GWB
Years ago

Ben Simmons is 'non commited - apparently' to Rio.

In this article, it says that Ben Simmons is not necessarily committed to rio. This to me is a concern. If he is already not committed to his first possible Olympics, will this become a trend for him?

Other than that, good article..

http://www.newsweek.com/australia-taking-over-nba-340050

Topic #37206 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll chime in before this gets blown out of proportion.

'Noncommittal' isn't the same as committing to not participate, in the same way Lebron James hasn't committed to the Olympics, either - despite the fact that we know he will.

Simmons has said that he won't be a part of the qualifier (due to college commitments) but he wants to play at Rio.

End of story. Move along, everyone

Reply #531595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally don't think Ben will play in Rio.

He will be too busy concentrating on his commitments to the NBA team, that will most likely take him number 1 in the 2016 NBA Draft.

Reply #531597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No cause for alarm he will be 20 at time of Rio. Would be an absolute lock for 2020 Olympics and beyond

Reply #531601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just means he hasn't made up his mind, not that he's decided against it

Reply #531603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like Delly was non commital to catching th same bus as his teammates. Our Aussie players need to take a good look at themselves

Reply #531607 | Report this post

Nic Nat  
Years ago

It's no crime for people to put their own personal future ahead of an Olympic team. I don't know why people get so worked up about who will or won't represent Australia.
The decisions that Ben will face in the coming years could have millions or even tens of millions of dollars in consequences.
He is actually doing the smart and responsible thing by being non committal at this point in time.

Reply #531609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlike Thon Maker or Chol Marial he is a safe bet to represent the boomrrs having already played for the emus

Reply #531610 | Report this post

Nic Nat  
Years ago

and unlike Thon he is actually good enough to play for them as well so his name at least belongs in the discussion.

Reply #531611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ he played for the under 17's (not the emus U19 team).

Reply #531619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the way anon #595 has displayed an opinion and then urges everyone else to 'move along' suggesting further opinion is not necessary.

Reply #531621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks also to #595 for your input I think I can decide for myself whether to move along

Reply #531622 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think with any players coming through of Simmons' calibre, its best to presume that they won't be available for Aus commitments and any appearance is a bonus.

Right now its the other way around. People presume that they will play and are shocked when they can't.

When Steve made the NBA, I thought here we go. It's Sean Marks all over again. But that's not a bad thing. He is representing NZ and doing our country proud, just not whilst wearing a TB uniform.

I know it sounds silly but the good he will do for our country over the next few years in the NBA will simply outweigh turning up for a tournament and getting a place or two higher. Sure they can co-exist but if you had the choice, i would rather see 10 years of Steve at OKC than a few tournament appearances.

Reply #531627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do all understand that Ben Simmons could have an American passport so could also play for USA..... Get over him he a kid, let him live his life and fo what HE wants

Reply #531629 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am sure he will make some big tournys for us. If it is not in 2016, I guess he will only be about 18-19 at the time anyway?

Reply #531630 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Just checked, yes, he will be 20 by then. The NBA draft is on the 25th of Jun, Olympics are on the 5th-21st of August. That gives more than a month. What are the post-draft schedules of NBA players like, and is there a chance he might be busy for the Olympics?

Reply #531631 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"You do all understand that Ben Simmons could have an American passport so could also play for USA..... Get over him he a kid, let him live his life and fo what HE wants"

nope, Ben Simmons has already represented Australia against NZ at a senior level as has Dante Exum. He can't play for the USA.

Reply #531633 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

He has represented Australia at junior level multiple times. He can represent no one else unless USA Basketball and Basketball Australia come to an agreement - which absolutely will not happen.

I think Ben's Olympic eligibility will hinge on whether or not he declares for the draft next year or later.

Reply #531635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons bleeds yellow and gold. Future nba all star

Reply #531637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well all the countries out there whose colours are yellow and gold must be kicking themselves that he is an aussie and not one of theirs.

Reply #531638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there could be some bitterness from being left off the World Champs team.

He did everything required, no that he will be in high demand as the top 5 draft pick I expect him to want Lemanis to come to him.

Reply #531640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons bleeds yellow and gold. Future nba all star

Future nba star yes ...... Bleeds yellow and gold .....no

As for not being able to play usa because he's represented aus, of course he can if that's what he wants, playing as a junior or under 18yrs of age, once he turns adult it changes everything

Reply #531641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ He has already played for Australia (in the boomers) as a senior against NZ in 2013 qualification games for the world champs so that counts. Please, its not hard to at least fact check prior to posting an option (hint try google it will help you)

Plus he has many many times public stated his desire to play for the boomers

Reply #531650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe he needs to prove himself outside of high school before becoming an Olympian,

Kids tend to be kids

Reply #531651 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"What are the post-draft schedules of NBA players like"

Well Vegas Summer League is July 10-20, so that could clash with training camp or some lead-in games.

Reply #531748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Chol Marial? saw his name in this thread. GWB can you shed some light on this?

Reply #531751 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Its the first time I have heard the name.

Reply #531796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chol Marial is not Australian. A 7'3 Sudanese kid whose mixtape has just been released. And we all know how great mixtapes are when judging young talent. But yeah, no connection to Australia

Reply #531802 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Looked him up, he is 7 ft 3 at 15.. but there is no evidence of any link to Australia what-so-ever.

Reply #531803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As someone else said, i think being shunned by the Boomers for the World Champs hurt him a bit. Plus, he was really against them tanking against Angola.

I hope he gets on board for Rio. He'd be a walk on for the team.

Reply #532260 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754