Gossip guy
Years ago

Big V SCM to go conferences next year?

Heard today from a reasonably reliable source that Big V will have two conferences of 8 next year and D1M will be a 14 team competition.

Knox will enter and Casey and Latrobe will be promoted to bring numbers up to 16

Topic #37930 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old news.

I doubt anyone is surprised.

Reply #549070 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Well I know for sure Knox is in both SC Men and Woman but I have no idea about what the conference deal will be. Not sure if its good or bad either, as long as the best teams play in the last 2 weeks of Finals I'm normally happy...

Reply #549074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Melton think they across the line into SCM as well.

Reply #549075 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

DMac will coach Knox SCM.

Reply #549107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt not doing it?

Reply #549117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood and Corio want SEABL.

Reply #549124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood and Corio Bay are not ready for SEABL

Reply #549128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If DJ and the boys from the AIS can win a reasonable number of games and be competitive - than I am sure that Ringwood would do very well in SEABL

Reply #549169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL isn't just about the team being competitive though is it, there is more to it than just the players. Ask the question, can Ringwood sustain the cost and is their venue good enough and are they going to be able to stay in SEABL?

Last thing SEABL needs is a team that goes broke after one season and fails to even make SCM the next!

Reply #549172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope they split the conferences into the good teams and the teams just making up the numbers...

Reply #549174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay and Ringwood want SEABL?

Corio Bay
- under 18/1 boys 7th in metro 2
- under 16/1 boys 7th in metro 3
Ringwood
- under 18/1 boys 4th in metro 2
- under 16/1 boys 7th in VC reserve

Who are they ever going to get to play for them unless the team is made up completely of outsiders, and if that is the case, what's the point?

Reply #549177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio bay have worse facilities than Ringwood!

Both are unhappy with the level of comp in the league which with ore teams will only dilute further

Reply #549193 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Just commenting on the speculation.

I assume someone in the BigV Office is a massive NBA fan and thinks conferences are the best system. (Mind you the seabl are too considering their conferences serve no purpose at all!)

If this happens in BigV as suggested above then the SCM men's competition will have grown from 8 to 16 teams since 2011.

The reports on the 2015 competition were that SCM was a pretty good standard in terms of Starting Five's, but that depth dropped away rapidly.

I said this in another thread but in terms of talent the structure of the league is already wrong - too many teams at the top and not enough at the bottom. if they make this move it will just make it worse.

Reply #549210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue is guys getting starts should be 6th/7th man. when the comp was more condensed these guys weren't starting and the level of import used to be a lot better.

Reply #549225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Corio Bay and Ringwood want SEABL?

Corio Bay
- under 18/1 boys 7th in metro 2
- under 16/1 boys 7th in metro 3
Ringwood
- under 18/1 boys 4th in metro 2
- under 16/1 boys 7th in VC reserve"

Point in case.

Where's the talent or reason to provide a level of competition so far above the standard of players your system is producing?

You place unnecessary expense on your program to buy a team to be competitive as opposed to develop one from your junior base.

Then there's the venues... OMG...

Reply #549233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Corio Bay and Ringwood have confirmed they will be in SCM next season

Reply #549239 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting topic, especially where we are looking at Big V and SEABL models, one already having a conference format and the other possibly going this way.

I for one don't mind the conferences, but find that they are not always properly structured in their competition. If we go conferences in the Big V we need to look at these issues people have presented to see how a conference structure will be best for the competition.

I know there is a bit of a gap between those SEABL teams at the bottom and looking at a 16 team competition as a whole it could be suggested the talent pool is too thin, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that bad.

We have to accept that not everyone will win and teams will lose,k some badly and some in lots of close games. So, what is the answer, well that will take some effort to properly format the league and also some time to make things work.

I can see how a two tiered (8 team per conference) competition can work for SCM, if we adopt a few policy guidelines to help it work itself out over time.

The number of imports needs looking at.
The amount spent on imports could be looked at.
The number of juniors from that program in the team needs some quantification.
A reasonable limit on court time for imports if a team has two or more could be applied.

These are just some suggestions we could consider and the conferences could easily be divided equally or split by areas to minimise travel, but cross conference games need to be included and a combined SCM title for the two conference winners kind of like SEABL would be awesome IMHO...

In the end, if the Big V and BA really want to make the State league something special, I believe we have the teams to do it, we just need to sit down and be serious about how we do it and of course have the ability to control the things we implement, that could be the hardest thing of all.

Reply #549252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ringwood or Corio are concerned they aren't being challenged enough at BigV level maybe they should save some money and just go with one import or none and field a team completely from their Representative feeder system....

Reply #549258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's seniors don't know why everyone Isco obsessed with junior local content! Doesn't happen in any sport so if you have a few in your teams it's a bonus

Reply #549285 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ you are of course correct, it is seniors, so when I make reference to juniors I am talking youth league who are 23 and under.

Not quite the juniors I believe you may be referring to, but I could be wrong of course...

