Jack Toft
Years ago

R22 PL: The Last Hurrah

Final round of CABL, er Premier League.

North-Sturt; South-Southern; West-Forestville; Woodies-Mavs; Lions-Flames

Womens: Still a fight for the final. Bye bye KB & Lions, Tigers and Eagles. Mavettes can plan their end of season trip too. Norwood are likely to go 22-0 and take the Minor Premiership (again) with North and Woodies rounding out Top 3. It's still anyone’s game for 4 and 5 with West, South and Sturt in a 3 way battle to the death. West host the Eagles and it’s hard to see them drop that one. They need to win tonight and are down on the splits against South and Sturt. South should make a meal of the Tigers, but lost by 10 at Morphett Vale. If they can make amends tonight, then they should finish 4th and host a final. I think the last time a final was at Marion, Mitsubishi made cars in SA. Sturt @ North should be a cracker. If Sturt win (and they did last time) they can hold 5th spot and make it a very, interesting final series.

Jack’s tips: Sturt, South, West, Woodville, Flames (couldn’t they just drop a game for KB?)

Mens: Final 5 look set. Norwood, Woodville, West, Sturt and North all planning rubdowns next week. Mad Sundays for Forestville, South, Mavs, Lions and Tigers. Pretty much all dead rubbers on the men’s side except if Sturt beat Norf by 12, they will swap positions. Both those teams will be playing it cool as they will be meeting each other in the first round of finals.

It will also be Scott Whitmore's last hurrah as well. I think after 10 years he is the current longest serving PL coach. Certainly worth gatorading him for that!

Jack’s tips: Norf, South, West, Woodville, Norwood

Topic #37620 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack - Scott did 8 years as head coach, not 10, but I think your point is correct.

Reply #540606 | Report this post

mav dav  
Years ago

assistant for 2, head coach for 8 = 10

Reply #540610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Women hosted Forestville last season in the first round of finals? I think last year was 2014?

Reply #540614 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

yes, sorry, it's 10 years in total.

Regardless, it's a bloody lot of Saturday nights.

Reply #540616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mav dav = which equals 8 years as coach, not 10.

Anyway good luck to him with whatever comes next.

Reply #540624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't Andy Simons be the longest serving coach?

Reply #540630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville women's surprise loss to Eastern creates 3 way tie.

Norwood, North, South, Woodville & West I think.

Sturt loss leaves them one game short.

Reply #540656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andy will be losing that accomplishment next season

Reply #540657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern women lose 11 straight to end the season, no improvement whatsoever, hope this isn't what can be expected of the lightning

Reply #540658 | Report this post

bb  
Years ago

There will be far more talent in Lightning than Southern.!!!

Reply #540670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Stand back ladies and gents, Captain Obvious is up there.

Reply #540672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A national, professional team will have more talent than an amateur state league team? Well I never

I just realised that tiger woods has more talent than the golfers playing at my local par 3, who would have known

Reply #540674 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Surely Forestville Board of Management needs to have a serious look at their junior to senior transition

Big money in Men's = nothing
Big money in women= nothing

Juniors leaving to go to other clubs to get court time and volunteers leaving the club in mass amounts.

Forestville has for many years been the butt of jokes about the senior system, now the results mean the Executive / Board/ decision makers need a call

Same men's coach for 10+ years will tell them " I can do it again, trust me"
Same women's coach for 10 years tell the board " we have juniors coming through, but no court time "

Must be a chance for change , surely?????

Reply #540694 | Report this post

Fact  
Years ago

"Forestville has for many years been the butt of jokes about the senior system"

Well yes its been hilarious how many championships they have won, I agree.

Most successful club over the last decade

What juniors have left to other clubs for court time ? Can't think of any

Reply #540695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason forest didn't make finals is because of bad personal choices such as Daniel sims. Had they got their chemistry together early they would have been very dangerous and in the top 3

Reply #540699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hindsight, dangerous thing to rely on!

Reply #540701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so in the men, Norwood have the week off, and Warriors play Bearcats at home. Where is the game between Sturt & North to be played?

in the Women Norwood have the week off, and North play? who at home, just where did Warriors, Bearcats, Panthers finish up?

two north teams in finals, two norwood, two west, two woodville, with one sturt and one south. Will make for a cracking finals series

Reply #540731 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

As of 6pm not one game result on the sporting pulse sight ? Anyone the same ?

Reply #540776 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

in the six games involving those teams
South beat West twice so have the split on them
Woodville beat South twice so have the split on them
Woodville and West went 1-1, but Woodville have the split.

Does that make it:
3. Woodville
4. South
5. West

Reply #540782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville and south were 1-1

Reply #540789 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Woodville & South played 3 times, 2 - 1 to Woodville, so they're 3 each in thr mini premiership table involving all 3 but % would favour Woodville so correct outcome, wrong reason.

