Isaac
Years ago

United vs Crocs, Oct 21

One of two games on tonight, breaking the no-games drought of the last couple of days.

Crocs got the Kings, but aren't a fancied team. United are undefeated and at home with a strong roster. Can't see it ending well for Townsville who then get to face Perth in Perth two days later!

What's your tip?

Topic #38259 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

United didn't impress me last Friday. They’ll need to produce better than that if they’re to get their season really going, in the lead up to matches against Cairns and Perth.

From what I’ve seen of Townsville, Jett has impressed- at times- while Conklin has yet to really hit his straps. Conklin is the key- if Townsville want this win, pump it inside and maybe he can wreak Havoc on United like Ogilvy did, and like DJ and Petrie did in the first half before going off the boil a bit in the second half last Friday.

Reply #556716 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In terms of a tip, Townsville will be scrambling to get a hand on the 3's after what Blanchfield did to them last time and what Kickert did on the weekend. The defenders will be forced to leave plenty of room for Warrick, who will have his best game yet and United will win by about 15 again, except death by a different poison this time.

Reply #556719 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm rooting for Blanchfield to destroy us again just to highlight to management how stupid it was to let him walk for any dollar sum.

Reply #556749 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

But it will be United by double figures.

Reply #556751 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

My picks would normally be the home sides, but the league is so close and I am loving it. Still, probably the home sides will get the chokkies.

Reply #556783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United court announcer is really annoying.

Really needs some new material.

Reply #556797 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Should be United by about 100.

Reply #556798 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That wasn't even close to counting.

Reply #556799 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

A referee singled a three pointer when the shot was clearly after the buzzer? Are you serious????

Reply #556800 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, this has to be said, I wonder who else noticed how many walks these officials allowed in that first quarter, seriously?

Oh, and near the end when Conklin drove in against Kickert who had position in front of the ring, had his hands up the whole time and stepped backwards as Conklin caused all the contact, then put up a shot that missed.

Just a NO CALL, why the hell do these officials make an unnecessary and incorrect call on the defender, who didn't flop and just stood his ground?

I even looked at it in slow motion an a couple of replays, so bloody inconsistent, terrible officiating IMO...

No wonder players feel they have to flop!

PS. Does the United Coach say 'Ohright' too often, or is it just me???

Reply #556804 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Vent over :)

Reply #556805 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Embarrassing stuff, Crocs.

Reply #556809 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bart Simpson: "Stop, stop! He's already dead!".

If United don't win the Comp this year it would be an almighty choke.

Reply #556811 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

AngusH closest on the prediction so far.

Reply #556812 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Holt should have got a training camp invite. Dude is legit!

Reply #556816 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

JayZeuss!
Who will stop United?

Reply #556818 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

United is legit generally. Looking very sharp at both ends.

Townsville, not so much.

Reply #556820 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Igbo can play. There should have been more competition for his signature.

Reply #556821 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Iggy - auto correct. Waphat isn't an Igbo?

Reply #556822 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Whilst Goulding will be happy to be part of a great team, he must be frustrated that he's not the only big dog in town now (especially given he'd want to press his claims for Rio). Funnily, Blanchfield is making a fairly strong case.

Reply #556826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jett makes that Kings dude look like a stud.

Reply #556827 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Poor Townsville there will be a few more nights like this, but unlucky to face United twice so early on when they are clearly clicking like a playoff team already! I cant see United losing a 3 game series, it feels so odd saying so so early on, but i just dont see them having struggling at all.

Reply #556828 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Dennis' subs must be frustrating to play under. As soon as a player makes even the tiniest mistake, Dennis pulls them (unless your name is Conklin).

It appeared like Maynard yelled and gestured to Dennis his frustration with being pulled after commiting a foul.

Reply #556829 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Is Adnan a shooter in SEABL, because those are two horrible airballed threes?

I've tuned mostly out of this snoozefest, but any particular reason behind Warrick's 5 minutes of play time outside of the big lead?

Reply #556831 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah Conklin is definitely playing by a different set of rules compared to the others on that team it appears. He really wants his stats, no matter what. I cant figure out if United are just insanely great or the Crocs are just that pitiful. That was one of the harder games to watch...

Reply #556835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When are united going to get development players who are developable

Reply #556836 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I traded him into my DT this week. That's why he only played 6 mins AngusH.

Reply #556837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe Melbourne pinched Blanchfield this season.

Like they needed him. TSV need him back desperately.

Reply #556838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only team I could see challenging Melbourne would be a full strength Illawarra with the likely addition of a second import mid season.

Reply #556842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Perth will challenge United...they will beast United inside and also play good defence.

Reply #556844 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Nah cant see Perth having the weapons offensively to cause them much problems. They are awkwardly good, inside and out, but its still very early in the season. Nice start though, likes of the Breakers will be playing catchup. Hawks will most likely have to pull the second import trigger if at some point to try get them over the hump ala Matt Garrison.

Reply #556846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's a bit sad really Blanchfield is a glorified role player with Melb they don't need him at all yet the Crocs desperately need someone who can score.

