About this
Years ago

Big V Predictions

With only 5 rounds to go int he BIG V who are the predictions for the Grand finals for each comp?

Topic #39592 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

SCM - Knox & Waverley Winner Knox
SCW - Knox & Hume City Winner Hume City
D1M - Blackburn & Warrnambool Winner Blackburn
D1W - Sunbury & La Trobe Winner Sunbury
D2M - Western Port & Mornington Winner Mornington
D2W - Blackburn & Casey Winner Blackburn
VYCM - Blackburn & Melbourne Winner Melbourne
VYCW - Ringwood & Dandenong Winner Ringwood
YL1M - Altona & Warrandyte Winner Warrandyte
YL1W - Altona & Warrandyte Winner Warrandyte
YL2M - Mornington & Pakenham Winner Mornington
YL2W - Chelsea & Keilor Winner Chelsea

Reply #590797 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

SCM - Waverley and Ringwood are most likely to challenge, however I feel Corio Bay and Knox will play off and if Knox get home court they could win it, as I imagine they expected to when they entered. But, beware of the 'Rays, they have plenty of sting this time of the season!

SCW – Southern Pen got smacked by Knox who will no doubt be there, however Ringwood and Hume may give them a run, so I predict an upset win by Ringwood just because I don't want Knox to win.

D1M – Not being a Blackburn fan I hope like hell the Seahawks can upset the Vikings and I can’t see Casey getting over either of these two and the others may be too inconsistent this season.

D1W – Latrobe no chance as the Sunbury v Geelong final will ultimately go down to whether or not the Jet’s super star imports will play and play well, if they are slightly off the Supercats will win!

D2M – Western Port and Mornington are favourites, however I rate Pakenham to give them a run, unfortunately can’t see Western Port losing with home court.

D2W – This is a four way battle, Blackburn, Casey, Mornington and Coburg with Casey holding the best form right now. I predict an upset win by Mornington, because last year’s Big V results prove that anything is possible.

Reply #590818 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

VYCM - Dandenong have proven to be hard to handle and Blackburn are chokers, so I think Dandenong men will get over them unless Bulleen or Melbourne upset either in the run home, even then I am going for Rangers.

VYCW – A five way tie for me, can't split Ringwood, Melbourne, Nunawading, Bulleen or Dandenong, so I will throw the dice and see where they land, here goes... Winner is Dandenong, to make it a double in Men and Women!

YL1M – Currently I can’t see Altona losing to anyone in the finals and neither the Pacers nor the Venom are good enough to challenge them. This division is tight, but the Gators are proven to be too strong with too many weapons. The dark horse is Coburg, if they can get everyone fit at the right time!

YL1W – Warrandyte in a canter… But Werribee to play them in the final!

YL2M – After it took a miracle shot to defeat Mornington last weekend, I predict they will trounce everyone and win against Pakenham; however Corio Bay could upset and make the final if they can just defend better.

YL2W – It does look like a Chelsea win may be on the cards, but four teams have their hands up, including Mornington, Keilor and Sunbury. Mornington for me, again a roll of the dice!

Reply #590819 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

VYCM - Dandenong have proven to be hard to handle and Blackburn are chokers, so I think Dandenong men will get over them unless Bulleen or Melbourne upset either in the run home, even then I am going for Rangers.

VYCW – A five way tie for me, can't split Ringwood, Melbourne, Nunawading, Bulleen or Dandenong, so I will throw the dice and see where they land, here goes... Winner is Dandenong, to make it a double in Men and Women!

YL1M – Currently I can’t see Altona losing to anyone in the finals and neither the Pacers nor the Venom are good enough to challenge them. This division is tight, but the Gators are proven to be too strong with too many weapons. The dark horse is Coburg, if they can get everyone fit at the right time!

YL1W – Warrandyte in a canter… But Werribee to play them in the final!

YL2M – After it took a miracle shot to defeat Mornington last weekend, I predict they will trounce everyone and win against Pakenham; however Corio Bay could upset and make the final if they can just defend better.

YL2W – It does look like a Chelsea win may be on the cards, but four teams have their hands up, including Mornington, Keilor and Sunbury. Mornington for me, again a roll of the dice!

Reply #590820 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Isaac, please delete the repeat post, bloody computers......

Reply #590822 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

SCM Knox to beat Waverley
SCW Ringwood to beat Hume again!
D1M Blackburn to beat Warnambool

Have seen nothing of the other divisions!

