Isaac
Years ago

Damian Martin out 6-8 weeks

Wildcats:

Damian Martin will have surgery on broken jaw today in Perth. If successful, he will miss 6-8 weeks.
Wow, that is rough. And sounds like a best-case?

Topic #38386 | Report this topic

Naph  
Years ago

You'd normally expect the jaw to be wired shut for 4-6 weeks. Athletes tend to lose 5-10% of their body weight whilst their jaw is wired shut. Then you're typically looking at 1-2 months after the jaw is unwired before returning to sport. 6-8 weeks sounds pretty optimistic. At the college level this is often a season-ending injury.

http://www.sportsmd.com/concussions-head-injuries/broken-jaw-mandibular-fracture/

Reply #561385 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Good thing the Cats have "New Smile Dental" on board as a corporate sponsor.

Reply #561389 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Yeah I dont think he will be back this season.

Reply #561395 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

No mouthguard....could of saved his teeth and jaw!!!

Reply #561425 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Normally I would say a mouth-guard would have saved some part of the injury Happy Days, I don't know if he was wearing one but the way the elbow struck his mouth in that downward motion it may not have prevented anything in this case.

I stand corrected of course, just the way it looked to have occurred, a mouth-guard usually protects the top teeth and cushions a blow from above somewhat, but a direct hit to the jaw and bottom teeth not so much...

Reply #561436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Looked like he was wearing a mouthguard when I was watching the game. Seemed to remove it and see how much blood and how many teeth were in it!

Reply #561467 | Report this post

WNBL fan  
Years ago

I agree , it seems the elbow was traveling down onto the bottom jaw as martin was pushing forward into the contact, with the elbow not moving horizontally towards the face where the mouthguard would have spread the impact across all the teeth and both the top and bottom jaw.

seems like a real fluke contact with rally bad consequences .

Reply #561659 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754