Isaac
Years ago

Kobe's farewell tour

What on earth is he doing this season? The Lakers have just handed the 76ers their first win of the season on the back of Kobe's 7/26 FG and 4/17 3P. Threes early in the shot clock, from way outside the arc, etc. Getting trapped and pump faking before launching a prayer, oblivious to other options.

Are the Lakers sacrificing a season and any player development for the sake of Kobe trying to scrounge together 20 PPG regardless of percentages, the spectacle or anything else? To what end? Fans witnessing more FGA and little else?

Last five games:

7/26 FG
4/20 FG
7/20 FG
1/14 FG
6/22 FG

The organisation shouldn't stand for it, the coach shouldn't stand for it, and the player should be too proud to finish their career like that.

Is it chronic delusion?

His shot and athleticism seem to have evaporated, so why not adjust his game to drawing defenders or racking up assists? Mentor the younger players and ensure they're getting loads of chances to test themselves each time down the floor.

Topic #38587 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Watch out Isaac, Kent Brockman will have a go at you for pointing out something like that.

Reply #567913 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not sure what you're referencing, but that might relate to the concept of tarnishing a legacy - something I've made no argument about here. Just saying that this is ugly basketball now and not in the interests of a club, teammates, the player's reputation* or fans.

* As distinct from a player's ego/id. I suspect that without a coach/club willing to rein him in, we're witnessing a Venn subset of Kobe's id and current ability.

I always think about Barkley's comment about fading players and their pump fakes:

"Somebody asked me how I knew it was time to retire," Charles Barkley said in a phone interview. “I said because I was pump-faking. So now I see Kobe and he's pump-faking because he’s scared they are going to block his shot. That’s what the pump-faking is. People are knocking your shot into the stands.

“Kobe can’t get open shots. He can’t go around people to get layups. It’s hard to make contested shots.”

Reply #567915 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

The Lakers want Ben Simmons so why not let Kobe give them the worst record & best chance? The 76ers want him too! This reeks of tanking without tanking. Smart if they land Simmo...

Reply #567918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe's true colours are being shown. It was always about him and still is. The guy was always a cancer of the highest order, a coach killer and a horrible teammate. No wonder no decent free agents won't consider signing with them until he's gone.

I'll never forget the 2004 Finals series when he decided to freeze out Shaq and try and win a Finals MVP of his own. He killed the Lakers that series shot them right out of it just kept chucking. The Pistons didn't even bother double teaming Shaq just put the much smaller Ben Wallace on him because they knew he wasn't going to get the ball anyway. Immediately after that series he got Shaq traded, Phil quit, Payton released and accused Malone of hitting on his wife and thus pushed him into retiring when he wanted to play on.

It was sad to see one player bring down his whole team like that on the sports biggest stage but no surprise Kobe was known for sometimes 'tanking' during his high-school games so he could try and hit game winners against over matched opposition.

It's not sad to see what he's doing to the Lakers now because they've always been his enablers. They played a large part in helping to create this monster so deserve every bit of it.

Reply #567920 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It's a shame that he is allowed to absolve himself of blame because he can hide behind the "Kobe veil" based on what he has done previously.

I'm relatively young but i'm old-school in my approach. Team comes before anything.

What Kobe is doing is utterly ridiculous, selfish and arrogant.

I have grown up watching the likes of Richie McCaw - anyone that knows this legend of a man knows that he always put the team first. Same with any of the All Blacks.

"Leave the jersey in a better place" - meaning if you're playing beyond your years and not helping the team's performance you're not leaving the jersey in a better place.

Reply #567923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is also fitting is that the 76ers have now avoided making NBA history in their own right, if they lost the 0-19 start to the season would've been the worst of all-time. They share the 0-18 record now with another team.

Kobe's last game in his hometown will certainly be remembered.

Reply #567925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe staying on is good business. Every Lakers games is going sell out to watch him play his last games, even if he is stinking it up. Im not even much of s fan of Kobe but I am half thinking about seeing him play. Also good business as it will setup the lakers with a better pick at the end of the season.

Reply #567933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DEAR BASKETBALL (HATERS)
by Kobe Bryant

Dear Basketball,
Cover your leather ears,
Because you shouldn't hear
The words I’m about to shower
Upon all my doubters.

