age.....

Work ethic has been an issue with Liz for a very long time - fact !!

Reply #530819 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

BJ last informed that Liz and LJ were on track to be available to play for the Opals against NZ.

Reply #530821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoping to see her play soon. Where will she gat some match practice beforehand? Be hard to step in and play international ball without any games.

Reply #530823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately a lot of bigs do have work ethic issues because they have been allowed to develop them as juniors purely because coaches are happy so long as they have the height. Parents of those juniors also have the same attitude, ( of they are big so you need them) work ethic either comes naturally or it is taught from an early age . If they don't have it by top age juniors then they won't ever have it.

Reply #530838 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Both LJ and Liz will not play in the WNBA before the FIBA Oceania qualifiers.

So that means they either step in to play SEABL for a few games, or they com into the Opals 'cold' like Jawai did with the Boomers last year.

Reply #530840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Work ethic comment sounds like the comment of the parent of a midget.

Very tall young girls need to be carefully maneged with their workload while they resemble baby giraffes.

Smart parents will resist the pressures to overload them.

Reply #530856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their is a huge difference between not overloading any child, and installing a good work ethic regardless of wether they are 6'5 or 5'6, unfortunately though, some of those bigs do use their size as an excuse to not work hard, LJ never had a work ethic issue as a junior, I'd say she still doesn't though at her age and her injuries she is limited with what basketball she actually has left.

Reply #530864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LJ's only problem was being too driven to win. It resulted in her playing through too many injuries because she was so eager to get back out onto the court in spite of all the pain. The exact opposite problem to Liz who would use a hangnail as an excuse to run crying to the bench and then take a month off.

Reply #531185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of uneducated trolls here, who know nothing about anything other than to bag and slag! We will see Liz when she is good and ready to play, not before.

Reply #531191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny to see those 2 mentioned in the same paragraph. Last time I was in Bali Liz & LJ were staying at the same resort I was at. Contrasting players but obviously good friends. Liz & her b/f are not shy around the swimming pool let me tell you. Thankfully they headed up to their room before it got fully X rated.

Reply #531199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is her bf tall? Like 6'8?

Reply #531206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha I did notice that he wasn't quite as tall as she was. Would be pretty slim pickings if she insisted on someone taller than her I reckon!

Reply #531210 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Looks like that answer to this question is: Next week
:)

http://www.basketball.net.au/big-names-return-opals-japan/

Reply #537956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread has gone slightly off topic, from when will Liz play to how talls are lazy and use their size as an excuse to opt out of hard work.

I have some personal knowledge about raising a tall kid or two and depending on who you talk to you will always get a different reponse.

A coach without proper knowledge or experience will say they should all be treated the same, but a medical expert who treats injuries will say that is a disaster waiting to happen, they are not the same.

Why? It is about levels, flexibility, power to weight ratios and many physical factors that increase injury risk in oversized people at a young age in particular.

Those of you who hate on her without any facts or experience in this subject behind you should in fact hang your heads in shame and subject yourselves to the 'IF I HAVE NOTHING SENSIBLE TO SAY I SHOULD SAY NOTHING AT ALL' theory!

Reply #537965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A ruptured achilles tendon is a very serious injury.

Most guards don't come back at the same level after this injury. There was a lot of talk about the Wes Matthews new contract with Dallas as its expected he won't come back the same.

Here is an article on jim_mcilvaine's point of view.
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/03/former_nba_center_jim_mcilvaine_offers_insight_on.html

It sounds like Liz's age and lack of miles on her legs (and being four inches or more taller then most opponents should help). Although I'm suprised a team offered her 7 figures without seeing how the recovery has gone.

I'm not aware of any high level female players that have previoulsy gone through this injury and if females are more likley to get back to a decent level of athleticism which will allow them to compete again at a high level.

Reply #537968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A quote from the article;

McIlvaine cites a study in the American Journal of Sports Medicine, which found "39 percent of NBA players who tore their Achilles tendons never played at the NBA level again. Of those who did return to play again, 16 percent only played one more season, meaning just 46 percent of those who tore their Achilles tendon ever played more than one NBA season afterwards."

Reply #537969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dam big squad chosen for games against Japan.

Lavey/Wilson/Clydesdale
Madgen/ebzery/Garrick/snell
Jarry/Talbot/kunek/Blicavs
Hodges/penaluna/burton
Cambage/batkovic

Don't know why they choose older players like Wilson, snell, hodges, batkovic.
You wouldnt think they have a shot at rio.

Reply #538004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rio?

Phillips/Mitchell/lavey
Taylor/allen
Jarry/ohea
Francis/tolo/bishop
Cambage/Jackson

Reply #538005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big squad probably because half will be injured lol

Reply #538007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elizabeth Cambage has been ruled out of this week's series against Japan for the Jayco Australian Opals.

Cambage has made herself unavailable for the three games, starting Monday night. As a consequence, Cambage is unavailable for selection for the upcoming FIBA Oceania Championships where the Jayco Australian Opals will play New Zealand starting August 15 in Melbourne.

Basketball Australia will continue to assist Cambage in her rehabilitation from an Achilles injury.

Reply #539003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian centre Liz Cambage has been ruled out of the Opals' Rio Olympic qualifying series after choosing to attend a music festival rather than the first day of training camp.
The 23-year-old star has spent the past 10 months recovering from a ruptured achilles tendon and was poised to return to the court when the Opals start a three-game series against Japan at Dandenong Stadium on Monday night.
Opals players were told Cambage had decided to attend the Splendour in the Grass music festival this weekend and come into camp on Monday.
Rachel Jarry, a long time friend and teammate of Cambage, told Fairfax Media that attending a selection camp was mandatory as the Opals prepared for the qualifying series.
"It doesn't fit in with the culture we are building - you can't choose a music festival over a camp," Jarry said.
"She is letting her teammates down and I just wish she could have been a part of these games but it's not to be.
"Liz is a good friend of mine and I'd love her to be a part of it but the team has to come first."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/liz-cambage-out-of-opals-rio-olympic-qualifiers-after-missing-start-of-camp-20150726-gikuwf.html#ixzz3gzAIvapf

Reply #539004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised?

Reply #539005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgraceful.

Reply #539006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised people care about women's basketball

Reply #539017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy/girl ^ = stupidest comment of the year.

I care.

Reply #539019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But, why? Even women basketballers think music festivals are more interesting than playing at an elite level

Reply #539025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 basketballer. Not all...

Reply #539071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the women are far more successful on the world circuit than the men in all age groups !

Reply #539348 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754