Reply #590831 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

SCM - Waverley
D1M - Warrnambool

Reply #590832 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Interesting to see Knox get beaten twice over the weekend to slip to 3rd. Corio go top, followed by Waverley..

Reply #591052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay SCM are going to be hard to stop. Two very decent imports, an aging star in Reardon who is as good as any import in the league, another star big in Hicks who has been there for a few years now and with players like Rebula and Varley they have decent scoring, speed and ball handling support.

Plus, their coach is very credentialed, I mean Mark Leader is as good a coach in the Big V as any of them, so I am very bullish about this team.

Reply #591631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second week of the finals and games are best of three, why is this the case and why is the final a one and done game?

This is weird, does anyone have an idea why the schedule has been changed to this crazy system?

Reply #593226 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

SCM- I have been really impressed with Eltham in the second half of the season. But it will be a Corio Bay and Waverley Grand Final with Corio Bay winning... just.

D1M- The best two teams all season have been Warrnambool and Blackburn. I expect these two will make the Grand Final and Blackburn to win. Melton could be a dark horse.

D2M- Pakenham for me, when they are playing well they have too many weapons. Western Port just haven't been that convincing of late.

Reply #593338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noticed Ringwood got over McKinnon this time around and now get a three game series to make the final. Must be wonderful to change the competition to suit one association. Gee hope they don't fall on their sword!

Reply #593575 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

Unbelievable result in D2M down at Mornington. Collingwood coming back from 10 points down at 3/4 time to win by 3.

Reply #593587 | Report this post

Vodka  
Years ago

D2 has been fantastic this year.
Very interesting results with Mornington now out I don't think you can go past Paky to take it out

Been a great year for there club, the successful addition of YL this year has really seen their program and now the Men should take it out

They will play Western port in the final and I reckon could even sweep em

Cant completely rule out Collingwood with Manny either

Reply #594257 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Almost grand final time, some close calls, amazing results and predictable ones too.

SCM - Eltham take game one at home to stun the Stingrays who now have to get both home games to progress. Ringwood do the same in their match against Waverley making next week's games huge!

SCW - Hume City win away at Southern Pen, will they take game two and go through, while Knox do the same against Ringwood to give themselves a big chance next match.

D1M - Melton at home take game one over Latrobe and Casey do the same over Shepparton to make the home teams next week work for it. Blackburn and Warrnambool just waiting it out.

D1W - Geelong take game one away at Latrobe by two points gives them a huge advantage while Sunbury show their class smacking Mildura away and should get through in two.

I hope I got this right, the new system of finals is all over the place.

D2M - Coburg at home get game one by two points over Collingwood who will now have to get both home games, same for Pakenham who lost to Western Port and go back to the 'ham for two hard games I'd suggest.

D2W - Casey just get the choc's over Blackburn and go to the Vikings home court for the next two games while Melb Uni smashed Mornington and go home now as favourites.

Reply #595109 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

VYCM - Congratulations to Melbourne men in a huge win over Ringwood after they probably already played their final knocking out Dandenong the week before.

VYCW - In a closer final Melbourne make it two from two by surprising Bulleen to take out the grand final.

YL1M - Altona had to do it the hard way and get Coburg in game three, now they play Whittlesea in the final after they too had to work to get over Werribee in three. Home court counted in these games.

YL1W - The schedule is different for the women, Altona had to defeat Coburg last week to face Werribee whi knocked out Warrandyte, the final saw the Gators prevail to win the comp.

YL2M - Mornington get to the grand final in two, disposing of Casey to prove they are the top contender. Corio Bay stuns Pakenham after losing an OT game to get game three away and will now meet The Breakers in a do or die final.

YL2W - Chelsea were the team most likely all season, they had to get over Mornington and did so by a point and then won the grand final, also by a point, this time at Keilor so well done to the Gulls girls.

That's my wrap...

Reply #595113 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Ringwood were pretty good in their win over Waverley on Saturday night. Looked like Hodgson was going to be the difference through most of the game, but Clarke and Latham wore him down as the game went on.

And to the anon poster above, lucky for Waverley they have got three games to try and get past Ringwood.

Reply #595155 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@spot up, do you know why they changed the finals format to best of three games in the semi-finals instead of the grand final?

It is a nightmare to try and work out what is going on this year with these new formats, I just wonder why it was actually changed, I am sure it wasn't one Association driving it was it?

Seems to me the logical way to do the finals would be:

Semi-Final One game at the home court of higher ranked team.