Reply #540792 | Report this post

Norway  
Years ago

So are you saying he is going to Norway as well ?

How is Sharon's contract & the coaching Director linked ?

Reply #540793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Woodville played 6 (3 with west, 3 with South) and West and South have played 5 (2 each) I think it will go to higher goal difference between this would make the finals outcome
3rd - Woodville (+38)
4th - West (+4)
5th - South (-42)

Reply #540795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaching director is in charge of choosing coaches, Sharon won't be returning.
Coaching director is off to Norway to coach

Reply #540799 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Fiba Classification D 1.3 goes on points per games won between these 3 teams only. Goal difference applies only if points equal ie Woodville & South so Woodville beat South. West only won 1 game so they're 5th.

Reply #540804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Razor, I think that only applies when teams play equal games

Reply #540808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's no FIBA method for when they don't as FIBA don't allow for it. Another reason why an uneven competition was the worst idea.

Watch BSA make up an explanation depending on who complains the most.

Reply #540810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope BSA posts an explanation why the ladder looks like it does
POS TEAM P W L F A % PTS
1 Norwood Flames 22 22 0 1733 1294 133.93 66
2 North Adelaide Rockets 22 16 6 1598 1394 114.63 54
3 Woodville Warriors 22 12 10 1517 1426 106.38 46
4 South Adelaide Panthers 22 12 10 1561 1543 101.17 46
5 West Adelaide Bearcats 22 12 10 1535 1483 103.51 46

I cant find any logic to the last 3 positions, doesn't matter who finishes where but I would like to understand why

Head to Head - Inconclusive
Woodville beats South (2-1)
South Beats West (2-0)
West Beats Woodville (2-1)

FIBA RULE
D.1.3 If 2 or more teams have the same win-loss record of all games in the group, the game(s) between these 2 or more teams shall decide on the classification. If the 2 or more teams have the same win-loss record of the games between them, further criteria will be applied in the following order:
• Higher goal difference of the games between them
• Higher number of goals scored in the games between them
• Higher goal difference of all games in the group
• Higher number of goals scored in all games in the group
If these criteria still cannot decide, a draw shall decide on the classification.

If this is the case please refer to an earlier post Reply #540795

This would be unfair as Woodville played 6 as compared to South and West playing 5

Fair, with this result
3rd - Woodville +91
4th - West +52
5th - South +18

Fair, with this result
3rd - South 1561
4th - West 1535
5th - Woodville 1517

In every situation I can envision South in 3rd or 5th, but never 4th

Reply #540846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MEN: Woodville vs West (St Clair) and North vs Sturt (Hillcrest); NORWOOD (bye)

WOMEN: North vs Woodville (Hillcrest) and South vs West (Marion); NORWOOD (bye)

Does anybody have any facts as to the last time that the following happened:

Both Woodville teams in the finals?
Both Forestville teams not in the finals?
Both Norwood teams having the bye in the first round?

Reply #540848 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Woodville and South each won 3 games so the goal difference only applies between them. West only won 2 games therefore finish 3rd of the 3.

Reply #540850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA RULE
D.1.3 If 2 or more teams have the same win-loss record of all games in the group, the game(s) between these 2 or more teams shall decide on the classification. If the 2 or more teams have the same win-loss record of the games between them, further criteria will be applied in the following order:
If these criteria still cannot decide, a draw shall decide on the classification.

In the first instance the split is decided by games played between the 3 teams.

South 3 - 2
Woodville 3 - 3
West 2 - 3

Pretty simple, South 3rd, Woodville 4th, West 5th. End of discussion.

Reply #540852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup, agree with #852.
Win % of the tied teams mean South 3rd, Woodville 4th and West 5th.
Of course, this is yet another reason why the uneven rounds is ridiculous - another decision right up there with Super Sunday....

Reply #540857 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Except FIBA doesn't refer to % of games won - win loss record is determined by 2 points for a win, 1 for a loss. Woodville 9, South 8 and West 7. Yes South are disadvantaged by 1 less game between the 3 but some clubs disadvantaged by playing stronger clubs more often, others advantaged by playing weaker clubs amore often. Just like NBL or AFL. Guess what? Clubs know this going in (at start of season). What else? The best club on GF day will still win.

Reply #540868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the by law doesn't refer to point either.

Simply win-loss record.

