Anonymous
Years ago

Who do you want to Win ? If your team not in final

Interesting to see what everyones take is on who they want to win if their team is not in the top 4 and why..

I'll start.

NZ - Vickerman deserves the win after an unsettled season he has kept his cool and plugged away and got his team back in track. He has also shown great integeity and cleaned up his team.

Topic #38984 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Anyone but Perth?

Reply #577794 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If my team was not in the finals, then anyone but Perth.

But my team is in the finals, so ...
my second preference is the Hawks.

Reply #577795 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Can't wait to see the anyone but perth tag come up here. Jealous fans are ugly fans.

Reply #577796 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

#AnyoneButPerth

But I'd like to see the Breakers take it. As soon as Webster came back I said they'd be champs, and I'll stick to my guns.

Reply #577798 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

The Wildcats are Red
Sixers are Blue
The Breakers are back
But its Hawks for championship #2

Reply #577801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcat if Perth was winning year in year out on a budget like some of the clubs then they would get much respect. if Perth was drawing crowds in a smaller population in a stadium out of the city then much respect. If Perth was winning without a defined advantage from their own clubs leaderships input in to the NBL points and salary system over the years then much respect. If Perth was winning playing clean quality basketball then much respect. Until then the rest of the nation may give your team credit. In the mean time if you were a little mote humble and at least acknowledge the distinct advantage your team has had and showed some respect for the teams that manage to put a team in to keep the league going over the years and give you competition (you did not win every game and had to work for it) then maybe what you call jealousy would not happen. We just call it rational thought and perspective. Go NZ, a small island with low population developing and producing great players and teams on a limited budget. Now that is worthy of respect. No one seems to be jealous of them despite winning so many finals the last 5 years. Why ?

Reply #577803 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That's a good question, actually, because aren't NZ the team that has taken by far the most piss out of the salary cap over a period of say the last 5 years?

Reply #577805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone but NZ. They shouldn't even be in an Australian competition

Reply #577807 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Obviously the Cats, but if they drop out then the Hawks.
Really don't want to see NZ win their 5th 'ship in 6 years. Ughhh!

Just my personal opinion, but MU still stinks a bit too much of LK throwing cash at buying a championship, I'd like to see them stick together for a while and build their team and fanbase.

Hawks would be a great comeback after going to the wall last year.

Reply #577811 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

if Perth was winning year in year out on a budget like some of the clubs then they would get much respect.
So you're jealous because Perth makes more money.
if Perth was drawing crowds in a smaller population in a stadium out of the city then much respect.
So you're jealous because we get better crowds.
If Perth was winning without a defined advantage from their own clubs leaderships input in to the NBL points
so you're jealous because our players hang around longer than a season

Go NZ, a small island with low population
you do realise there are almost 5 million people in New Zealand?
on a limited budget.
ROFL

Reply #577822 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I actually wouldn't mind Illawarra winning and I think they have a great chance.

Melbourne - NZ - could go to NZ in 2 games
Perth - Illawarra - LWW

Illawarra - NZ GF series WLW

Reply #577823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz not jealous at all just posing questions and putting things in perspective. You can't compare Say Townsvilles fortunes against Perths, it just doesn't add up same against Adelaide, just honouring the facts and not idolising a team for doing so well they have been gifted so much by default. I respect wins but even more those that can achieve without those gifts. Same for everything in life. Some do it tougher but when they get there it is so much sweeter.. As far as NZ goes, overall their pop is smaller to chose from than Australia but they only have 1 team. They are hugly regionalised as well. They have managed to support their indigenous as well and develop them like the AFL does. They don't have the financial support of other teams and I have far more respect for Vickerman as a coach han a team that tanks on the premise of resting or a coach that whinges constantly and a fan base that pleads for sympathy about rough tactics. As a fan for my team I see their weaknesses and would never defend a comment that is factual, in fact I may agree with an opposing fan. It never does anyine any good to deny the truth. It seems many on this site can not have a healthy debate and say yep, we are lucky to have the circumstances for our team to do so well and credit to say Townsville for giving us some ripper competition and making us better or can't believe they can achieve on so little support. Just a bit of humility would change attitudes towards some teams and fans, thats all.

Reply #577824 | Report this post

What has Perth been "gifted"?

Reply #577825 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Melbourne gets knocked out then I want Illawarra to win it.

Reply #577827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shakes head at anonymous.......idiot!

Reply #577834 | Report this post

Justeve  
Years ago

Haters will come up with anything Dazz

Reply #577835 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Any team but Perth. But in order Hawks United then NZ. But yeah any damn team besides Perth and that supporter base of theirs.

Reply #577837 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

No doubt that Illawarra are the people's champs.

They'll be everybody's second team.

Reply #577839 | Report this post

Poor Kobe24. Doesn't cope when he sees others do well.

Reply #577842 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The tall poppy syndrome is strong in this one

Reply #577844 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Your just a bunch of very arrogant know it all types, well a few of you anyways. Tall poppy syndrome not really applicable in a fan base sports scene. Would be weird to support the arch enemy when you think about it...

