http://www.botinagy.com/blog/bubbles-back-for-united-and-more/

Topic #37242 | Report this topic

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Good old Boti, givin us everything we need to know

Reply #532397 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Am curious to see if the United technique of splashing most of your cash on your starting 5 is going to work...

Reply #532399 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

haven't learnt from last season

Reply #532403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman must have deep pockets. Wasn't there noise Kickert was getting +$300K to play?

Reply #532405 | Report this post

Jono  
Years ago

Good work MU!

Reply #532406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he wasn't good enough to play in europe

Reply #532407 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Word is that Gibson, Creek and Sobey to be soon announced as 36ers signings.

Also, Mitch McCarron's partner in crime at Metro State, Nicholas Kay, is set to ink a deal with Townsville.

Reply #532410 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

RE Kay hopefully a good young forward pairing to go with Mitch Young. Now he just needs to throw Mccarron in his suitcase LC.

Reply #532411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many 'points' does each team have to put a team together? Would imagine Goulding, Conklin, Holt and Kickert would all be either 9 or 10 point players.

Reply #532413 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Creek is already signed with Adelaide I thought?

Reply #532415 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Kickert
F Blanchfield
F Conklin
G Goulding
G Holt

Two St Mary's Gaels in there, and a pretty damn good starting 5

Reply #532417 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

KET...Creek is an extension on his existing contract I believe?

Reply #532418 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

I'd imagine walker would be back, look at all the Insta pics of Tomlinson and Goulding. is always with them and I think is only a 2 or 4 in points ratings so would be silly not to re sign him

Reply #532419 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isnt Barlow still on contract with United as well? He would be a 9/10 too I'd imagine?

Reply #532420 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Conklin - 10 points
Blanchfield - 9 points
Kickert - 8 points

Goulding - don't know, probably 9 or 10
Holt - don't know, probably 9 or 10

So 45-47 points in starting 5, leaving 23-25 for the bench.

I imagine at least $700,000 salaries for that starting 5 (probably more). I assume one will be a marquee signing and so won't count towards salary cap.

I looked at these signings and wondered if we're going to see the demise of the player points' system and maybe even the salary cap. If that's on the cards, United would be the first to know.

Reply #532421 | Report this post

Oberon 28  
Years ago

Barlow would be overpaid as well for his production I think.

Reply #532422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd really hope that teams haven't assembled rosters based on a points cap, only for the new league owner to decide at a later stage to scrap it.

Reply #532428 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Goulding - don't know, probably 9 or 10
Holt - don't know, probably 9 or 10
Imports are a 10 by default, Aussies returning from Europe are a 9 by default.

Not sure whether that applies to Goulding given he played NBL only two years ago, though.

Reply #532432 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Barlow would be a 9 as well if still on last contract.

Reply #532440 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Solid squad on paper....

Reply #532446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are all about that paper.

Reply #532449 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Wow i thought goulding was staying in europe / fringe nba

Reply #532450 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Great starting 5, I still reckon they could have similar issues to last year with rim protection though, Conklin is of similar size to Wortho and is he a huge upgrade to Wortho in this area?

Reply #532451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G - Holt / Tomlinson
G - Goulding / Odigie
F - Blanchfield/ Barlow
F - Conklin / Walker
C - Kickert / Patton??

Not sure how much better than last year it will be. Having Goulding back obviously would help, but having team chemistry would be the main thing they would be wanting to see.

Reply #532453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin isn't joining United, apparently.

Reply #532455 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I still reckon they should have basically kept the core of the Tigers team that made the semis against the 36ers a couple of seasons ago.

Taking out say Wortho, Corletto

A team of

Holt or Dennis/Tomlinson
Goulding/Odigie
Blanchfield/Walker
Kickert/Barlow
Morrison or similar/Patton

Looks a little better rounded, Morrison gives them that big body under the rim that they have lacked the last year and dont seem to have with Conklin filling the import spot, even though Conklin is the better individual player.