Grand-Final best of three games in a 1-1-1 format with home court first to higher ranked team.

Reply #595207 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

No idea why it changed. I don't mind the 3 game semi-final series, although I don't know why it's not 1-1-1. Certainly helped Eltham and Ringwood, and makes for two very interesting series.

It does make it a bit hard to follow when they have different systems for different divisions. A move towards the same number of teams in each division would help. At least there's compulsory promotion/relegation happening this year (currently...).

Reply #595257 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The concept of best of 3 isn't new, but to have that as the semi-finals and only one game in the grand final is just questionable.

Why not have 1-1-1 as the semi-final round and also 1-1-1 for the grand final round, just seems to make more sense, doesn't it?

Reply #595332 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

I thought the GF series was still best of 3? Is it not?

Reply #595370 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

As far as I am aware, no, the grand final is one and done!

Reply #595599 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

I can't find anything that confirms it either way, apart form the by-laws stating that the preference is to have a 3 game series. I certainly hope it's a 3 game series, although the by-laws seem to confirm that it'll be game 1 for the lower placed team, and 2 and 3 for the higher placed team.

Reply #595635 | Report this post

Ariel  
Years ago

So the semi finals are best of 3 but the GF is a one off?

Reply #595641 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yes, that is confirmed, so what gives?

Seems so strange to me, I am trying to work out why the Big V would create such a schedule and who benefits from it, but I just don't seem to be able to make sense of it at all...

Reply #596098 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

If that is the system then I don't get it either. If Rindwood and Eltham are both able to grab one more win this weekend then it's a GF that Ringwood host I guess?

Reply #596104 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The GF isn't a single game, it's a best of 3 like the SF. I don't know why the Big V don't make the finals structure document which covers all divisions conveniently available on their website, but for clarity here's the system for SCM, SCW, D1W (top 6/best of 3)

Elimination Finals
week 1
1st and 2nd bye
EF 1 Sat or Sun 3rd v 6th
EF 2 Sat or Sun 4th v 5th

Semi Finals
week 2
SF 1 Sat or Sun lowest EF winner v 1
SF 2 Sat or Sun highest EF winner v 2
week 3
SF 3 Sat 1 v lowest EF winner
SF 4 Sat 2 v highest EF winner
SF 5 Sun 1 v lowest EF winner (if required)
SF 6 Sun 2 v highest EF winner (if required)

Grand Finals
week 4
GF 1 Sat or Sun lowest ranked winner v highest ranked winner
week 5
GF 2 Sat highest ranked winner v lowest ranked winner
GF 3 Sun highest ranked winner v lowest ranked winner (if required)

Reply #596112 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

Thanks Anon, good news!!

Reply #596135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Big V Tv know that, doesn't seem like they do?

Reply #596137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth League grand finals are all one game, why is it all different is the question?

Reply #596163 | Report this post

Ariel  
Years ago

Does anyone know why there is such a discrepancy across all the men's divisions?

This year it is
SCM 14 teams top 6
D1M 15 teams top 8
D2M 10 teams top 5

Give the bottom few teams in SCM are on par with the top of D1 and the top few in D2M are significantly better than the bottom few in D1M

Why do they not go with
SCM 13 teams top 6
D1M 13 teams top 6
D2M 13 teams top 6

Straight promotion and relegation across all of the divisions

Reply #596171 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The structure of the Big V is one thing, but the final format is quite another.

I always though the Championship Div could be the top 10-12 teams, then D1 could also be the top 10-12 teams with the rest going to D2 to be split into two conferences if there is too many teams for one division.

Keep it simple and use a promotions-relegation system, which I believe they do now, not too hard one would think.

As for the finals format, I am still confused, no idea what's going on there...

More to the point, why it is the way it is!

Reply #596179 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

I completely agree with Aerial about the restructure..13 teams in each, 24 game season seems to make a bit of sense. Wouldn't mind 2 up and 2 down to keep things interesting.

Also still confused about the finals format!

Reply #596184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way too many teams in D1 this season, makes no sense for your middle division to be the largest.

loads of merit and common sense to have 3x13 teams

Reply #596196 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, merit and common sense isn't always considered as the pre requisite to structure it would appear, nor is it for the Big V finals format apparently!

Where is the sense in one away then two at home, when a 1-1-1 seems much fairer to the team with the higher rating.

And why on earth would this be a semi-finals format when the grand final is just one game, am I missing something?

Reply #596199 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

it also makes no sense to have divisions of equal number just because it looks symetrical..