Conklin is an MVP in name only a good import but nothing special, Jett's a SEABL import, Steindl is too inconsistent and Norton and Schenscher are useless offensively.

Reply #556847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see the Hawks as United's only real competition everyone else is a step behind.

Reply #556849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously? The Hawks have no bench. They will be lucky to make the playoffs

Reply #556852 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They will make the playoffs, they have a very very good starting 5. And the option of that import to bring in makes the all the difference. As it is they will struggle to keep Weeks in the team once Martin is back, so yeah they have some depth.

Reply #556856 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think some people are getting a little hyped over Perth's 2-0 start. They've played an undermanned NZ and Adelaide from memory? Both games they looked like how I expected - crash the boards and hope they knock down enough open shots. Majok Majok is going to battle with their bigs pretty well I think.

As long as Melbourne aren't in a shooting funk, I don't see Perth as a serious contender. Until I see them perform against some of the better teams, any way.

Wollongong may not have much of a bench, but when Lisch gets back it won't really matter - they have two of the best scoring guards and a quality post player. Their bench is serviceable.

Reply #556857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They put both the Breakers & Kings to the sword last week despite still missing their starting backcourt one of which is a former league MVP plus they can sign a second import.

Reply #556858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Came to watch warrick play tonight. Safe to say I will not be attending another game this season. Waste of time and money tonight. I pay to see the best players play.

Reply #556859 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Re: Warrick, I understand the game was never in doubt, but considering both the coin AND press being thrown around about his presence in the league, I gotta think there's more to him not playing tonight than just that.

Reply #556860 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

People are getting a little carried away here.

We should wait until United plays a full strength opposition that isn't the Crocs, before we crown them champions....

Reply #556861 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Anon you picked the wrong game then, a blow out was always on the cards and Warrick was likely going to be rested. Dont be a sour puss, suck it up take it on the chin, and go when Wortho is in town cos guaranteed Warrick will be sent out there to show him up!

Reply #556865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think some people are getting a little hyped over Perth's 2-0 start."

Why is no one mentioning that Perth are undermanned as well?

Reply #556867 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Because I dont think many people think adding Damian Martin makes them title contenders, he really needs a jumpshot and Prather really needs to do a bit more. If Jawai get a rhythm up and Knight stays healthy they may cause some trouble.

Reply #556868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I have always seen Perth as being in the same mix for a top 4 spot as a few others.
United the clear standout. Hand the Crocs the wooden spoon already. Adelaide not too flash but let's see what Randle is like before writing them off. Everyone else is in more or less the same mix IMO. Plenty of potential for those teams to click but not the overwhelming talent of Melbourne.
I expect NZ to cement themselves in the top 4 from now on, so I think it is 5 teams fighting for 2 spots. I am assuming Childress is not too far away otherwise Kings could struggle.

Reply #556869 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Hakim Warrick's ongoing bench role became the elephant in the room tonight.

It was a little bit jarring seeing, perhaps, the best player in the stadium sat on the bench for 90 percent of the game - and that was even before the big lead at half time.

As much as I like Majok Majok - and I do - I think that this has to be playing with Hakims confidence something serious. I don't think he has gone from the NBA to come here and be on the bench behind some Australian kid.

Four games into the season. The excuse of not knowing rotations and plays no longer fly's. What exactly is the deal?

Hakim isn't underperforming; he averages 17 points in 24 minutes while shooting at 63% from the field. And yes, United are still winning, but they arguably could win with Kickert or Blanchfield benched also. Just because it 'aint broke' doesn't mean it makes a whole lot of sense. It also doesn't mean there wont be cracks showing in the locker room caused by the coaches decisions.

Hakim should be the teams main selling point, and their first port of call inside the key. I can't help but feel that the coach is just trying to 'humble' an NBA guy.

Reply #556870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why play your best player when you are up by 30? rest him now and get him ready for the latter part of the season and hopefully for playoffs. that's what they brought him in for, not junk time minutes in a blow out game. Pus united have alot of weapons still out there who are pretty good to watch.

Reply #556871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There must be a good reason because not playing one of the drawcard players of the entire league is suicidal behaviour when it comes to pleasing the fans and therefore also the sponsors.

Reply #556872 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

"why play your best player when you are up by 30? rest him now and get him ready for the latter part of the season and hopefully for playoffs. that's what they brought him in for, not junk time minutes in a blow out game. Pus united have alot of weapons still out there who are pretty good to watch.
"

Has every game been a blow out? If not, it doesn't explain games 1-3. He was barely played when the team was gaining the league, too. You say "why play your best player when you are up by 30" but it's funny the same logic didn't apply to Chris Goulding.

Like I said, I think the coach is trying to 'humble' an NBA guy, and I would keep an eye on the situation.

Reply #556873 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

By the time the real stuff starts Warrick will be starting and wont see much bench time at all. Its a shortened season remember so any game time rest you can get early will help. A locked in win against the Crocs is not the game to be judging his court time on. Guys like Hakim Warrick don't lose confidence either.

Reply #556874 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Hope you're right, Kobe.

