koberulz
Years ago

Sydney Called Two Timeouts Before The Final Minute

At 8:18 in the third, there's a timeout after Damian Cotter can clearly be seen on TV asking for one.

At 7:52, a timeout was called after an Adelaide score, which by rule could only have been called by Sydney.

Unless Adelaide called the timeout with 5.3 seconds remaining, Sydney were out of timouts.

Topic #38428 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't the rule
2 timeouts in the 1st half
3 timeouts in the second?

Reply #563033 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes.

So if Sydney called the timeout with 5.3 remaining, which everyone seems to agree they did, that was their third and they were out of timeouts exactly when the bench said they were.

Otherwise, that timeout was called by Adelaide and erroneously given to Sydney, and they had a timeout remaining, but nobody seems to argue that. And given it'd happened so recently, it would've been easy to notice.

Additionally, the news articles claiming the Kings are filing a protest are saying Sydney were given a timeout when Adelaide changed their mind about calling one, which is definitely not what happened.

Reply #563035 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

They forgot about that panic button timeout at the start of the half. All his timeouts made sense until the last one which was clearly a WTF moment

Reply #563037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought you were saying that they had an extra timeout. Nevermind you are correct.

Reply #563038 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

For what it's worth, from my observation at the game, according to the [central] score board Sydney had one TO in hand at the start of the final quarter and the 36ERS had three.

Don't know why, but I clearly recall noticing it and thinking Sydney could be struggling if things got tight - as they did, remarkably.

Reply #563040 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought Sydney called three on the night but if they're appealing they must be quite confident they didn't, so I'm interested to see what the appeal finds.

Reply #563042 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The one with 5.3 remaining is the only one they can have any case over.

@POP: That can't be right either, as they only called on TO in the third. Also seemed to point to the scoreboard when arguing, as though that said they had an extra.

Reply #563045 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

I would suggest that they thought they were Team A and not Team B on the scoreboard

Reply #563051 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Home team is always listed first, so I'm not sure why that would be. They'd know the score, too...

Reply #563053 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

The scoreboard was a little weird,Adelaide was team A but on the scorers table scoreboard it was listed as the second team which could be confusing

Reply #563056 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

All that might be true, but for them to go away, review it and then lodge a complaint suggests there might be something to it. Like I said, I thought they had three, but I'll wait and see what comes up.

Reply #563059 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Replay is on fox tomorrow afternoon around 2pm, on fox sport 1, ill be taping it to watch at night as it was an amazing game.

Reply #563068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings got marked for one of Adelaides time outs. Oops

Reply #563071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only one they could've got wrong was the last one, the other 2 are accounted for

Reply #563088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if they had 2 timeouts left, you wouldn't waste one like that.

Reply #563094 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why not? Lets you set something up in case of a miss on the second, and you're not going to have another opportunity to use it anyway.

Reply #563095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

094, how wrong you are.

Reply #563098 | Report this post

Three To Make Two  
Years ago

"The scoreboard was a little weird,Adelaide was team A but on the scorers table scoreboard it was listed as the second team which could be confusing "

Was this a light vs dark thing on the scoreboard? I know in junior basketball, many parents doing the scorebench are confused/bemused by the Team A/Team B thing and how it relates to the scoresheet and where each team sits. They prefer to go with singlet colour as the determinant.

So that means if the scoreboard shows Team A is light and Team B is dark, that's how they will do it, regardless of who Team A/B are on the scoresheet.

Reply #563116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So which 2 were stood down? It's not even on the NBL website.

Reply #563138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was there a new rule brought in that you can only call 2 timeouts in the last 2 mins, so even if you have 3 left, you can only call 2?

Reply #563151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After thinking about the strategy of the timeouts, I can see a reason he would call one before the freethrow - if they miss the 2nd one then he would have some kind of play drawn up for a 2 or a 3. If they make the 2nd then he uses his last timeout to advance it and draw up a 3pt shot.

Reply #563153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only people thought about things more before they posted....

Reply #563154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the 2014 rule changes have that you can only have 2 time outs in the last two minutes you forfeit the first time out if you haven't taken it before the 2:00 minute mark.

Sydney had their first time out of the half (they are allowed 3 in 2nd half) in the third quarter.

they then had their other two late in the fourth.
Confused in some way or other, they were, perhaps with the scoreboard, cube showing things it shouldn't that thing has gremlins in it.

Reply #563158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I might be wrong here and please correct me if I am but were one or more members of the Adelaide score bench relieved of their duties in the past couple of weeks for other mistakes that were made?? I wonder if there are some issues with the score bench coupled with the scoreboard that seems to be confusing might have led to this issue

Reply #563162 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754