Reply #596201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, given the top 3 or 4 teams in D2 are CONSIDERABLY better than the bottom half of D1 what would make sense?

Reply #596209 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

11-13 teams is fine if it works too, just not too many at the top level perhaps...

Reply #596217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Big V has not had a significant review of where teams and clubs are at since 2009

I have heard that Oakleigh will not be entering a D2 team next season so that will bring numbers in that division as well. Makes no sense to run a 9 team completion that would mean D2 only play 16 games across a 18 week season when you have 15 crammed into D1

Something needs to be done to the structure, the disparity between top and bottom within a division is increasing each season

Reply #596224 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

HO, it's not a matter of it looking symmetrical or otherwise, but there does need to be some logic to the structure of each competition to enable clubs to plan around where they want to be and what they want to achieve (e.g budgets for imports, development of local players, sponsorship..).

Surely they can work out how long the seasons goes for, how many games each team should play, devise the divisions from that and have the bottom division a bit flexible for teams that drop out and want to enter/re-enter.

Reply #596231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

spot up, can you get that message to the decision makers?

You are on the money and obviously know what goes on at this level

Reply #596232 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

It is a bit different when you're starting from scratch compared to an existing comp, which would require a fair bit of mucking around and may upset some clubs. It's never as simple as it seems to implement - although I'd argue for the Big V it's probably a worthwhile exercise.

Reply #596236 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bear, why do you still say "And why on earth would this be a semi-finals format when the grand final is just one game, am I missing something?" when it's already been clarified by #592116 that the GF is a best of 3 series.

As for a 1-1-1 format being fairer; that is generally accepted but since it is not practical for a statewide competition unless you extend the final series by 1 or 2 weeks and surely 5 weeks is long enough already.

Reply #596246 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Because it isn't the best of three across the whole of Big V, check out the web site, then you will understand my confusion Anon...

Anyway, unless you have an idea why a semi final is best of 3 when a grand final is one and done you can't seem to help any further either, I imagine!

Reply #596248 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Years ago

Go have a look at the YL2W comp where two teams actually ended up playing less games for the seasons then everybody else. The fixturing has been laughable

Reply #596249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge win by Corio Bay tonight to get the title in YD2M over the favoured Mornington at the Breakers home court, well done to the Stingrays.

If their SCM get game two they also go into the final.

Reply #596569 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Spot Up

I was basically responding to Ariel's naive three divisions of 13 proposal. That's just about symmetry - not about an effective structure.

When the league pulled D3 I criticised it, as I did when they took the two conferences of D2 and moved them up to D1. All of the sudden the league looked more like an onion than a pyramid.

Like so many here, so often, your comment is unprovable. I doubt very much that the top 3-4 of D2 are CONSIDERABLY better than the bottom half of D1. Think about what you write. You are saying that Mornington would belt Geelong or Mildura, teams with close to 50% records and pretty much break even for and against across the year.

Generally... the league structure is wrong. There are probably two too many teams in Championship, and right now probably three or four too many in D1. The problem is to fix this you probably need another fat year in D1 to sort out how good the teams are that need to drop from Championship.

You could argue that the bottom three of champ should be dropped, but you don't need to do that. If you move the bottom two, the talent within the league will probably adjust itself to achieve more equity in the remaining 10.

Someone else said there hasn't been a major review since 2009. Really if the league is doing its job well, which it is not, then there should not be a major review required. Year by year management should deliver these outcomes.

Reply #596596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a prediction, Mornington will have a please explain to present to the Big V after their less than friendly and unsportsmanlike hosting of the YL2M final last night. Maybe even a case of racial vilification from what I heard?

Reply #596608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Choke of the year goes to Blackburn Div1 men

Reply #596615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit harsh when top player goes down with what could be a 12 month injury.

Reply #596616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to all winners over the weekend but none more then YL Div 2 men. Seen the images and been told massive Mornington crowd, Mornington favouites but dogged determination from Corio Bay got them a Championship. I witnessed them last week against Pakenham and so this upset did not surprise me. Well done Stingrays.

Reply #596783 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Back to Ringwood v Corio Bay again in State Champ Men, and Ringwood v Hume City again in State Champ Women! Big night at Ringwood this Saturday night..

Reply #596794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Blackburn D1M? they were so impressive all year!

Reply #596800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@spot up, are those State Champs grand finals a best of three series?

Reply #596801 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

They are yeh. Game 1 at Ringwood this Saturday for both, games 2 and 3 in Geelong/Broady the following weekend I believe.

