Isaac
Years ago

Why David West gave back $11 million to join Spurs

West had a $12.5 million contract option on the third year of his $36 million Indiana Pacers deal - and walked away to accept a $1.4 million veteran's minimum with the Spurs. To those who know West – his principle, his depth, his character – they understand his choice was no choice at all. Those who know him understand that he has carefully invested his money, lived amid modest means. It took him six years to buy a new car and a new house upon entering the NBA. He's a voracious volunteer and donator of time and money.

David West does drive a Lexus now.

He bought it over a decade ago.
Full story

Topic #38063 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

He'll fit in well at the Spurs.

Reply #551741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't get a championship there

Reply #551760 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Spurs have a really good chance this year.

But as always, it'll rely on a good run with injuries and good form at the right time of year. If Aldridge slots in nicely and Leonard takes the next step, that'd be just lovely as well.

Reply #551772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parker is the big X-Factor for the Spurs. I think they can weather Manu and Duncan slowing down further, but if Parker struggles this year with his healthy and productivity it will hurt.

Reply #551793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ 100% agree, anon. Parker isn't going to be able to guard elite PGs, but if he's playing well enough that they can't guard him either, Spurs are a good shot.

Reply #551794 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Totally agree Anon.

Parker has actually slowed down more than the others over the past 2 years. Manu struggled in the 2013 finals and some predicted his demise, but with a reduced role he's managed to stay effective since then. Duncan just keeps rolling along. But Parker relies more on speed and has slowed a touch.

It's definitely a major factor. I hope Patty Mills can step up and play major minutes, maybe they'll look to rest Parker and play him 25 mins a game during the regular season

Reply #551804 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Spurs are my pick for the title, its crazy how they have been able to keep the band together and now added 2 very solid additions. Id expect them to be a little but more aggressive with trades this season for the play off run... but cant aee a team beating them 4 times out of 7.

Reply #551816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parker had a poor Eurobasket, I definitely feel like they'll rest him a lot this year for the playoffs they're guaranteed to make.

Reply #551817 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I am very disappointed at the suggestion by West that Bird and Vogel's end of season's comments regarding Hibbert were somehow negative and lacking in class.

That it even came into his consideration to leave is also a disappointment.

Reply #551823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troll

Reply #551825 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

West - great veteran to come off the bench. Adds some toughness to that team, as well as an excellent mid range shooter.

Lemarcus is probably a bit better than "a solid addition". Shooting on that team is going to be interesting with the spurs running pick and pop plays like crazy.

People are sleeping on their backcourt losses a little as they look a little thin here. Really a huge opportunity for Patty to step up. It will be interesting to see if they do their usual spurs magic and resurrect the careers of either Jimmer or McCallum as they are going to need some help behind the arc.

As much as it pains me, you just know they will be around the mark come WC finals time.

Reply #551894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parker doesn't have to gaurd elite guards Kawai can do that

Reply #551951 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754