Isaac
Years ago

United vs Crocodiles, Nov 20

Nick Kay and Mitch Young have a chance to test themselves tonight. If it's anything but a beatdown, then Townsville will have done OK. Too many weapons in Melbourne.

Your tip and guess at the margin?

Topic #38508 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville would lose by less if they just forfeited.

Reply #565590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville have been better with Nick Kay then Conk although not sure if he play that hard for extended minutes.

Townsville look to be in strife if any of their bigs get into foul trouble.

Reply #565591 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

United by 30....hard held.

Hopefully CG43 shoots the lights out for the fans :)

Reply #565598 | Report this post

Jethroooo  
Years ago

This is what frustrates me with the Crocs, trying to save money i can basically guarantee they do not replace Conklin with a DP player to atleast make up the numbers, already carrying one in Froling which is shocking.

If they only travel with 9 and the bigs get in early foul trouble they will not be able to play great D and well the United score could be anything

Reply #565599 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Hopefully Flopper43 can keep upright for 40mins

Reply #565603 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

this isn't going to be pretty !

Reply #565606 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Every chance they play the bench after halftime,so tricky to pick a number. Let's go United by 45, just the 2 flops from the boy wonder. Maybe 3 back pat's and cuddles by ref's to boy wonder. Kickert to shoot 6 three's. Dennis to drop 4 "F" bombs during the timeouts and Fox to show Conk's blow to Creek 5 times.

Reply #565655 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Only chance the Crocs have of a semi respectable loss is if they game gets very scrappy. But at home on a Friday night coming off a loss and the Crocs just having no scorers its got to be 20ish.

Reply #565657 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Some nice insight into the job at hand from Shawn Dennis here:

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/r7-preview-melbourne-v-townsville/

Reply #565672 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Townsville had little chance with Conklin - they have NO chance without him.
If I was Townsville I'd start Henry at the 4 to keep Young and/or Kay from getting in early foul trouble.

Reply #565677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have the silliest of feelings Tville could get this

Reply #565702 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Melbourne down 6 yet the coach leaves the starters in the whole quarter. Interesting tactic.

Reply #565704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Homocide

United are not better than NZ or Perf

Reply #565706 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Norton with the blocking foul for head butting pattons elbow, nice!

Reply #565709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Melbourne's offense is trash

Reply #565710 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

United have definitely been better than NZ and Perth, but wow the Crocs are playing some great basketball. So happy to see them compete and some! Imagine if they had a spare $150k for even one more star. None of this make 'King Conk' look all that flash either imo.

Reply #565712 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Crocs playing with real desire in this one, melbourne seem like they just expect to rain threes and blow them away without running any kind of offence.

Reply #565713 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah I dunno, Conklin isn't a big out for me. No one on this team is. He can't defend or rebound and stops the ball. The young guys move it better and rebound better. An undersized scoring power forward who can't shoot from deep isn't exactly who you want to be basing your attack around anyway.

And look how they're playing tonight.

I've said it a million times but Todd Blanchfield should have been paid his old contract salary PLUS Conklin's if that's what he wanted. I would have had no problem whatsoever paying him 300k a year.

Reply #565714 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Games like this make you question the mentality of both teams

Reply #565715 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Agreed Mick about if Blanchfield and Conklin are on the same $$$ I'd be disappointed in Townsville for choosing Conklin.

Townsville are showing that if you play with heart and effort anybody can beat anybody in this league love how they play for each other. Hope they can keep this up in the second half.

Reply #565716 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Crocs that's right Crocs 47-31 at 1/2 time. United 7 2 pointers in a half. We are kidding. Basketball in this country is a joke. Junior teams play better offence than these clowns. Goes to show you that United have taken the Crocs too easy tonight. I'd Crocs win & win by double figures surely the coach goes & a couple of players get pulled from the next few matches. As a United fan it's simply unacceptable that United can put in this sort of performance.
I know what the Crocs to win & want to see the fallout against both players & United coach.

Reply #565717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree re paying Blanchfield to stay,

Could have always signed a min salary import ala Montreal

Reply #565718 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Hahahaha obligatory instagram question.

Seriously, as a Crocs fan the first half makes me annoyed more than anything else

Reply #565719 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Easy to say you dont think Conklin is a big out when they have a double digit lead at the half though!

Reply #565720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb isoball

Crocs teamball

Reply #565721 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

FWIW, TVL were paying $41 to win by more than 10 at the TAB!!

Reply #565722 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Melb was sloppy and complacent early. Now getting frustrated. Would want to get back on the same page quickly.

Reply #565723 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

This is an incredible effort from the Crocs tonight. I have a feeling United will make a comeback in the last quarter.

Reply #565724 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Crocs aren't as bad as they are made out to be. They just have no one who I would say is even in the conversation for top 15 players in the league. They're like the Boston Celtics, sorta, a team full of 7th men, but our guys 7-10 are generally better than most other teams'. I would almost go so far as to say our bench is better than our starting five.

Their problem is they have a really unbalanced roster, too many duplication of skillsets, a coach who isn't great and no one who can score efficiently off the bounce, so their only choice is to play pure team ball if they want to win.

Reply #565727 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Oh boy. 3 point game. I saw this coming. Hold on Crocs.

Reply #565728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick,

Re your pay Blanchfield $300k,

Would you have kept Conklin and added Jett after he left, or just given a stud import sf with an exciting all round game the combined say $300k instead??

Reply #565729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding has Lowry disease

Need a three go for 2

Reply #565730 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

That is not a foul on Goulding

Reply #565731 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Karma there for C3P0, or whatever they're calling him these days....

Reply #565732 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Refs trying to save United again?