Reply #549290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cb & Ringwood operate within the rules provided, issue is the resources some teams have compared to others plus new teams only widens the gap. It was bad enough with the bottom 4 being horrible and flogged by the top 2/3 clubs, add a couple more teams & it will only create a larger bottom end!

Surely the more ugly ges each week isn't good for theleague

Reply #549295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Limiting court time for imports lol that's funny

Reply #549302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #549303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone has said that Ringwood and CB don't operate within the rules. The problem for me is that it is clubs like them that sprout on about 'the pathway' but now it seems they look to join a league where it is unlikely any of their juniors will ever play.

To me Ringwood and CB to SEABL means the pathway is a crock.

I know this will probably be scoffed at, but in relation to conferences, I was very sceptical when the VJBL came up with VC and VC Reserve system at the halfway mark of the season, but after 5 or so years, it seems to work. Perhaps that's an alternative?

Reply #549320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with that anon^ also what is wrong with looking at imports and placing some limit on them? If a club has two or three, is it not an idea to limit how many are on court together or do something to place some fairness into the competition so clubs don't just go and buy championships?

Anon posters with no better ideas should just shut the freak up!

Reply #549391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melton to play SCM next year

Reply #549395 | Report this post

nixnax  
Years ago

Yep Melton will be in SCM, along with Casey and the addition on Knox.

Keysbrough promoted to D1M

Sth Pen will be dropping down to D2M at their request

Wallan will enter D2M, Horsham possibly returning

Will look like this
SCM 16 teams, 2 conferences
D1M straight comp of 14 teams
D2M Straight comp of 11 or 12 teams

Structure will be trialled for one year then reviewed.

Reply #549608 | Report this post

Ariel  
Years ago

What are LaTrobes plans? They have been SCM before and know what it takes to be successful at that level.

Reply #549619 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

nixnax - Southern Pen will be dropping to D2 at their request? I wouldn't think so champ.

Reply #549661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Casey will need to overhaul their coaching panel if it wants to be competetive in SCM. No good having a love in and thinking all will be right.

Reply #549677 | Report this post

Q  
Years ago

For a club the size of Casey why are they not in SCM already.

Should be straight there. Look at Corio Bay! Worked for them.

Reply #549749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it would be up to them 'Q', if they think Div 1 Big V is where they are at then who is to say that isn't where they are best suited? If they want to move up, all they need do is apply and satisfy some criteria and then have a go at SCM. I agree, they seem to be big enough, even bigger than CB, but do they have what it takes, only they know that.

Reply #549755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey are definitely bigger than CB

Reply #549768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Captain obvious^

Reply #549769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Medium term casey should be looking to SEABL if the get a better facility/upgrade sorted, the area is going gang busters with growth so more than big enough to support dandy/franks & casey down that way

Reply #549771 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

CB have good management, no politics they just get things done.

Great club.

Reply #549779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people think every club is like that 'A', others always see things differently. Life must be great through your eyes, good for you!

Reply #549781 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

The city of Casey has a population of 293,000 (as of 1st January 2015) - expected to grow annually.

City of Geelong has population of 172,000 (at the same time) - expected to remain stable

In terms of Mens basketball that supports
Casey D1M & YL2

Geelong SEABL, SCM(CB), D1M, YL1 & YL2(CB)

Something needs to be done about and it needs to be looked into why that area has not reached its potential

At the very least Casey should be dominating SCM

Reply #549783 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

In addition to this the expect population of Casey in 2020 is 330,000

One of the fastest growing areas in Australia

Reply #549785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice facts @Facts, can't argue with those figures, but dominating purely on population is a stretch. Nevertheless are they in line to getting council support, maybe for a bigger stadium to cater for all this growth? Once they get the right facilities, numbers will bring in cash and they can certainly look to SCM or SEABL, why not?

Reply #549793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Council support was the reason for the name change from Cranbourne to Casey

Reply #549796 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looking at the population 10 years ago when youngsters were choosing their sports would provide a more accurate guide. If Casey don't grow into a much stronger club in the next 5-10 after this population boom then questions could be asked.

Reply #549798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Council support and being called the Cranbourne "ICE" wasn`t a very positive sounding name given the drug issues aroudn those areas.

For those who ay that they "should be dominating" isn`t it clear what the answer is??

Clearly the people that are running it are not doing a good job nor have they put in place the processes to acheive that. Apart from making a final last year and losing to a small country side in Sheparton they have not acheived anything in seniors sine there inclusion.

They then bought there way in D1 and will attempt to do the same into SCM.

Dispite the pool and humber of players to draw on the people there who have the past Dandenong contacts are hell bent on using the old connections to make the teams remotely competitive.

facts are facts, if they use even 50% local talent they dont compete at D2 level.

Reply #549799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To get to those levels and do well you need to spend the money to get the coaches in. Not just on senior teams NOW. Mummy and Daddy coaches and a few youth league players scattered through the program here and there doesn`t get it done.

They will keep growing in numbers by default due to the population. But is it qty or quality.

Reply #549802 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754