Reply #556875 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Also he was a last minute inclusion in the scheme of it so still learning plays etc not to mention Majok Majok has been a million times better than I atleast thought he would be, so you have to reward that effort a little bit. United really are in a win win situation at the moment, injuries aside they will be in the title series no doubt.

Reply #556876 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Kickert and Majok had great synergy and were both playing great in the first half. No reason to bench either. Guys like Patto, Hill and to a lesser extent Iggy won't be seeing major minutes (or any at all) when the finals come around, so getting them out there for 15+ minutes tonight infront of their home fans will only increase their confidence and chemistry playing out on the big court.

Might be a brash marketing choice that obviously many fans didn't enjoy - sponsors too probably - but Demopoulos is a smart guy and is thinking big picture. We just have to hope that this doesn't upset Warrick at all and he is aware of why he had only 6 minutes tonight.

Reply #556877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how is playing on average 25 minutes per game barely played? should probably check the states before you say he has barely played. Every coach does it when their team is up by alot. why play all your stars when its also a good opportunity to play your bench guys too when the result is already in the bag? besides Melbourne have to back up in a few days against Perth and they will need to have warrick fit to take on Jawai and knight.

Reply #556878 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They play Cairns next, not Perth.

Reply #556881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stiendl needs to shoot it more
Jett needs to pass it more
Young needs to learn how to finish at the rim
The Crocs need a coach who has confidence in his team

Reply #556883 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Majok Majok has really impressed me. He appears to me to be a better defender and a better rebounder than Warrick, and he also plays with more energy. Whereas Warrick is obviously a much more adept scorer.

There are several advantages of starting Majok, which have worked so far and I see no need for Demopoulos to change anything:

1. Majok's big time energy, hustle and physical presence is most useful at the start of the game, and can more easily wreak havoc at a start when the finess players are still settling in to a rhythm.
2. Warrick will come on and be defended by tired starters or bench players.
3. Warrick will avoid getting into early foul trouble- avoiding the situation that has happened to Khazzough in a couple of recent games.
4. From a team balance perspective it’s great, because the other main guys coming off the bench- Tomlinson and Hadziomerovic- aren’t going to put up big numbers points wise. This means we have one elite scorer coming off the bench, playing through the middle of each quarter.

Reply #556892 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And as for Warrick only playing 6 minutes last night, it's more likely that he's sore.

Demopoulos probably thought it better to rest him instead of sub him back on, considering United were already cruising to a massive win by quarter time.

Reply #556895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad to see how bad Townsville looked last night, they could really use someone like Blanchfield.

Really like Holt's game, even if he does travel a lot.

As for Hawks having no bench. Demos and White will be bench players once Martin and Lisch are back. They did a good job as as starters for 4 games.

Reply #556902 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And don't forget Larry Davidson. You know, the guy who’s been a starter in the NBL for most of the past decade. Oh, and Tim Coenraad, he’s pretty handy too.

(Not a bad bench for Illawarra at all).

Yes United looks great, but unfortunately I suspect the Crocs will be at the wrong end of many 20+ point thrashings this season. United won’t be the only team to do it- most teams probably will, at some point.

Reply #556905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville looked pretty terrible last night - the only positive for them was Steindl. Have been disappointed in Norton, Conklin and Schenscher so far this year however tough for Conklin with no space. Think Jett is okay just is unfit and out of shape so can't play that much but Dennis needs to stop playing the bench so much - have been saying this since he's been in Townsville. Do feel sorry for them with Blanchfield however would be disappointed if they chose Conklin over Blanchfield as is harder to get good Australians compared to imports.

Reply #556918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not ask the coach instead of all the theorists here guessing incorrectly eh?

"Demopoulos believes in the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it" when looking at his starting lineup and he had a short answer when asked if Warrick might start. "No, I haven't thought about changing it," Demopoulos said.

Reply #556927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aiiiiight

Reply #556931 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Worked it out last night he's actually saying alright. But it does sound like Aiiight!!!!!

And as you cant see the shot clock on TV how about Fox showing it, SKY NZ can do it why can't Fox????

Reply #556936 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Thunder Jam, some of the other fox games have got a shot clock on the screen, so I don't know why it is not happening on some other games.

Reply #556942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How was the attendance like for this one? Crowd no.?

Reply #557000 | Report this post

SunsUp  
Years ago

Who does the recruiting for the Crocs?? Is it our Coach or someone else. We haven't had a decent import since Homicide and Larry Abney.

Reply #557078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe that's why they will fold. The fat arsed yank with the dredds... Jeezloise.

Reply #557102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brian Conklin not a decent import?

Reply #557104 | Report this post

SunsUp  
Years ago

He's ok but only gives you 16/17 ppg and 4/5 rebs. But it's not only him that should be performing better. Maybe the coach isn't that good.

Reply #557106 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I kind of appreciate how Dwayne Russell is an enthusiastic commentator and is trying to play his role and pump up the NBL

BUT... he does go a bit over the top at times.

Like commenting about how Townsville is "working their way back into the game" because they just scored a basket and cut the lead to 35.

ha.

Reply #557208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb Utd not disclosing the crowd no. because it was poor?

Reply #557350 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754