mystro
Years ago

Tall Blacks Oceania Qualifying Triallists Named

Tom Abercrombie, Steven Adams, Duane Bailey, Everard Bartlett, Finn Delany, Isaac Fotu, Leon Henry, Shea Ili, Jarrod Kenny, Rob Loe, Jordan Ngatai, Dion Prewster, Ethan Rusbatch, Lindsay Tait, Reuben Te Rangi, Sam Timmins, Mika Vukona, Corey Webster, Tai Wynyard, Matt Freeman, Casey Frank, Izayah Mauriohooho-Le'afa.

Omissions.
BJ Anthony (recovering from injury), Alex Pledger (recovering from injury), Kirk Penney (retired from International Basketball?), Tai Webster (School Commitments?), Brooke Roscoe,

I think we are likely to see a team similar to:

Lindsay Tait/ Jarrod Kenny
Corey Webster/ Everard Bartlett
Tom Abercrombie/ Duane Bailey/ Reuben TeRangi
Mika Vukona/ Isaac Fotu
Steven Adams/ Rob Loe

Lindsay Tait is the most reliable ball handling option at PG with Jarrod Kenny's deficiencies being exposed by Patty Mills last time they played and Shea Illi still developing his game and unexperienced and untested. Bartlett may even get the backup PG spot if TeRangi gets the backup SG spot behind Corey Webster.

Webster is capable of running the point with the ability to create his own shot and will have the resposibilty off being NZ's number #1 scoring option

Abercrombie will start at SF and then its between TeRangi, Henry and Bailey. I'd expect Duane Bailey to get this spot. I think Duane Bailey has surpassed TeRangi at the 3 and has developed into a more confident scorer inside & out whilst being a comparable defender. Leon Henry has the same ability defensively as Bailey with both players able to slide up to play the 4. TeRangi may slip behind Webster at SG like he has at the Breakers but still play more of a SF role.

I expect Mika Vukona to start at PF and Isaac Fotu to back him up for the last time before becoming our #1 option at PF in the near future. The young trio of Freeman, Wynyard and Timmins will all be unlucky not to get a spot but will have their time in a few years and will be better for having a run at the trials.

Hopefully Steven Adams gets the green light from Donovan and OKC and debuts at starting Centre. Stretch PF Rob Loe to back him up with Alex Pledger still coming off the surgery for Turf Toe.

NZ's biggest deficiencies are at PG. Mills is too quick for Tait & Kenny and Dellavadova will have no problem hounding them into poor decisions and the combination Exum's athleticism and speed will cause all sorts of issues.

The Boomers are also at an advantage at SF with the Boomers swingmen having had their way with Abercrombie many times before, bullying him with their strength and matching his athleticism. Bailey doesn't offer anything to trouble the likes of Joe Ingles and Brad Newley.

PF and Centre are the only 2 positions I don't see the Tall Blacks being at any major disadvantage although Alex Pledgers inclusion (if healthy) would offer more confidence with his International experience and size offering more of a hurdle than the smaller more perimeter orientated Rob Loe.

Topic #37301 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Leon Henry gets in.

Reply #533820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

against?

Mills/exum
Dellavedova/Goulding
Broekhoff/newley/blanchfield
Motum/bairstow
Bogut/baynes/jawai

Reply #533821 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Leon Henry offers more experience over TeRangi/Bailey and is versatile but may not be 100% after suffering a nasty facial injury in a fall during an NZNBL game this season.

It'll be a big ask for NZ to get a win with Australia's depth and especially at guard. Real shame Kirk Penney and Tai Webster aren't available to add some scoring punch behind Corey Webster and some capable ball handling skills to combat the full court pressure the Boomers guards will put on the NZ ball handlers all game.

Reply #533822 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

From that camp, 14 players will be chosen to depart on July 19 for a tour of London, Croatia and Slovenia as preparation for the Oceania series.

Steven Adams is not expected to be available for that tour so I would like the touring 14 to be something like:

Tait/Kenney/Illi
Webster/Bartlett/TeRangi
Abercrombie/Bailey
Vukona/Fotu/Freeman
Loe/Wynyard/Timmins

It gives the young up and coming kids like Shea Illi, Matt Freeman, Sam Timmins, Tai Wynyard an opportunity to taste a Senior Tall Blacks Tour with Mika Vukona and show what they can do whilst still having enough experience and talent on the court to be competitive.

Reply #533827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leon will 100% make it over Duane, he's so much better defensively and can play the 3 better which is more of what they need with Vukona/Fotu covering the 4.

I'd agree with your 14 there though otherwise except for Freeman, don't think he's going to be in any squads, hasn't even played NBL ball yet.

Wouldn't be surprised if Prewster/Rusbatch run Bartlett close, I love Ev but both dudes have shot well this year and are better defensively. Could be in the mix depending on Henare's preferences

Reply #533890 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Tai Webster were available I think Prewster would be a real chance, but without much depth at PG I think Bartlett will be there as insurance. Prewster could give Bailey a run for his money though.

Reply #533892 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:35 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754