Reply #540873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Premier League Women
Saturday 8 August
Elimination Final
6.30pm Woodville v West Adelaide at St Clair
Qualifying Final
6.30pm North Adelaide v South Adelaide at Hillcrest

Premier League Men
Saturday 8 August
Elimination Final
8.15pm North Adelaide v Sturt at Hillcrest
Qualifying Final
8.15pm Woodville v West Adelaide at St Clair

Reply #540875 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Win loss is defined by FIBA as 2 pts for a win, 1 for a loss.
However B SA appear to have used District ByLaw 1.15 d which says game ratio (ie % won) used where unequal number of games against each other. This not only seems fair but in keeping with precedence rules 1.2b in PL By-Laws.

Reply #540880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

razor completely saying the opposite thing within 2 hrs..

Reply #540890 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Admitted. Generally if not defined in bylaws, determination reverts to FIBA. I overlooked the clause deferring to the District bylaw. I was wrong.

Reply #540913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and only two of the finest stadiums being used on the weekend to showcase the first rounds of Premier League finals!!

Reply #540921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How St Clair is still standing I will never know. Hasn't changed since I played there for primary school basketball 15 years ago

Reply #540946 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

St Clair has not changed since I played there 37 years ago.. except the paint is flaking more, the toilet fixtures etc are rusting more, the ceiling is falling down in bits...

Reply #540953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ceilings been redone. That's about it since it opened

Reply #540961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The front entrance has also been redone and upgraded, not that that makes any difference to the actual courts.

Reply #540976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Council really needs to do it up. Toilets and change rooms are terrible. Not to mention the actual courts themselves, the main court currently has a massive dead spot right on the 3 point line.

Reply #540997 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Well written "Fact"

I think the "victim syndrome" and hate towards Forestville is quite amusing/sad they had a bad year so what, the Ladies had a really young team and I think a bit more experience and they will be great. The men had their moments once they gel its championship time again.

Looking forward to both Forestville teams being in finals next year.
This is my opinion I don't care about the HATE and the "keyboard warriors".

Reply #541013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville are going to do a hell of a lot of recruiting if the ladies want to play finals. Reserves are terrible and it's common knowledge some girls won't be back.

Reply #541017 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

As Jason said, its funny/sad that almost any topic regarding local leagues ends up in a hate fest with the eagles.

Yes they didn't do well this year. The men were only a win or two from finals and the girls were ok at different times considering most are 16-20 years old.

The fact is that they have both been at the pointy end for most of the last decade.
Not too many clubs can boast a 3 peat in both the mens and womens, perhaps that's where the hate comes from, success.

As for it being common knowledge some girls wont be back? If its so common tell us who? If an earlier cryptic post is true about the head coach going then i would suggest players would stay?

I guess before any of that is proven to be true we'll have to put up with more ill informed comment by the haters.

Reply #541028 | Report this post

Sturt  
Years ago

Sturt womens PL team is another club that didn't do so well this season, same plays! they need to recruit a experience coach for next season.

Reply #541087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahaha

sure

Reply #541091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Richard dickel has said she's gone, she's gone

Reply #541095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richard Dickle has taken a job in Norway.

Sharon will be in charge of that role, therefore I doubt she will sack herself.

Reply #541104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well considering richard dickel is gone I wouldn't say thats true just yet

Reply #541108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sharon, a coach who coached Forestville to what, second last, is going to be in charge of all the coaches? Nah

Reply #541195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am betting the negative anons are ex players playing at the club that actually did finish second last

Reply #541197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, third last. Not in the finals. Jess walked out because of Sharon, more will (as in actually said they will) if Sharon gets renewed. Which she won't

Reply #541198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah yeah yeah heard it all before, was the bench better at tigers or forestville?

Reply #541204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wife/ current player tells me a fair bit about what happens on that team. I guess first hand knowledge means zilch these days

Reply #541209 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Even if no one leaves, they'll still need to recruit well to challenge for finals. Reserves arent going well at all and there's no one worth writing home about in the 23s. Short of maybe the two who dropped out during the season to play a level down coming back up to sit on the bench again there aren't many who'd make the team

Reply #541210 | Report this post

Orbs  
Years ago

Of course that doesn't refer to the premier league girls in the 23s, jade Sam Morgan and Danni have been doing fantastically. No players outside the premier league squad are doing well enough to get a call up.

Reply #541212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would be the favourite to take over if Sharon isn't to coach

Reply #541284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aim is to bring someone new to the club in. Well was while Richard was there. Might change now, but you'd have to assume someone with his resume would still have his say listened to despite not being at the club anymore

Reply #541290 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

#195 That's a very narrow minded comment. You've based her ability to coach on one poor year. They have won 4 of the last 11 years and were second in another so focusing on just this year is short sighted. Do i think its time for a change, yes it probably is but lets not have this year's results tarnish a successful coaching career. As for who ever takes over, good luck to them, as the keyboard experts will be very quick to judge.

Reply #541297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah good point. It's Jess Ferguses fault they aren't in finals, not the coaches inability to deal with losing their best player.

