Tom
Years ago

Is Anyone Excited by Adelaides Roster?

After seeing some hype about Nate Jawai I got really pumped about the upcoming season but then Boti and a small NBL news twitter account argued back and forth about it (pretty funny actually dude got in Boti's head) in the end Boti said there was zero money left which had me wondering, how the hell is that possible with this crappy roster so far? What happened to new ownership group? If Ebi Ere is the 2nd import I'll be pissed, look at other teams talent and look at ours and the only players to get excited are DJ and Gibbo and maybe Creek if he puts it together. Is it just me or does this team look like guaranteed bottom dwellers.

Topic #37768 | Report this topic

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

100% agree mate, it looks like the new owners have just said "that'll do" and gone with a 2 man team. If you look on the bright side we haven't seen McNeaile play so hopefully he is good and maybe we are targeting a bigger fish instead of Ere. Isaac, does anyone from the 36ers read this forum? I just hope that in years to come they listen to fans opinions more.

Reply #545113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every non sixers fan is excited about their roster

Reply #545117 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

im excited by the crows roster

Reply #545121 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The Sixers will be in the mix come finals time.

Reply #545122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This season will be so close I think any of the teams could be in the mix come finals time

Reply #545123 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tom, where has the money gone?

Johnson (all-star five candidate, past club MVP)
Gibson (was one of the only NBL players in recent Boomers team - one of the best local PGs, and can play both ends)
Petrie (fringe Boomer a year or so ago, plays both ends)
Walker (did surprisingly well in a Boomers B team last season from memory)
Creek (always showing promise, though some might wonder if he'll reach his ceiling)
Import
Import
Teys (would've earned a payrise - was starting in a finals team)
benchie
benchie

People complained about Wilson all last pre-season (I think because he doesn't look cool) and then he was top-tier in scoring and helped the club make the post-season. The new guy might be just as useful.

If you want to complain about the Sixers, I think the marketing and social media efforts deserve a lot of criticism. The club has done almost nothing to build interest in the roster.

Reply #545124 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Is it just me or does this team look like guaranteed bottom dwellers."

It is just you

Reply #545125 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Dunno.

I think it is a squad that probably really suits nbl style ... With dj , walker and Petrie will play a lot of the four and we will play uptempo.

But a lot of teams have bigs that will trouble us ..

I think this Sixers team will love and die by the ability to play the game on their terms , and their outside shots dropping...

Reply #545127 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on Phil. You suspect that's why they've gone for two imports who can shoot the three.

Reply #545130 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It's not going to be a cellar dwelling or boring team, it just doesn't have the new names or exciting imports at this point that put asses on seats. They will be around the mark, but they wont have the next big NBA cross-over story

Reply #545131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's the same problem with Perth. They keep the majority of their roster so there's less exciting big name signings in the off season. But the advantage is the team chemistry which goes a long way

Reply #545132 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Every off season people lose their minds at the NBA draft pick imports.

Ben Pepper was an NBA draft pick.

Chemistry goes a long way in the NBL.

MU last year stacked their team and failed. Every year there is an on paper team that fails. Every year there is a team who makes play offs that people wrote off.

Reply #545149 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The marekting is so insanely poor and pretty non existant its just rude. As for the roster, I am/was very excaited about teh Aussie core, but the imports we are getting I dont see much reason to get excited about. Mcneil is cheap and perhaps is good for how little they are payting him, but Ebe just seems like a lazy pick, that 8 years ago I wouldve lost my shit over.... 8 years ago.

As some have already said itll be a tight comp like every year and if you find yourself winning the majority of the 1-5 margin games decided in the last 2 mins your sweet, but could just as easily finish bottom 3. 36ers wont win the title, and call me greedy but I never get too excited when we arent a legit shot at it based on roster.

Reply #545152 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Very true about on paper teams failing I just hope that continuity prevails.

Isaac, do you know how many young people would love to be social media manager of a pro sports team. That was my first job and I loved it. They need someone to come in record training and get interviews with players and put it on Twitter, Snapchat, Periscope and YouTube. Someone in high school or university would do it for cheap or even just experience.

Reply #545154 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Tom, was thinking the same thing ie how many fan with a hlaf decent concept of the englihs language cold interview players etc ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! Most fans spend 23hours a day with the heads in their social media, facebook is soooo easy to advertise on.

Reply #545160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For some reason I don't think this roster is all done and dusted

Reply #545166 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

"how many fan with a hlaf decent concept of the englihs language cold interview players etc"

I take it you are not applying for the position Kobe? Sorry dude, not attacking you or anything, was just funny three spelling errors in one sentence about people with a concept of the English language.

Reply #545170 | Report this post

Dman  
Years ago

Even the Crocs will finish ahead of the sixers.