Who are my haters, you ask, sweet ball?
Well, some are midgets, others, too tall.
Some are less rich than me,
and most are real poor -
My haters are every single human being alive,
Not a few, but all.

Not just people, either,
but animals, dogs, and ghosts;
Nothing existing ever thought
I’d make threes on both coasts
Or hit a buzz shot.

To those who have booed me,
Both ball fans and ghouls,
My skills left you speechless,
My sweet plays made you fools.

To MJ, yes, you Michael,
You’ve always made me laugh.
With your tiny 'stache, little ring,
And store for art crafts.

To Magic and Kareem,
I’m the best Laker of all time.
And though I’ve been accused,
I was found innocent of sex crimes.

To LeBron James,
I’m sorry we never met.
Even if we did at some point,
You’re easy to forget.

To the scientists who failed me,
Tried to fix my bod but could not -
We shan’t speak again,
Until you can upload my mind
Into a b-ball robot.

To the dog on my street,
Who barks at my car -
Where’s your shoe deal,
And were you an All Star?

To the sharks in the ocean,
Hunting those fish -
You’ll never know the sound
of a basketball swish.

To those who think I suck now
Yes, that may be true,
But I’m a living piece of art,
So even my failure is cool.

And even though the Devil
May reclaim my soul soon,
Nothing’s gonna stop me
From shooting bricks at the moon.

Because there’s only one "Kobe Stopper,"
His name’s Father Time,
And he has my respect.
But if he ever talks shit,
A harsh poem from me,
he can surely expect.

Reply #567936 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Anon #920 completely on the ball.

Why would Kobe care about the development of the younger guys? In his mind the Lakers are done once he finishes.

Reply #567937 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Here's a good question - who's the best of their generation -Kobe or Duncan?

I'm going with Duncan. His constant unselfishness, professionalism and the way he has gone about his business is my definiton of the ultimate sportsman.

Always changed his game to give his team the nest chance of success.

Reply #567945 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

He's been like this his whole career , funny how many people are just noticing now lol.

Reply #567947 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, if the Lakers weren't insane, they could tank for Simmons, provide Kobe with his farewell tour and develop their current/future players. Spread the shots around. Kobe defers to teammates now and then. Why tank for Simmons if by the time he gets there, your kids are still a little rawer than they might otherwise be?

Anon, the games are going to sell whether he goes 15/5/7 or 20/5/2 (and miss a lot more shots).

Reply #567949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duncan is pretty clearly above Kobe. Duncan is in the 6-10 range while Kobe is in the 10-15 range.

Reply #567950 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Isaac i agree but Kobe got a bit carried away today in Philly. He'll be pulled up on his shot selection & have to include more 'team' stuff going forward. He has a green light by coach Scott & the crowds still chanted his name after he stunk it up! Send Kobe off well & get simmons - DO It SMART THOUGH!!

Reply #567998 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Haha XY.

I must confess, I am a Kobe lover. Half of my love is fuelled by the hatred some mates have for Kobe and the Lakers
I saw the first minute today at work and thought finally a big game.

Then I checked the box score after the game.

Im not delusional, if Kobe jacks this crap all year it will effect his legacy. But as someone pointed out before, the revenue raised by kobes farewell tour will be massive.

$100,000,000 +. Philly looked like a sellout today. Every road game will sellout now against LA.

In closing though, on stats and accolades Kobe Bean Bryant is a top 10 player ahead of Duncan. You don't get top 10 status because you're nice and wholesome. Michael Jordan was an asshole to his teammates. mobile phones,Twitter, Facebook etc weren't around then.

Reply #568036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duncan is higher than Kobe for a hell of a lot more reasons than "he's a nice guy" lol

Reply #568041 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Name them anon.

Please.

Reply #568048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name reasons Kobe is above him?

Other than he's scored more.

Reply #568099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll just leave this here

http://www.landofbasketball.com/player_comparison/b/kobe_bryant_vs_tim_duncan.htm

It does leave out one important stat:

Rapes
Duncan 0
Kobe 1

Reply #568101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Career stats (Duncan - Bryant)

PER: 24.4 - 23.1
Win shares: 203.2 - 172.3
Win shares/48: .211 - .175
Box plus/minus: 5.5 - 4.0
VORP: 87.7 - 71.8

So the advanced stats clearly favour Duncan.