Reply #577846 | Report this post

We're only know-it-all's because we correct people who talk utter shit.

Reply #577848 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Hawks, kind of amazed they have done so well relying on White, Weeks, Ellis and Davidson.

Reply #577849 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

You tell em Chalmers you smug bugger, if we all talk so much shit maybe go elsewhere. Anyways Hawks being able to bring Martin off the bench is a real bonus for them, White has stood up more than I thought he would. They really are fun to watch hope they get rolling.

Reply #577850 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I think all United fans should be seriously worried about getting swept.

IMO, if CG43 doesn't fire on Thursday, United are swept. He's copped some heat from this forum and elsewhere for not standing up in the big games. None bigger than Thursday night and for me he is the United barometer.

If United can get past NZ, I think they'll take the chocolates this year.

Reply #577862 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

If my team cannot win, then who cares.

Reply #577870 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'd like to see MU win it all. They have provided an exciting brand of basketball to watch all season and their 'rookie' coach has managed the personalities quite well.

Reply #577875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want to see 3rd vs 4th play in the Grand Final.

When was the last time both underdogs made the GF? I don't think ever in the top four finals era. Maybe once or twice in top six/lucky loser era. and back when there were top 8/quarter finals only a handful of times.

Let's have a couple of upsets in the semis.

Reply #577930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has Perth been "gifted" with you ask?

Bogans!

Reply #577931 | Report this post

Classic!

Reply #577936 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

The 95 - 96 Bulls.

Old but had to..

Reply #577940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The almighty Warriors to come to Aus for a side trip to win our 'ship before clinching the NBA one.

Reply #577942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Judging from recent games a United-Wildcats GF series could get the biggest finals attendance in many years.

Also could set a world flopping record.

Reply #577959 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"Dazz not jealous at all "

Are you kidding? You are greener than the Celtic Clover.

You are saying the Cat's success is somehow less valid because they have money (that happens when you make a profit shock horror).

You are saying the Cat's success is somehow less valid because they have more fans (that they had to market themselves for).

You are saying the Cat's success is somehow less valid because they have population. Ummm...when they started their success, WA had less than 2 million people. Would this mean you are also invalidating Sydney and New Zealand's 3-peats? If so, idiocy must run firmly through your family's bloodline.

Could you actually give us an example of where the Cats are arrogant and lacking in humility rather than just spouting that they are?

Reply #577995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why feed da trolls doe?

Reply #577996 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"Your just a bunch of very arrogant know it all types,"

Ohh...you mean like how you know its all about Joey's vision for the Sixers?

Happy for you to dislike the Cats or whoever, don't label others smug when you have been doping the same all year.

Cheers.

Reply #577997 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Since the Sixers aren't in, I'd like to see Illawarra win it.

They've had to overcome some significant impediments :

- Lisch Injury start of season.
- Penney injuries (back and hammy).
- Rhys Martin injury
- Kevin White
- Tyson Demos
- Larry Davidson.
- Also the ghost of Zac Delany.

They deserve some positive Karma their way.

Reply #577999 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Don't understand how everyone is picking NZ. They've won four in the past five years; I expected them and Perth to be the "absolutely no way" teams.

Reply #578008 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Hawks for sure. Love to see them get up.

Failing that, anybody but United

Reply #578018 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Camby is back, joy. Your coach who was offered a 3 year extension failed, I love the team not the coach, he is a concern

Reply #578042 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Don't understand how everyone is picking NZ."

Are you talking about this thread? Because I'm not seeing much love for NZ.

Part of me would like to see NZ and Perth roll around in another GF, but I think Melbourne v Illawarra would be the most entertaining and it would be good to have a different team win.

Having said that, NZ v Perth looks a decent bet at the moment, they both rebound and defend at an elite level, so Melbourne and the Hawks will have to shoot the heck out of it to win.

Reply #578056 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

When discussing the respective public perceptions and likability of Perth and NZ, I can't help but think about the impact Tai Wesley (who is definitely from Guam and absolutely not a third American import) has had.

Far be it from me to defend Perth, but if Earnest Ross had the sort of impact at Perth that Tai Wesley is having at NZ, I feel like complaints of impropriety and a lack of fairness would be a bit louder on forums like these ...

In any case, it appears as though the Larry Kestleman/Melbourne United conflict of interest perception has propelled them up the unlikability ladder to challenge Perth.

Reply #578124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Don't understand how everyone is picking NZ. They've won four in the past five years; I expected them and Perth to be the "absolutely no way" teams."

Maybe because NZ are likeable, unlike Perth.

ROFLMAO @ the Zac Delaney reference GOLD!!

Reply #578128 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Far be it from me to defend Perth, but if Earnest Ross had the sort of impact at Perth that Tai Wesley is having at NZ, I feel like complaints of impropriety and a lack of fairness would be a bit louder"

From memory I think Tai actually qualifies under FIBA rules whereas Ross doesn't.

Reply #578143 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754