Isaac
Years ago

Schedule for 36ers and Crocs games in NT

THE Adelaide 36ers' Top End visit next month will have a distinct Filipino flavour.

The National Basketball League club has committed to three exhibition games in Palmerston and Darwin between September 6 and 10 against the Townsville Crocodiles and Philippines team Rain or Shine.

It is the second year of the 36ers’ two-year deal with Basketball NT and the City of Palmerston, with negotiations set to take place to lock in another arrangement.
TOP END INVITATIONAL SCHEDULE

Game 1: Adelaide 36ers v Rain or Shine (Palmerston Recreation Centre, Sunday, September 6, 5pm)

Game 2: Adelaide 36ers v Townsville Crocodiles (Darwin Basketball Stadium, Wednesday, September 9, 7.30pm)

Game 3: Adelaide 36ers v Townsville Crocodiles (Palmerston Recreation Centre, Thursday, September 10, 7.30pm)
Farley said the decision to bring Rain or Shine, a past winner of the Philippine Basketball Association Governor’s Cup, was based on the country’s proximity to the Top End.

"What we’re trying to do is bring high-profile teams and even though it’s not a national team, basketball is an obsession in the Philippines," Farley said.

“There’s a big Filipino population in the NT — and the Top End particularly — and we think whether it’s a club team or national team from the Philippines it’s going to generate strong interest and engagement.
Full story

(Linked article appears to have a typo in the schedule.)

Topic #37801 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

wow.. thats certainly a different name. I actually thought for a second the story was saying 'Rain or Shine' as if the game could be played on an outside ball court. Thats the actual name of the team though.

Reply #545817 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yeah, I had to read that twice, reminded me of the feed talking about social club names with the best one being "bye".

Reply #545822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philo teams are named after the sponsor, like "Talk and Text" and "Barako Bull"

Reply #545823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a Filipino senior mens league in Darwin. Amazed me when I heard it existed.

Reply #545826 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Incidentally, I didn't hear about this from the 36ers, but from a feed of daily NBL media mentions. And the club played a trial game against Norwood the other day and the only place I've seen that mentioned is on Hoops. Arghhh.

Reply #545830 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

i think this is great

Reply #545831 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

A friend of mine went to a Filipino Ball game a couple of years back in Manila.. said the place was going off!

Reply #545840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i remember they did this last season as well although back then Dean and Joey came out and said this is part of a plan to build a relationship with darwin like Hawthorn has in Tasmania.

As you point out Isaac did not come form club but even more surprising (because that doesn't surprise us anymore) is that there is not even a comment form the club or some one from it

Reply #545848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no, the 36ers were too busy releasing Sam Johns award!!!!

Reply #545858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 sixers played a scratch game which was essentially a hit out for norwood in their week off before the grand final. not sure it was as sixers scratch game more a favour to friends. but you are right, no communication they have taken my money for my membership before the draw was out, the draw does not thrill me what so ever, no communication about signings and I do get an email it is usually after I have read it on line or been told about it in the local basketball stadium.

I understand about being short staffed...not hard to keep facebook up dated etc.

Reply #545859 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'859, fine to not publicise it in advance if they/Norwood preferred it be private, but it's an opportunity to get some photos of players in action, introduce new guys, etc.

Reply #545866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is my understanding all the staff remain the same from the previous ownership, may explain why we continue to have the same problems year after year. I also heard some interesting facts about the sale contract, most of which I will not divulge publicly.

There will be one new feature in the coming season however but sadly it isn't an upgrade. The old school scoreboard on the entrance end which occasionally showed individual points & fouls will not be used and the part of the scoreboard on the central scoreboard that shows the current 5 points and fouls most likely won't be used either.

Reply #545867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It gets better. Just saw this NT story on Facebook and not the 36ers page but someone else has put the article and link up with old logo from a couple of years ago and finally get a share from Gibson.
To be honest it's all getting really embarrassing for our club.

Reply #545869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

believed it a requirement of the league / FIBA to have individual points and fouls displayed.

Reply #545886 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I guess I will be the first to say "well Done Townsville" as it take 2 teams to play and nobody else wants to give them credit for trying to grow the game and their fanbase

I wonder if they mention this up there

Reply #545921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well to be fair last year Adelaide arranged it and invited Townsville to join them so this should be all about Adelaide.
All teams need pre season games so Townsville needed it.

Reply #545932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What time is the game today/tonight?

Reply #548312 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:32 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754