Accolades (Duncan - Bryant)

Championships: 5 -5
Finals MVPs: 3 - 2
MVPs: 2 - 1
All-NBA teams: 15 - 15
All-Defensive teams: 15 - 12

Once again Duncan is ahead. Seems like Duncan has a fair argument over Kobe.

Reply #568120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duncan all day everyday for a whole bunch of reasons

Better player, better team mate, still able to play a good role on a really good team, etc, etc

Reply #568124 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

LOL people still think Kobe is a better player all time than the great Tim Duncan?? It wasn't true in 2010 and sure as hell isn't true in 2015. So disrespectful and clueless

Reply #568139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha at the coach shouldn't allow it. The only thing he has brought to the table since he's been there is talking tough and kissing Kobe's ass!

Kobe is always must see tv because of the belief he has in himself over his teammates.

Reply #568140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who uses the word LOL in a basketball forum.

Reply #568141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homosexual partners
Duncan 1
Kobe 0

Reply #568163 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Duncan, all day every day.

Reply #568244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe is back

Reply #568293 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

+1

Reply #568307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a season long circle jerk

Reply #568356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the kobe haters now? dropped 31 including several clutch points in a win over a playoff calibre ball club. You'll find Kobe slow start is a matter of him getting his rhythm back after a lot of time injured over the past few years but make no mistake he still has the ability to lead this club to wins, as he showed today. All this talk of delusion and what on earth is he doing is extremely silly.

Reply #568404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vintage Kobe alright. 10 of 24

Also can someone explain how on earth 12th spot in the East is considered "playoff caliber"?

Reply #568445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe -6. Meanwhile, 39 year old Timmy D goes for an average 16 and 10 (7-11) and +11 in 19 minutes.

Reply #568453 | Report this post

+ - is for nerds  
Years ago

Timmy is a retard on a stacked team which has players in every position who can score. with LA, opposing teams know Kobe is the only one to stop. When I play social, we leave the spud players open ( timmy ) and double team the guns ( kobe )

Reply #568595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats on your illustrious social career you spud

Reply #568777 | Report this post

Anonymouse  
Years ago

Who said Duncan is gay. He's doin' Vanessa whoever.

Reply #568780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12th is a temporary position. This wizards team has made it into the playoffs and won a round the last two years. They also beat Cleveland this week. So how you love that

Reply #568794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A temporary position based on 20-ish games. Playoff caliber means nothing. Milwaukee were a playoff team that got annihilated vs the cavs 4-0. After maybe the top 4 in the east it's just best of the rest making up numbers

Reply #568930 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Zach Lowe recently said Kobe was the most damaging player in the NBA as in moat damaging to his own team. His performances this year are a
Middle finger to his teammates and to the game.

Reply #568961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you sure he didn't say most damaged

Reply #569025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe is not back.

Reply #569032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duncan was a top 5 player in the league for what 4-5 seasons of his career. Kobe was for 13 odd seasons. Kobe is by far the greater player, Duncan would also be horrible if he was coming off 3 end of season major injuries and playing with zero talent. Horrible comparisons above

Reply #569188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For points scored he's greater.

And being a shitcunt teammate and rapist, he wins at that too.

Everything else is coming up Duncan

Reply #569212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

His arsenal is becoming more and more limited, forcing him into questionable things like this:

Reply #569237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#569212 I guess every coach, player in the league today and recently retired all must be wrong who have collectively said Kobe is best player of his and this generation. greater than Duncan and LeBron, even Lebron's team mates have said this (Wade,Bosh and others). But yeah all the greats of the game and coaches are wrong, and a troll on a message board of course bringing up a phony rape case is right.

Reply #569425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Duncan would probably honestly say Brian Scalabrine was better than he was he's that humble. If you want someone who scores the ball like no one else (well scored anyway up until 3 seasons ago) you'd go Kobe, but the evidence is clear Duncan is the better player.

Also not sure how a rape case is phony when Kobe admitted that the woman didn't consent lol

Reply #569430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

evidence isn't clear. Why do all coaches and players who have played and be around the NBA agree Kobe is the best? They are better than any pointless advance stat.