Would have been massive controversy of that layup went and Goulding had the FT to tie. Looked like hardly any contact.

Reply #565733 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Steindl the iceman

Reply #565734 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

WOW !!! Crocs are giant killers this year

Reply #565735 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Amazing win for the Crocs. Heavily undermanned in the front court and go to Melbourne and win.

Lots of heart in the team and the fans need to start appreciating it.

Reply #565736 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Crocs going to win it. Sack United coach & all players. Pathetic effort against a pretty poor team. Shows you that basketball in this country is rubbish. Explain how a team, United a $1.04 in betting to win the game pre match with a -15.5 handicap & lose with no players of any note in their team? It's not about heart or effort. It's that basketball here is rubbish. Better watching my kids under 16 game last night. The effort, skill & ability to work for their coach & their team mates was much better.

Reply #565737 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

Great win for the Crocs. Fans should appreciate this team more.

Reply #565738 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Absolutely amazing. Credit to the Crocs. Played superbly..pure heart.

Reply #565739 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Unless the refs are cheating for United, they have nothing

Reply #565740 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

Awesome effort by the Crocs. Thoroughly deserved!

Reply #565741 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Match fixing alleged by a mate of mine in Melbourne. Apparently a huge plunge on Crocs to win this game outright at ridiculous prices. Will we hear more about it over the weekend? Doubtful!

Reply #565742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Queensland > Melbourne

Reply #565743 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The effort, skill & ability to work for their coach & their team mates was much better.

Ummmmm, yeah there was a team out there that did all that, and more. Not sure how that equates to basketball in this country being rubbish - a massive underdog just did what most thought unthinkable, that's pretty much what sport's all about I would have thought.

Reply #565744 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

Looks like the Crocs replicated their efforts in the Perth wins.

Reply #565745 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

So the Cats and Breakers both lose at United and its a conspiracy potentially, then the worst team in the league minus a major cog come in and blow past them. You gotta love sport!!! Feel really happy for those Crocs boys they must be working their asses off to stay that competitive with that minimal amount of pure talent. Forcing is going to be a player too, that 3 before the half was nice.

Reply #565746 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@George...

"Shows you that basketball in this country is rubbish. Explain how a team"

How is this an indication that basketball is rubbish in Australia?

Isn't it the opposite? Its great that night in night out anyone can beat anyone if they are on their game and the opposition takes it easy.

Reply #565747 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Sooooo George guess you lost the house huh Throwing those 'gimme' anchors into a multi will get you every time. Be angry at yourself, not the NBL...

Reply #565749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't catch the whole game but how many times did Norton blow by Holt?

It seems as though one of United's weaknesses is the lack of a guard with elite quickness to defend opposing PGs and also consistently penetrate on offence.

Reply #565750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey George. Welcome to www.hoops.com.au

You're in a safe place. Please feel free to share your thoughts with the group, we won't judge you.

Reply #565751 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

As others have said this is the great thing about sports. Any team can win on any night.

Well done Townsville for getting the win.

Reply #565757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great league this year.

Wish I got a piece of the $6 on TVille doe

Reply #565762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huuugee upset!

Reply #565763 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re the Townsville chose Conklin over Blanchfield comments that consistently pop up. That's something a regular poster here appears to have made up and contains no truth whatsoever.

And the game?! Wow, what a great performance by Townsville, executed their game plan to near perfection. Mitch Norton was just superb in his 100th game, and Shawn Dennis continues to grow this young group, he's done an outstanding job so far this season.

Reply #565766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demopoulos said in the press conference after the game Warrick is probably going to return on Sunday.

Reply #565768 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Gotta give the Townsville boys credit. Kay, Norton and Steindl played some incredible ball. Love to watch this team grind away from home.

Reply #565770 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I hope the Crocs fans really get behind this team and fill their stadium.

Although I don't support Illawarra (Wollongong) I have always admired their ability to make the most of what they have.

With the Crocs beating the Wildcats twice, once at home and now United at home....that admiration extends to the Crocs organisation. This is a great endorsement for the NBL that every night you have to fight to win, regardless of who the opposition is.

I would really hate to see Brissie come in just for the Crocs to die off, this team has guts, thats to be respects (feared).

Reply #565771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really impressed with Townsville's young Aussie contingent. Such poise all game away from home (apart from the last 3 minutes).

Kay, Norton, Maynard et al. They all seem to have a high BBIQ. And Steindl of course is a gunner.

If Blanch had have stayed they could have done something.

Reply #565775 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

No excuses for the people of Townsville now. If they care about this club they will start to turn up to their home games. The team deserves better.

They are no longer an easy beat. A young, very competitive team that plays with a lot of heart and are now giant killers.

If the support doesn't improve, then Townsville don't deserve a team.

Reply #565776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville dies and Brisbane lives

This will happen

Reply #565780 | Report this post

Ruzz  
Years ago

What a game!! A few patented flops by "Flop 43" took away some of the gloss. Goulding is so good that He shouldn't have to take some of the silly flops. If it wasn't for the flops I'd love the heck out of Him, as it is I can't stand to watch Him!!

Reply #565794 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Didn't see the game but hats off to the Crocs. Incredible effort to turn the tables against a team who smashed them twice and on the road minus two big men.

Reply #565805 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis was asked how it felt in the presser and replied, "It feels a lot better than the last time we were here!"

Reply #565815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Match fixing alleged by a mate of mine in Melbourne. Apparently a huge plunge on Crocs to win this game outright at ridiculous prices. Will we hear more about it over the weekend? Doubtful!"

Gold Jerry! Do share the name of your 'mate' so that it can be thoroughly investigated. I'm sure he was on to something!

Reply #565883 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754