Reply #545171 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Adelaide have a great core of proven Australian players in Johnson, Petrie, Gibson, Walker, Teys and Creek. I think most teams would be happy to have players of their caliber amongst their group.

McNeil hasn't played a game yet and there is still one import to come so its hard to pass judgement on that basis.

They will certainly be competitive.

Reply #545175 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"how many fan with a hlaf decent concept of the englihs language cold interview players etc"

I take it you are not applying for the position Kobe? Sorry dude, not attacking you or anything, was just funny three spelling errors in one sentence about people with a concept of the English language.

Feel free to Google the word 'irony', mate.

Reply #545176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, obviously social media is an easy spot to fill if you have good oversight. I have no idea what they think they're doing, but they've lost me.

Reply #545179 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Bulldog That is pretty funny! This is what i get for typing whilst at work! Internet karma haha And no wouldnt be me anyways im too lazy but someone would love the role!

Reply #545185 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

Just don't understand what going on here with our club .
Just think if anyone bought a team you would be just pumping out information and positive vibes madly .
It was hard enough to to remain viable with crowds getting , so if drop even more then dont see how get head above water.
We were all hoping with obviously cheap 1 st option we were getting like other clubs a premium import , but then find out weeks ago it almost certainly a over the hill Ere and here weeks on and most rosters filled we still don't know .

Reply #545211 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Don't you guys think it would be prudent to see McNeil play before calling him cheap?

Reply #545228 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

How is Ere over the hill? Have you even seen him play lately?

The guy is a proven winner, makes people around him better, has been playing in decent Euro leagues. Joey knows his strengths and will play to them.

Everyone knocking the Ere signing is going to end up with significant egg on their faces I reckon.

If/when the Sixers sign Jawai, I reckon it's a pretty strong squad. Plenty of talent and experience (especially playoff experience) and a great coach.
Why people get all upset in the pre-season is beyond me. Not one team has proven anything yet, championships aren't won on paper.

Reply #545229 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think the answer to the OP's question is no, no-one is excited by the roster. But that doesn't mean its a bad roster. There is a lot of great Australian talent on our team and I think the club has done well to retain that core.

I think adding Walker was a very nice move that will take a lot of pressure off Petrie to play excessive minutes and gives us another experienced, hard-nosed guy we can rely on.

Losing Wilson hurts our backcourt speed and penetration quite a lot, but it might not matter too much. Creek showed last season that he has become much better at attacking the basket. If McNeail and Ere's shooting can spread the floor better than we did last season, things might really open up inside for Mitch and DJ.

For me, the question marks over defence and toughness in the paint remain with this team, but it certainly looks like a solid roster to me.

Reply #545232 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If this is the best roster that Adelaide could get with the money they have to spend, then they've either spent poorly, or other teams are spending their way into bankruptcy.

Reply #545237 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The Jawai talk is crap. It is Wildcats or no one.

Reply #545243 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The Jawai talk is crap. It is Wildcats or no one.

Really? We'll see.

Reply #545254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree GWB

Reply #545258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide can't afford Jawai

Reply #545259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce

Reply #545265 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Adelaide can't afford Jawai

They can't right now, but they're trying to find a way to. We'll know one way or another this week.

Reply #545269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would United be interested in Jawai?

Reply #545272 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Jawai is going to Perth.

Reply #545292 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Blame for a lack of excitement falls entirely on the club. Are they promoting their players, talking them up, building interest? Nothing that I've seen on Twitter.

The other day there was a tweet with a photo of Ingles and it was sideways. There are loads of things they could be putting out there each day.

Reply #545311 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

The Adelaide 36ers are acting like the NBL prior to this season - asleep to all opportunities. I am not filled with expectations of the club this year from an advertising perspective.

Reply #545330 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I was in a little bit of excitement about Jawai..Too good to be true. To quote a phrase. I'm learning that, these days...nevertheless, four players have committed to our club for three years, and that's something different here..

Reply #545477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems the NBL is moving forward and the Sixers moving back. It's not just Twitter it's Facebook and the website updates (or lack of) or communication with members and then the team selected is just average.
Will have competitive games but will not win or make playoffs.
I know we always bag owners but previous management did a lot more to build relationships. New one sending it backwards again.
Can't help but wonder is this a team Joey has just put together with more interest in Brisbane next year.
I'm out.

Reply #545482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think joey has no control over it either. has gotten worse since new owners have come in. wasn't there a warning about titanium and associates before .. we did call it the fortress for a while ...

Reply #545501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely if Ere is coming Joey has control. why else would you go for the old man unless their was a personal connection as they have.

Reply #545522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide will be fine i see them as a top 6 or 7 team for sure

Reply #545524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they will scrape in to the top 8

Reply #545526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754