Isaac
Years ago

BA issues statement on Champions League

Basketball Australia, the NBL and Champions League Basketball
Basketball Australia welcomes the positive discussion today about Australian basketball.

Two of our athletes, Andrew Bogut and Matthew Dellavedova are taking centre stage in the NBA Finals meantime, talk of a new competition has stimulated significant debate within both the basketball community and mainstream media.

As the governing body for basketball in Australia, Basketball Australia is focused on growth and development of the game while considering what is in the best interests for the sport - now and into the future.

The recent change in the ownership structure of the NBL is an exciting development and we are working closely with the new management on supporting the flagship men's competition. It is our view that any new initiatives must not be to the NBL’s detriment and should be developed in consultation with the League and Basketball Australia.

The NBL remains the only exclusive fully professional Basketball Australia-sanctioned League, and its health and growth is of paramount focus.

Topic #37201 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shorter BA, "Show us the money!"

Reply #531390 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

This will give the NBL the kick in the ass it needs. THey can't wait around and keep saying 'Next season' every time they make a promise. Competition is healthy - they either need to put up or shut down.

Reply #531399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its more along the lines of not wanting to have a second poorly run competition in the country.

Reply #531400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poorer run comp. Poorer than the nbl was in the recent past. You are kidding.

Reply #531402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did it say poorer?

Reply #531404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the idiots post above it did. Can you read?

Reply #531426 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBL posted the statement on their FB account and are taking a little heat now...

Reply #531430 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well deserved heat. I personally put the flamethrower to them in that status.

They are obviously butthurt by this little development. I suppose they can't just coast along sitting on their hands and expect to survive as the only show in town, hey?

Looks like we will need to see results for the NBL before 2017 or that will basically be that?

Reply #531434 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's hardly a direct competitor GWB, even if it did happen to get off the ground. The NBL's challenges are far bigger than this.

Reply #531436 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It may not be a direct competitor, but if CLB does well and NBL doesn't, the NBL will no longer be a necessity in Australia.

Reply #531438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great. About time someone shook them up. Arrogant pricks. We are the blah blah blah bullshit line. Professional basket ballers. Tell that to the dev players who get sfa.

Reply #531445 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

GWB - you seem very firm in your enthusiasm for a league basically being put together on the fly, apparently without capital, with no TV deal etc.

If it works, and the NBL fails (goes under), then this will fail soon after. The fundamentals for both are wrong.

Everything depends on either very deep pockets (which the NBL now has to some degree and the CLB does not at this stage) or a great TV deal (not just a TV deal) which neither of them have.

The NBL clubs were apparently hemorrhaging paying BA 100K per year in fees, how are clubs going to front 350 to CLB?

Are there really a whole new set of investors out there ready to plunge 1-2m into a 15 week risk? A league not endorsed by BA, which will struggle to get quality referees as a result, which will struggle to get players as a result etc.

Anyone for smoke and mirrors?

Reply #531461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB, you are wanting to give the CBL a chance on the proviso they find investors who are willing to lose money to start, but also criticizing the NBL for not doing things properly when their biggest hurdle has been not being able to find investors willing to lose money.

Reply #531462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#426 it says "a second poorLY run league" not that one is going to be worse than another. Can you read?

Reply #531463 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

"GWB, you are wanting to give the CBL a chance on the proviso they find investors who are willing to lose money to start, but also criticizing the NBL for not doing things properly when their biggest hurdle has been not being able to find investors willing to lose money."

NBL's biggest hurdle has been 2 decades of mismanagement. All I am saying, is the CLB seems to believe they have the money. They are talking like they already have the investors. If they do, then they give themselves a fair chance to succeed.

Now that the NBL has an investor with some business nous, I will be interested to see what happens with the league. I am by no means abandoning the league, I just want to finally see action this time. After so many years of broken promises, I don't think real changes can wait another season. CLB is a warning that, if they don't happen soon something else might come up. NBL's spot as Australias premier league could be in peril. All it takes is for CLB to decide to play traditional basketball, extend the length of the season, and to have those investors from the get go. I can't help but think they already have a few..

Reply #531468 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

It's curious to observe that the CLB development is reminiscent of the 'tear it down and rebuild it from new' approach that Gaze bandied about a couple of months ago, when the NBL's future form was being questioned.

GWB - I disagree that the NBL has sat on its collective hands for 20 years. I think it's fairer to say there have been too many hands on the wheel and pulling in different directions at different times. Together with club level mismanagement, that management by influence (rather than common vision) has been the main reason there's been no clear and coherent model of what the league should look like and how it should operate. That deficiency at least is fixable in the Kestleman experiment.

Personally, I think it's good for the NBL to have the prospect of indirect competition from something like CLB. It provides even more incentive to make the experiment succeed. So any white-anting from within is likely to be less than otherwise might have been the case.

Reply #531471 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

Gimmick league. Props for trying, but the guys trying to get this going are missing the point as far as why the NBL isn't good in this country. It is not the game itself, it is the administration of the competition. Everyone still loves the game. This is not a case of Test match or one-day cricket "not being an exciting enough format".

Reply #531490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the nbl administration has exactly what to do with this format and it own administration?

Reply #531491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More importantly what has the old ownership of the nbl got to do with the LK group who haven't even had a chanve to run a season yet.

Reply #531492 | Report this post

A. Bitoni Fan  
Years ago

I'm not dissing the LK Group and I look forward to the changes they will be able to implement going forward.

My point was, these guys have come out with saying basketball needs to be "revolutionised" with an IPL / Big Bash type offering, which I think is off the mark. The game itself and the format is not the reason why the NBL has struggled in Australia, it is the poor administration of the competition.

Reply #531495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor administration of the clubs of the competition.

Reply #531498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both are mutually to blame. Dodgy owners allowed by the nbl to run a club.
$1mill guarantee remember that debacle?

Reply #531540 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Why was the $1m guarantee a debacle?

Reply #531599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA had it in and enforced it strictly. New owners in and dropped the rule. Players not paid, super allegedly etc. Exactly what the $1mill was designed to cover. Sufficient to pay everyone and see the season out.
You could probably argue that maybe both hawks and crocs were trading when technically insolvent.
But no one wants to go down that road.

Reply #531655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The $1 mill guarantee was not adhered to by all clubs when BA was in charge.

"Dodgy owners allowed by the nbl to run a club."

Its not like there is a long list of wealthy people lining up to own a club. If the NBL had turned around and kicked out Eddy Groves, McPeake and Tim Johnstone mid-season when allegations of being dodgy first surfaced, what would have happened?

Reply #531659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McPeake dodgy. Crap.
He was a smart businessman that was never dodgy. The others if the NBL had done their due diligence in the first place should never have been allowed in the first place.
Despite Johnson being dodgy I know he put a lot of his own money into the kings.
The debacle that has ensued since has done nothing for the reputation of the NBL. You also forget about the dodgy Cairns owner as well. better no league than have headlines year after year than the crap thats just happened again.
Lets hope the LK group gets it right this time. This fails done and dusted for the NBL.

Reply #531776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear.

Reply #531784 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754