Reply #596802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These venues will be rocking!

Reply #596803 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Blackburn had a great season, an unfortunate injury to one of their star players and leaders of the team would've hurt them badly. They also struggled a bit with foul trouble throughout the game. Whilst no doubt they would be very disappointed, they had a great season.

Reply #596804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mornington in YL2M also had a great season, hardly lost a game until they got raided by Corio Bay in the final. Maybe the Mornington boys didn't give the opposition enough respect, think they had it won at half time and once the game tightened up they also tightened up.

I don't want to use the choke word, but once the Stingrays started to dominate the boards and their shots started to drop the Breakers couldn't find an answer and their best first half players went missing.

Corio Bay SCM also proved they will be very hard for Ringwood to get over by easily accounting for Eltham over the weekend. The only advantage Ringwood has is the lack of depth on the Stingrays roster, something Eltham couldn't exploit. Early foul trouble is the Stingray's Achilles Heel, so the officials may have a say in the final, hope not!

Reply #596808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BB, Who got injured at Blackburn?

Reply #596832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick George did what looked like an ACL injury. Michael D'Agostino was playing with a broken finger on his shooting hand. It really went wrong for Blackburn down the crunch end of the season.

Reply #596846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tune into Big V TV every week and listen to the panel question teams all year about their form etc even though they have injuries and player unavailability.

I would expect the same will go for Blackburn this week.....

Reply #596880 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Yeah terrible news for Nick George, has had a great season and I certainly hope he comes back from this to play again.

My finals tips.
SCM- Corio Bay in 3 games
D1M- Warrnambool in 2 games
D2M- Western Port in 2 games

SCW- Hume City in 2 games
D1W- Sunbury in 2 games
D2W- Casey in 2 games

With the new strict promotion/relegation system (which I think is awesome) this would mean:
Bulleen out of SCM, Warrnambool in
Camberwell our of D1M, Western Port in

Whittlesea out of SCW, Sunbury in (Emmie O'Niall to return?)
Craigieburn our of D1W, Casey in

Reply #596909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the promotion relegation system really that strict ??

I have heard Camberwell will seek approval to remain in DIM on account of some poor luck with injuries.

Reply #596918 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

There is meant to be automatic promotion/relegation this season. I think there's still an option for teams to apply to change divisions if they can justify it, do there's a bit of discretion.

It'd be good if this was only used in absolutely exceptional circumstances in my opinion, but we'll see what happens I guess.

Reply #596978 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, here we go, it is grand final week for the State Champs, D1 and D2 while the remaining Youth League has been decided. Here is my take on the results and my preview of the exciting games ahead.

YL1M - While the final was a one and done affair, the favourite all season in this division was Altona and at home the Gators hung on to take the title over a competitive Whittlesea. It will be interesting to see if they move up to Championships and replace Keilor next season.

YL1W – Also a one off final after only one semi-final (so confusing), Altona made it two from two with the girls getting up over Werribee Sunday afternoon. They will probably now replace Geelong in the Championship with the Supercats only winning two games this season.

YL2M – In what can only be described as a boil over, the Corio Bay men went into the Breakers home court and took them over in a strong second half defensive effort. Mornington were the raging favourites all season and the Stingrays now have an opportunity to replace Keysborough in YL1.

SCM – As has been posted the Corio Bay men turned it on at home in games two and three to get over Eltham while Ringwood coasted to win through in two games over Waverley, both will play off again in a repeat of the final from a few years ago. It will be a tough series with Ringwood home in game one and capable of winning away as they proved in the past, but my heart says another Stingrays championship is headed down the highway to Geelong's Corio Bay.

SCW – Hume women rolled into the final winning two games and will also meet Ringwood who just got Knox in three tight ones. You have to think Hume are favoured here, but if Ringwood can get their first home final they can apply pressure in the next two.

D1M – In a slight surprise it is Warrnambool v Casey in this final series, Casey at home first, but I think the Seahawks will overcome them to win the series in two and make a case for Championship promotion at the expense of Bulleen who really struggled. Warrnambool are talented and while Blackburn were probably stunned to lose to Casey, Warrnambool are likely also just as capable of playing up a Division.

D1W – All the signs and all the form says Sunbury will defeat Geelong, but you just never know. If the Jest have all of their super star imports available they probably deserve top billing, for the Supercats it will be down to earth, blue collar, hard nose basketball. If Geelong can get game one at home they are a chance, but they had to sneak past Latrobe and it wasn’t easy, so Sunbury for the win.

