Anonymous
Years ago

Most participated team sports in Australia?

I heard from someone who I think knows what they are talking about and he said that basketball is the 2nd most participated team sport in Australia behind soccer.

This doesn't sound right to me (but I could be wrong).

I would have thought AFL would be 1st or 2nd?

Anyone know the facts?

IF basketball really is 2nd, how far would it be behind soccer?

Thanks.

Topic #38750 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Aussie Rules isn't that high, particularly outside Vic. A Ray Morgan survey this year into "regular participation" had:

Soccer 1.8m
Basketball 1.1m
Cricket 960K
Netball 850K
Aussie rules 620K
Rugby league 340K

I'm told the total participation rate for hoops, including casuals, is close to 2mill.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/6123-australian-sports-participation-rates-among-children-and-adults-december-2014-201503182151

Reply #572272 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Extracted from the table at The Top 20 sports played by Aussies young and old, by Roy Morgan Market research:

#1 Soccer
#2 Basketball
#3 Cricket
#4 Netball
#5 Australian Rules*
#6 Rugby League*
#7 Volleyball
#8 Softball
#9 Field Hockey

(* Note that the two football codes' numbers are artificially reduced due to the geographic split in their areas of dominance, while other team sports are national. However, even if combined, AFL and NRL would only rank #3)

Reply #572274 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Ninja'ed!

Reply #572275 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

A gender split wou;ld also have been interesting. I assume the full (paid) research data would also show the Mix of sports for each year , some kids play 4+ sports, and there is the question of the perameters, can a kid answer yes to basketball if they just play a 3 week internal school "competition" ?

Reply #572276 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, I call bollocks.
I've looked at those "surveys," very subjective and very limited data.

According to that table, the top two "sports" are actually swimming and cycling, but that seems to be based on people who go to the beach, and those who own a bike.

Reply #572285 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Soccer is accessible to anyone and everyone. Girls, guys, pretty much no equipment etc. Even in a country that soccer is relatively unpopular, it still makes sense that participation is top for it. You only need a ball, a grassed area and some goals, with or without a net.
Basketball is very accessible too. In juniors, there's plenty of female and male leagues, not much equipment is necessary. Limiting factor being team sizes (usually 6-8 players) and courts available, which require a dedicated building.
AFL is a very physical sport, so requires a certain kind of person to play. It's also overwhelmingly a male sport. Injuries are quite common too.
Netball is overwhelmingly a female sport. Guys pretty much don't play it at all in juniors competitively.
Tennis is very accessible to everyone, but isn't a team sport, only up to 4 people can play at a time. So numbers are limited.
Cricket is a relatively expensive sport to play and requires a lot of equipment. Pads, bats, balls, bags, gloves, helmets etc. I'm actually extremely surprised that it is 3rd. I thought it would be below AFL, Netball and Tennis.
Rugby is extremely physical. And only played in the Eastern states for the most part.

It makes perfect sense to me that Basketball is second.

Reply #572294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think the figures quoted are very subjective for all sports.

Like anything statistical, you can make stats say a lot of different things, depends on the criteria, perspective, motives & objectives.

Soccer - has about 1 million registered players, with about another million coming from unorganised soccer.
from http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-is-closing-in-as-australias-most-popular-sport-20131111-2xcg0.html

AFL Total participation of 1,017,835

from http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Annual%20Report/2014-AFL-Annual-Report.pdf

Cricket 1,208,360
from http://www.cricket.com.au/news/james-sutherland-cricket-australia-census-results-female-participation-9-percent-cultural-diversity/2015-08-04

Basketball more than 1,100,000
http://www.basketball.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/BasketballAustralia_AnnualReport1516.pdf

Rugby 615,809 people participated in Rugby nationally in 2013, from http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/news/category/community-sport/australian-rugby-participation-at-an-all-time-high/

Reply #572297 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sure governing bodies are the best source of reliable information given inflated figures can mean increased funding. The Aussie rules figure (AFL only has around 750 participants) doesn't really align with the other figures out there for that sport.

Reply #572306 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If you're talking about ORGANISED participation, in organised comps or junior programs like Auskick, etc, then in WA for boys it would be AFL by a country mile. And Netball for Girls.
Basketball and soccer creep up because they have greater rates of female participation than AFL & Rugby, and because they are ubiquitous.

But then if you base it on how many people have facilities in their driveway, Basketball would be a clear leader.

Reply #572309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add up all of the domestic comps in Victoria and you would come up with a huge number. The biggest associations have 30k members approx at a guess.

Some quick maths would get you to half a million in Victoria alone playing basketball.

The fact that it has both sexes participating in huge numbers makes it an obvious chance to be the biggest sport.

If the "aussie" sports were not artificially funded by governments (AFL, League, cricket, netball) or more appropriately basketball was equitably funded it would be dominant in Australia. Although the way the sport is administered need to be turned upside down to do that.

Reply #572313 | Report this post

finals995  
Years ago

Football and basketball as 1 and 2, is that a trend that plays out world-wide?

There must be some exceptions, like field hockey and cricket in India for example. Or is it only those other team sports participation rates where you see wide variations based on 'national' preferences?

Reply #572315 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

You've got to figure parental influences as well. Many parents don't want their kid playing Afl or a Rugby code because of the physicality. And before anyone goes on about the nanny state etc... this sort of thing happened way back in the 70s and before.

Reply #572316 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Walking is number one, but couch sitting is gaining ground I hear...

:)

Reply #572392 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Playing with a mobile device is racing up the charts too.

Reply #572394 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Soccer is number one around the club, becuase it was the earliest form of football, spread through Europe and then their Colonies. It's the number one sport in many countries. Its also conceptually easy to play, and easy to have a pick-up game. All you need is a ball, some space, and a basic ability to kick.

Basketball continues to gain popularity due to lack of space. In many large cities, and in the densely populated countries, people have no yards, limited access to parks, and even schools are often hi-rises. A hoop can be slung up just about anywhere, and even a full court is a relatively small footprint. Plus you can set up a court in multipurpose hall, that is used for assemblies, gymnastics, dancing, tennis, etc, etc. Plus the relative speed of a game makes it easier to schedule multiple games when running a league.

In Australia we mostly all grew up with yards, large parks are ubiquitous, and schools have massive ovals and outdoor areas. Hence for us, basketball is a choice from a wide range of options.

Reply #572400 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I would be amazed if basketball isn't the number 1 participation in the country. Its played all year round in most places where indoor facilities are available. Most football codes are only played for 5 - 6 months and are certainly male dominated.
Most schools now have indoor basketball courts so more kids are playing in school time ( all year round) where as "traditional" aussie schools might do ( on a significant scale) a Footy code in winter and cricket in summer.
Basketball comps are run most nights of the week for social players of all ages, where as most football codes play only on w/ends and there social grades probably don't cover the range of ages as basketball does.

Reply #572454 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754