Got a link to kobe saying that. Never happened

Reply #569433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like admitting it to me. Woman was money hungry. Do we call Derrick Rose a rapist then? Hypocrite.

Later, in an emotional appearance before reporters at Staples Center in Los Angeles, where he helped lead the Lakers to three consecutive NBA championships, a tearful Bryant for the first time acknowledged having sex with the woman but insisted it was consensual.

"I'm innocent," he said.

Sitting next to his wife of two years, Vanessa, he shook his head, shifted uncomfortably in his seat and pursed his lips as he said: "I sit here before you guys embarrassed and ashamed for committing adultery. You know, you go through the feeling of, 'If I could just turn back the hands of time.' ... But I'm innocent. And together, my wife and I and our family are going to fight these false accusations."

Reply #569437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone hasn't read his statement when he settled aka didn't go to court and prove his innocence.

Reply #569442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyway 4-19 (2-10 3s) yesterday. He's back baby!

Reply #569443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheekily made the Lakers 15 points worse off when he was on the floor while he was at it. best player of his generation

Reply #569444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Judge a career by one game at age 37 coming off 3 end of season injuries. People like you are hated. Continue to have no relevance in what you say

Reply #569448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh man Isaac outlines how shit he's been this year. What will the lakers do without his 16 points on 30% shooting while hitting 1 of 5 threes? Apart from rocket up the ladder seeing as they'll actually pull some decent free agents at the end of the season

Reply #569449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7/26 FG
4/20 FG
7/20 FG
1/14 FG
6/22 FG

This was 5 games in a row

Now there's also a 10-24 and a 4-19.

What a superstar. I would definitely have him in the top 50 players this year

Reply #569452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same person clearly. no two people could be this dumb. enjoy shooting 0/0 and achieving nothing with your life. Kobe's better than your favourite player, it hurts, it shows

Reply #569455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe is barely better than ere this year lol

I didn't realise you were also in the NBA. Oh wait.

Hold all of these Ls. Should be used to it following the lakers

Reply #569457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I'm not in the NBA. Difference is I'm respecting the greats of our game not talking blindless sh*t about them. The era's best, just appreciate them before they're gone.

Yeah it's sucked going for the Lakers for 20 years and watching them win 5 championships and compete in 7 Finals. Just a really unfortunate choice in teams I made. Idiot

Reply #569459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing you're about 28 and picked them because they won a lot? Well done champ

Reply #569461 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Kobe continues to leave it all out there on the floor.

2-15 and (1-6) with 1 assist and 3 turnovers for -22 in a 20 point loss.

Got to admire his persistence when most others would have given up.

Reply #569549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had gastro shouldn't have played. Typical box score fan

Reply #569564 | Report this post

marKus Kamby  
Years ago

XY just a Kobe hater.
No one cares idiot

Reply #569566 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You are right about one thing. Shouldn't have played.

Reply #569570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Instead of responding with "Kobe hater", can someone from that side make an argument for how this does anything positive for anyone but Kobe's PPG (ignoring FG%)?

As I said further up, sure it helps them tank, but the ultimate goal of tanking is improving the future of the team, and taking more shots doesn't help your younger players. Doing it without a response from the coach also sets a bad example.

Reply #569574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be on the coach to make changes Isaac. Byron has noted multiple times he is happy with how Kobe is playing, just the shots aren't falling. Lakers are trying to lose, he is getting a send off in each city, nothing seen since Jordan. It's a nothing season, I think you're reading too much into the growth of the Lakers. Losing is the best way forward, chances are they'll start to land FA after this season and be back as a .500 team soon.

Reply #569578 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Their coach is hapless.

I think they're showing that they have their priorities quite wrong. And it's indulgent for Kobe to persist.

Reply #569585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Judge a career by one game at age 37 coming off 3 end of season injuries. People like you are hated. Continue to have no relevance in what you say"

Tim Duncan is 39 and still killing it. Probably because he's not an idiot and doesn't push himself to play a stupid amount of minutes and actually trusts the team around him.

Reply #569629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe talks so much shit about expecting the best out of people.

Then allows himself to shoot under 30% and be completely useless this year.

True superstar

Reply #569633 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754