D2M – Western Port have been the form team, Coburg meet them after having to do it the hard way and I think they may just fall short, but they have surprised me a little, so if the Giants can get that crucial first up home win they could create an upset. If not, the Port will get it in two and I’m not sure how Camberwell can avoid relegation if the winner here wants to go up.

D2W – Melbourne University is a warm favourite here, Casey has snuck into the final on close wins but the 'U’ has been very competent and may get this in two. They should go up to replace Craigieburn women in D1 next season, but Werribee had the same record, so who knows.

I think the finals format is interesting, best of three games is great but 1-1-1 would be better than the lower team having game one at home to start, it kind of doesn’t give the higher ranked team what it deserved IMHO, we will see...

Reply #596979 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The preference for a 1-1-1 format in any best of 3 final series has been raised several times in this thread, but is it really practical or better than what's currently used?

Remember this is a statewide competition and so it is just not practical to complete the 1-1-1 format over two weekends - imagine travelling from Mildura after a Saturday night Game 2 to play a deciding Game 3 at Latrobe City on Sunday afternoon - and so the finals would have to be extended by potentially two weeks to allow for the 3 game series in both semi and grand finals.

While playing Game 1 away for the home team is a disadvantage for the higher ranked team, the current format ensures the higher ranked team will celebrate a series win on their home court, if they win. Whereas for the 1-1-1 format if the higher ranked team sweeps the series in two games, the win will be at an away venue.

Reply #596982 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some good points Anon, thanks for the insight. Especially the idea that the higher ranked team should they get the win can celebrate at home, it makes more sense of the 1-2 system.

I can see the benefits of it, probably more important is the case in point about the travel if two teams are 7 hours apart, but I think a quick plane ride would sort that out.

Either way the current system of three semi finals and three finals is a good one, I would just like to see it uniform across all Divisions to make it easier to follow...

Reply #596984 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

I am pretty sure it's just the travel issue that has made things the way they are, and why the league doesn't prefer the 1-1-1 system.

Reply #597000 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

Was talking to a few people from Camberwell and they are almost certain to stay in D1M

Reply #597010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who makes way for Western Port then JT?

Reply #597016 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Purely an outsiders opinion but it's a shocking look for the league if Camberwell stay up. They won 2 games out of 20, the league have finally "committed" to proper promotion/relegation and Camberwell are going to argue to stay up because they think they had extenuating circumstances? Every team has injuries..

Reply #597019 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

"Who makes way for Western Port then JT?"
D1M will be back to 2x 8 team conferences.

to answer "spot up"
"the league have finally "committed" to proper promotion/relegation " - I think you'll find they have committed to promotion, not relegation is at discretion of the league. Read the by-laws

Reply #597023 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Hence my use of "committed". I've read them. I wouldn't have thought promotion with no relegation was the intention just because one team had injuries.

Anyways I'm not arguing about what may or may not happen, simply stating my opinion that it's a bad look for a team that goes 2-20 to stay up because they think they're good enough to.

Reply #597025 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The league's by-laws are there to be interpreted for the best outcomes and to create what is best for the league and for basketball I imagine, using some common sense and obviously adopting the promotion/relegation process where suitable.

At this stage in the men's we have:

SCM - 12 teams with Bulleen (one win in 22 rounds) clearly struggling, then Whittlesea (three wins) and Hawthorn (four wins).

One could argue that this division would be far more competitive with 10 teams, but I would not go bigger than the current number.

D1M - 15 teams with Camberwell last (two wins from 22 games), then (on five wins each) Warrandyte and Melb Uni.

Yes, a case could be made to introducing an additional team and going to two conferences of 8 teams each, but 16 teams in the middle tier is a lot of teams too. Could it be better served by dropping three teams and toughening up the competition?

D2M - 10 teams and the list isn't bad, but I think here is where it should be fattened up, seems like the whole thing is a little top heavy to me...

If we are to make two conferences with 8-10 teams in each or whatever, it could be done here, but at least this is where there could be more teams, so the upper levels are of a higher quality, just a thought?

Reply #597034 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Same could be said for the women's Big V competition:

SCW - cull 12 teams down to 10 (Whittlesea and Melb Uni down to D1W), makes it much more elite.

D1W - Drop three teams (with the two coming in from champs), makes it a 10 team comp as well.

D2W - At the moment it would go from 8 to 11 teams doing this and easily cater for growth, like maybe a Corio Bay team coming in and they go to 12 teams.