There is also only 1 ball, so may be better to have the roll playing import big with genuine size who will play under the rim and work hard at both ends.

Some times teams go too crazy stacking talent together and miss those important factors imo, last year for Melbourne was an example of this, they should have just bought the Tigers guys back, added Barlow and/or Kickert for Goulding and whoever,

Could have had a team of say

Dennis/Tomlinson
Corletto/??
Barlow/Odigie
Worthington/Walker
Morrison/MacMillan

would have been a playoff team imo, as is very similar to the previous playoff team, less star studded but better rounded.

Reply #532456 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Jonno...given Kickert doesnt spend alot of time in the paint Conklin is a better choice than Wortho in that PF role in my opinion. Conklin will still give them a rebounding presence when Kickert wanders out to the arc where as last season they would often have Wortho and co out there as well thus leaving them with no rebounding presence.

Reply #532492 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Heck of a starting 5.
Always liked Holt at St Mary's. Will be good to see what he can do here.

Reply #532497 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Goulding would have Euro/ NBA out clauses?

Reply #532514 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

The article said for Petrie, Sobey and Gibbo. Creek is already contracted unless like Tornado said it is an extension.

Reply #532615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Holt is going to be their starting PG I don't like the move he is more of a combo guard having watched him at St Mary's

Reply #532617 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Auryn Macmillan has signed in England

Reply #532621 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Walker another SMC alumni on United roster. Barlow contracted too.

Reply #532626 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Guys like Corletto and Macmillan will do well in England. It is a lesser standard than NBL.

Reply #532628 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

So add Walker at 5 points and Barlow at 9 points. Leaves 10 points for the remaining 3 spots. Tomlinson's a 7. Hmmm.

Reply #532629 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

BJ Anthony has also signed in England

Reply #532672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benny Lewis has signed in England

Reply #532674 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jayson Wells has also signed in England, pending him achieving the required beep test score.

Reply #532676 | Report this post

Anon Anon  
Years ago

Goulding hasn't signed , Walker isn't signed

Reply #532684 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The moral of the story here is: Townsville should have ousted Dennis and replaced him with Mike Kelly.

When your two best players leave town to go play under your ex-assistant on the other side of the country it's pretty clear that Dennis has lost the group.

Reply #532691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This won't be United's team (No Conklin, probably no Bubbles). I think they have learnt better then to sign another starting 5 that all need a lot of the ball to contribute.

They will sign a defensive anchor at the 5 who doesn't need a lot of touches.

Reply #532694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Dennis lost the group, or has the uncertainty over Townsvilles future made a hefty offer from United all the more appealing?

Reply #532705 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think Conklin and Blanchfield have been offered a significantly better offer from United.Why wouldnt they go....

Reply #532706 | Report this post

Oberon 28  
Years ago

Mick that is a ridiculous statement. United have more money than Townsville that's why Blanchfield left. Dennis is a good coach just doesn't have the budget that other teams have.

Reply #532711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's a great idea to spend most of your cap on 5-6 good players. NBL games are only 40 minutes, you don't have to play 10 deep anyway.

Reply #532713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez Adelaide seem very slow off the mark to sign anyone decent that is new!

Reply #532730 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"I think it's a great idea to spend most of your cap on 5-6 good players. NBL games are only 40 minutes, you don't have to play 10 deep anyway."

Cairns & NZ had the best bench production in the league last season and it worked out pretty good...

Reply #532751 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

There was an SBS news report the other day about the Filipino community in Victoria (apparently 40,000 strong) starting up their own league to encourage more participation. There was Melbourne United signage everywhere, and I think some Utd players were involved as well.

Given that Stephen Holt is a Filipino-American, and Filipinos in general tend to be pretty fanatical about basketball, I wonder if the reported signing is at least in part motivated by the owners courting this section of the local market ...

Reply #533068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:00 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754