Anonymous
Years ago

Is An Asian Champions League on the agenda?

Noted this comment from LK in yesterday's announcement:

"We are already in direct communication with the NBA and well on the way to building bridges with both the Chinese and Philippines basketball leagues with a view to working closely with them to grow the game and capitalise on its popularity in our region."

Would be great if we could strengthen ties with the Asian leagues, the two referenced there are extremely popular.

Topic #37880 | Report this topic

FYI  
Years ago

NBL to pick up the pieces of the Asian Champions League that was set up by some hard working people and destroyed by Basketball Australia stupidity.

This is where the money is for the NBL

Reply #547976 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Bloody oath there should be an Asian Champions League, how it isnt around already is ridiculous in my opionion

Reply #547979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pan Asian league is the end game

Reply #547996 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ah yes, the money is in Asia... just like that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...

Reply #548076 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

An Asian Champions League would be so awesome. If the TV rights are sold into China there could be serious money available as an incentive for teams to participate and take it seriously.

Diehard basketball tragics like me have wanted something like this for so long that it would be very mean for LK to get our hopes up if it is not going to amount to anything.

Reply #548126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he may be more motivated for it to happen than you. He loves money most of all and that is the jackpot he is chasing,

Reply #548132 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Anon, he may be a businessman but he is also passionate about the game. He's putting a lot of his own money into fixing the NBL and good on him.

Don't assume everything a businessman does is all about making more money. I'm sure that Lindsay Fox's car collection isn't there to make money for him; it's to satisfy a passion.

Reply #548180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest, I don't really care if it indeed is the chase for the dollar that is driving this. Perhaps we have needed someone with a more ruthless commercial focus instead of these ex-players who "love the game" administrating our premier competition.

Reply #548181 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I've posted about this a million times before! It is a pipe-dream unless it is funded by the NBA Asia office and the standard across East Asia or SE Asia is raised dramatically. Otherwise, the competition will simply either run out of money, send clubs broke, or attract minimal interest.

FIBA Asia has just moved their office to Lebanon (from Malaysia), so their focus has moved alot further west than what it was previously.

Australian club teams would kill anything East Asia or SE Asia has to offer, and that includes both Chinese club sides and (outside of the Chinese national team) any other national side in East Asia or SE Asia. I'm fat, slow, and never played ABL, yet me and a bunch of students / expats regularly scrimmage, compete with, and occasionally beat the Malaysian national team.

Every other pan-Asian or SE-Asian league that has been implemented has essentially failed or exists solely due to the generosity of benefactors (e.g. Tony Fernandes and Erick Thohir with the ASEAN Basketball League).

Fan support outside of China or the Philippines for basketball is practically non-existent.

Australian basketball should focus on getting its product right first and marketing itself as an attractive financial option for D-League and second-tier Australian players who won't make the NBA. That will take time and patience. There is no easy fix.

Australian basketball fans need to be patient! The new NBL hasn't even started yet.

Source: I live in Asia and attend ASEAN Basketball League matches (when they are scheduled and ACTUALLY played when schedule)!

Reply #548434 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754