Reply #541335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have heard that the club has already approached a CD from another club and are planning on putting strong things in place before he coming season.

Reply #541346 | Report this post

Feagle  
Years ago

No offer made to anyone. Will be a while before things are put in place and advertising and organising is done.

But I have heard that there are plans afoot to make an strong offer to a couple of people. Both of whom are in roles currently and are more southerly of the central base.

Reply #541349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nyberg and tucker is my guess, be a disastrous move if true

Reply #541352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of those at least has the right connections to make things happen. Especially on the boys side where the work is there too be done.

Reply #541364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they are referring to Mesecke and Nyberg, not Tucker.

Reply #541376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Connections but no communication skills

Reply #541379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Nyberg leave Southern?

Reply #541380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$$$

Reply #541381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably realised southern will never get anywhere

Reply #541385 | Report this post

Granymeade  
Years ago

Nyberg was a long time coach at Forestville. Would they try to go after either Willie or Mescke as well?

Reply #541388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Willie bahahahahahaha

Reply #541391 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

I'll add another bahahahahahaha to Mescke and probably the same for Tucker too. Is the Norway gig long term? Maybe they'll place someone from within in an interim role and wait for Dickel to return.
What's old Matho up to now days, he could make a return?

Reply #541397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it true Sturt would welcome an offer to PM

Reply #541406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm lost. Who has no communication skills?

Assuming the position is vacant & will be advertised who if anyone should Forestville target from within SA?

Reply #541414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

406, that is ridiculous. You clearly are getting your information from the wrong people. There is no way Sturt want to lose him.

Reply #541419 | Report this post

Hilarious  
Years ago

Leigh Scott maybe???

Reply #541421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leigh or Tucker? One to do Richard & one to do Andy's job maybe?

Reply #541424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#419 Not what is doing the rounds at the moment

Reply #541535 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

Hearing the same thing.

But that it is a certain parent with their own agenda has put himself in a position to try and make life difficult.

Reply #541572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe sturt are just hoping one of the jobs he keeps applying for he gets.

i hear he's had his pay cut, his job cut back and that he's being monitored very closely by certain committee people.

why does he stay? and why would sturt go through all that and not just replace him?

Reply #541599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not true that Sturt want him out. jealous ppl spreading rumors.

No matter how you look at it he is easily the most successful in the role in the history of the sport in SA.

Reply #541604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta love this politics in junior basketball

Reply #541607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe not everyone but there are more than a few at sturt who would be happy to see him gone

Reply #541616 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

Doesn't mean that they are right!

Just that they have an different opinion about how things should be done.

Might be a bit harsh for some people's liking. And from what I've heard its because he made a certain committee member follow club policy and have their kid stay with the team at classics. Like all other families in the club do.

Reply #541618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The poster who threw up Leigh Scott's name was obviously joking, as was the suggestion about Rashad.

Nyberg would be around the mark if he wanted it you'd think.

Reply #541632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except Dickel himself has made it clear they aren't looking.

Forestville will manage it internally until he returns in March.

Reply #541634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why Nyberg would leave Southern for the mess at Forestville. But I think he should be high on their list, along with Mesecke. They should sound out both & see if they'll move for $$.

Reply #541642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

642, the mess at Forestville is nowhere near the size of the mess at Southern. There's your answer.

Reply #541643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern is a social club playing in a district competition, committee members past and present looking after their or their children's interests!

Reply #541645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#642 Forestville aren't looking. Stop positioning yourself for a job that doesn't exist.

Reply #541647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#647, OK if you say so. Time will tell.

Reply #541667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nyberg at tigers, under 16 boys doing well but that team was good in under 14's anyway and they have a good coach, under 12 div 1 girls 6-6, then every other division 1 team that play on Friday nights has less than 3 wins, I wonder if the 50k being paid by the club is really worth it

Reply #541672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

672, the problems that have caused that started way before Nyberg got there. It would take him years to fix their mess.

Reply #541673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes agree the mess did start years ago and he should be given time to amend things on the boys side of things there are two coaches that have destroyed two years of development, all for the sake of a player who was never going to make it

Reply #541674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would those coaches be

Reply #541675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon they could pick up Ben McDonald from Woodville pretty easy if they get that desperate. Don't think Woodville would put up that much of a fight

Reply #541679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two coaches?? More like two committee members destroyed junior development and development of senior teams trying to push the case for one player!

Reply #541683 | Report this post

Player  
Years ago

Like to also know who this one player is ?

Reply #541700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nyberg and the Tigers are on the right track. Club unity, player numbers, committee and key coaching personnel are all (or about to be, eg. mens coach) on the right track.

Reply #541704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ rubbish

Reply #541709 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:49 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754