Reply #597038 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Bear, I'm of a similar view to you I think. One interesting thing this season is that in SCM there was 22 games, so you play the other 11 teams twice each and have a fair draw.

Div 1 also played 22 games, however with 15 teams it can't be an even draw. Two conferences is a way to deal with this, although not my own preference.

So, going to SCM - 12 teams, Div 1 - 12 teams, and Div 2 - whatever is leftover makes a bit of sense to me..

Reply #597055 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

True, but there are so many double headers in a season now that I think decreasing the number of teams will not adversely affect the draw either.

It is more about the level of competitiveness.

Also, I am not sure what it costs to enter a D2M team compared with that of D1 or SCM, I do know about how much it costs for a SCM team, but it probably isn't the same everywhere!

Competitiveness and being able to maintain a standard of venue while making it sustainable for this to be achieved (an Association to be able to continue to do it all without going broke) is where I am coming from I guess...

If the costs are the same across all divisions (I doubt it very much), then it doesn't matter, but I think this is sometimes overlooked.

Reply #597058 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

The more certainty there is about the structure of the competition, the more clubs can plan what their objectives are and what their expenditure should be (in theory).

I don't mind decreasing the number of teams either, as long as the draw is fair and even. 22 games seems a good amount and is a good fit with 12 teams in each division, although it'll probably fluctuate a bit in Div 2 (I think Oakleigh are out next season?)

Reply #597064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The gap between the top few of D1 and the bottom few in D1 was crazy.

Something needs to be done, but that requires the league making some tough decisions and staying strong about it!

Reply #597159 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I hope you are not the same anon as above who said the top 3-4 of D2 were considerably better than half of D1. If you are you seem to be changing your tune.

You can't just fix D1. You have to fix the structure. If you have to, then cut SCM to 9-10 teams, and cull four out of the bottom of D1. But the league has problems throughout its structure, not just in the middle.

Reply #597171 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Years ago

Seriously the top and bottom convo is a waste of time. Every division bot men and womens is the same. the top 4 are well and truly above the others. Few exceptions the 5-6 come into play. But compared to the bottom for they always seem to hand our big ass whoopings an they always will.

Reply #597205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V structure is a topic in itself, but here is what it could look like.

SCM / SCW - 10 teams 19 rounds with extended finals

D1M / D1W - 10 teams 19 rounds with extended finals

D2M / D2W - Two conferences to cater for all the rest where needed

VYCM / VYCW - Stay as it is with two conferences of 8 teams in each with extended finals

YL1M / YL1W - 10 teams 19 rounds with extended finals

YL2M / YL2W - Cater for all the rest, make two conferences if needed

All elimination or quarter-finals a one off game
All semi-finals best of three games in 1-2 format
All grand-finals best of three games in 1-2 format

Reply #597296 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

Tips for the weekends games?

Reply #597403 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

Ringwood got up by 25...thought they might get game 1 but not by that much!

Reply #597550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood men shot the lights out, also got plenty of friendly calls at the right time too. If the ref's can see it both ways the series should come down to game three on Sunday. Ringwood women are no chance, the Hume City girls from Broady are just too good and will win it on two.

Reply #597584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injury worries for Corio, they could be cooked.

Reply #597662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D1M looks like Warrnambool and D1W will be Sunbury.

SCW will be Hume and SCM looks like Ringwood.

D2M Coburg have a shot and D2W Melb Uni will win.

Reply #597663 | Report this post

Sick of this  
Years ago

D2W final was a joke as well. More so resembling a wrestling match, then that of a baskletball game.

Having been around the game for so long I really can not fathom why an appraoch of call nothing has been adopted now in the finals.

Arguing with those in Grey who don`t know what they are doing has becomg all to common.

Reply #597680 | Report this post

Dwayne Pipe  
Years ago

Upset Casey fan?

Reply #597717 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

Great win by Ringwood again, shot the lights out early and maintained the lead throughout.

Reply #598145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood men got off to a flyer. Stingrays looked confused and unsure of themselves early and couldn't recover. They gave it a run early in the last quarter but the Hawks once again hit key long bombs that Corio Bay just couldn't match.

Reply #598158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see two men's teams in d2 playing off without imports!

Reply #598181 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, the season is over and 2017 applications for new and existing Big V participating Associations are already open.

Entries close 14th September, which means everyone has very little time to take a breath before getting their applications completed and making the big decisions they need to play next season.

