Mike
Years ago

Australian pro games over officiated

Watched the LSU game tonight. I think we need to open the game up more to make it more entertaining.

Topic #37778 | Report this topic

Titfortat  
Years ago

Australians have long been regarded well around the globe as excellent officials, however the one knock has been feel for the game. We've been told we're too robotic and call the game down the line instead of having the right feel of when a call should or shouldn't be made and making the right call when it should be made.
Unfortunately feel for the game in an officiating sense can't be taught. As for making games more open and exciting, it's a fine line between being open and out of control, and from what I've stated above I don't believe we have the depth of officials to call games more openly.

Reply #545276 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I was at the game last night LSU v UTD and thought the officials let a fair bit go, but the way NBL teams play there generally isn't much room given for that open style of play we crave.

Reply #545312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They call it tight so players will take the hint and play cleaner defence, thus giving the offence more opportunity. If you let more go, play naturally gets rougher and the guy with the ball gets mugged.

Unfortunately, I think they're working against players used to playing a certain way, looking for any defensive edge, and taught that hustle and playing tough is best.

Perhaps the best approach for exciting basketball is instead adjusting spacing through rules (NBA obviously has a lot of examples there) rather than what's being tried now.

Or choosing a penalty that doesn't break play as much as free throws or a side ball. In soccer, a free kick not in a scoring position often happens very quickly. Same in the AFL or netball.

Reply #545318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills just needs to stfu and not talk for minutes whilst the game is on. Equally I heard that the United coach was complaining about a 3 sec call in Dandenong and was told by some wanker ref, Oh no I won't be calling that as it's only an exhibition game.
DD needs to learn how to adjust to the poor reffing decisions he will undoubtedly encounter in the reason season, otherwise he will be ejected.

Reply #545393 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

There was a thread recently where people complained about refs calling by feel and not by the rules. (I was one of them.)

All this relaxing the rules and letting the game flow by calling less fouls leads to players getting lazy about trying to stick to the rules, and eventually we end up watching basketbrawl rather than the beautiful game of skill which we want to see.

Let the soft stuff go, sure, but not the nasty or brutal stuff which is intended to intimidate skilled attackers.

Reply #545417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, but the NBL has gone on record saying Australian basketball is all about grit and grind. Don't expect anything much to change in a hurry, just expect more of the same and you won't be so disappointed during the coming season.

Reply #545421 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754