I am sure most Associations have well and truly considered their options already and of course the sooner the Big V can get these applications in the sooner they can start next season's organising.

Who goes up, who goes down and who comes in is always an interesting talking point, probably another thread to start...

Well done to those winners and everyone who made the final, not too many surprises in the senior competition, but certainly some interesting results!

Reply #598203 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Already talk that Sherbrooke will be attempting to come into D1M

Reply #598206 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Based on their Youth league and who else @BB, that's interesting?

Reply #598208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what is the cost to enter a team in the Big V? How much is a SCM/W team compared with D1 or D2 or YL, does anyone know? Nothing to indicate costs appears on the application forms or the By-Laws! I know it costs some Associations anywhere from $30-$50K for a team with imports, but what is the actual entry cost anyone know?

Reply #598231 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Years ago

BIG V Entry fees for 2016 as per below

SCM - $8,500
SCW - $7,500
D1M - $6,600
D1W - $5,900
D2M - $6,400
D2W - $5,700
VYCM - $4,900
VYCW - $4,200
YL1M - $4,700
YL1W - $4,000
Yl2M - $4,700
YL2W - $4,000

Reply #598241 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Doe anyone have a view on Warnambool coming up to SCM after winning D1M? I saw a couple of Div 1 games this season but didn't see Warnambool. Seems they were pretty reliant on Sobey and their import. Be interesting to see how this goes in SCM?

Reply #598301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour has it that there are a few other clubs that will apply to go up. Only the champions are guaranteed but others can put forward a case

Reply #598304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which other Div 1 teams have applied to go up ??

From what I have seen of Warrnambool this year they would need 2 very strong imports if Sobey is not around for them next season to compete in SCM.

If Sobey returns and they have the budget to recruit 2 decent imports as well then they will compete but depth of talent will be an issue.

They will need bigger bodies in SCM to fill out their roster.

Reply #598308 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Does Sobey count as a restricted player also?

I assume Casey will also apply, possible Melton? There'd need to be more than just Bulleen coming down to accommodate too many in SCM...

Reply #598322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of all of the teams in D1M, Casey are the most suited to go up.

Give Melton a second import and they would have more than competed in SCM this year.

Reply #598346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only Casey team getting a promotion would be their women's team. At least they win a grand final.

Reply #598368 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Years ago

Surely Casey don`t get a second free promotion after not earning the righ to go up? Free ride to D1 with and then again to State Champ??? EARN IT!!

Reply #598433 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

I think Casey have applied to go up to SCM in previous years and been knocked back.

I reckon 12 teams is the right number, and I can't imagine Whittlesea or Hawthorn being happy to go down to make room for Casey.

Reply #598438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey men program a shambles! no coach and players walked out. At least the women can win a title.

Back to D2 for them

Reply #598690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry Casey will throw money at more people, get new coach and new players and then shaft them screw them over when the Royal Committee of Casey change their minds

Reply #598698 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Years ago

Surely there will be plenty more people and players for the Casey "Rangers" to recruit going forward.

Reply #598798 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

It's amazing how much the result of one game (or a 3 game series) can have on whether an association is a complete shemozzle or not.

Reply #598805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay Stingrays will be looking for a new head coach for their Champ men's next season, Mark Leader taking a break from the game after doing a great job getting them one 'ship and a runners up.

Reply #601356 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

Chelsea women's coach has personally invited every single Keysborough player to his session tomorrow night

Reply #601644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't start that crap again.

Reply #601647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Here we go again, must be quiet times down at Keysborough I guess. From looking on there FB page it is an open Gym with player attending from a number of places.

Word from the coach is the team is already picked, perhaps Keysboroughs players wanted to stay in shape till their club find a coach willing to coah their side.

Reply #601699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysborough have had a coach for a while now. Just didn't make it public.

If the Keysborough players wanted to keep in shape perhaps they can go to the Keysborough session tonight instead of the Chelsea one.

No need to go down that path again. Both clubs need to let bygones be bygones

Reply #601709 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

Gotta chime in on the above BS because it is just that. Our list is locked away and we are focused on the 2017 season.

We have and open session tonight with players from a number of associations of different levels taking part for scrimmage purposes.

Good luck to Keysborough and the other sides. Hopefully they all have successful seasons.

Although I already know who you are, (gotta remember to hide that ip) please enlighten everyone Hydra and put your real name to your post. You're well aware that I am easily contacted and we can chat about this anytime you feel the need.

Cheers Craig,

Chelsea coach

Reply #601716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754