Isaac
Years ago

Cairns Taipans' import plans

CAIRNS' American cavalry is on its way, with the Taipans just days from signing a point-guard to fill the key playmaker role for the 2016-17 NBL season.

Taipans coach Aaron Fearne returned from the US on Saturday and told the Cairns Post he was hoping to finalise the deal this week.

It is understood the Taipans have placed a premium on signing a floor ­general to lead the Taipans back to the NBL finals this season.
The team has three import slots this season with Fearne searching for a point guard, a three-man and possibly a backup big man, with the American point guard set to be the first to put pen to paper.

Imports from last season, Markel Starks and Torrey Craig, won’t be returning.

Fearne revealed the first signing would be a newcomer to the NBL, and to Australia.
Full story

How's their roster looking at this point?

Topic #39669 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

Beal maybe?

Reply #592443 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Beal's not really a PG and definitely not a 3-man or a backup big man

Reply #592447 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I like their roster if they can place effective imports around their core. I think Gliddon and Nate are going to have huge seasons. If they can grab a super PG, the likes of Lisch or Jackson, they'll be looking good.

Will also be interesting to see if they bring back Burston if they can't find a suitable import backup for Nate.

Reply #592448 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

The Snakes are still hoping to keep Burston on as their 11th man, even if they get an import big, from what I'm told.

Beale is out of the question because: a) he's no good.
b) he's not a point guard, and
c) he's not a newcomer to Australia or the NBL.

Reply #592466 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I would love to see Pierre Jackson play for the Taipans, can score and run a team to almost NBA standard. Would draw crowds too, very dynamic player to watch.

Reply #592478 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Tom he would be perfect in the NBL. Randle vs Jackson would be a killer matchup. Make it happen Taips!

Reply #592486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RMQ. Try reading the original post.

"Fearne revealed the first signing would be a newcomer to the NBL, and to Australia."

Reply #592493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilbekin?

Reply #592496 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Any names any one???

Reply #592497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boatright?

Reply #592501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jaron Johnson was in talks with Cairns before the Wildcats offered more $

Reply #592626 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

ANy more rumours people?
'

Reply #592753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Settle guys, Cairns have limited money especially as they had to release Tragardh to even afford 2 imports. They cannot afford anyone exceptional so you are looking at bargain basement types. Jackson is far out of the question. Jawai absorbed 200K of their cap, they would only have 200K left maybe 250K if lucky, to spend on two imports. Hence Perth poaching Jaron, they offered a decent amount more. Cairns are the poorest of the NBL clubs at this point and unfortunately that means they won't be able to lure anyone off the chart this year. Can thank Jawai for that.

Reply #593018 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Cairns have spent under the cap for years and still performed OK. Only problem is their front line is ageing pronto with Worthington and Loughton. Has Burston been re-signed ? If so their front court could be a serious problem.

Reply #593019 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

More Anon Cr@p as usual.
Cairns will be fine AND will have 3 imports.

Reply #593064 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As Marvin said, its cheaper to find imports than to chase Aussie Marquees.
I don't know how much they spent on Jawai, but it shouldn't have broken the bank. As was mentioned by many in the leadup to his move, he was strongly motivated to return home to FNQ, and resume his relationship with Frearne.
There are cheap imports out there. You wait and see the guys from Summer League who couldn't get even a Euro offer. You point to the success of guys like Wilbekin and Ennis, and you offer them more than the D-League (not hard.) They come for a year, and both parties pray for a breakout.

Cairns have always done well to field a competitive team on a budget, I'm sure they will again.

Reply #593076 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cairns' roster looks pretty good to me, but they can't afford for Loughton and Worthington to build houses every week like last season or it will be too easy to nullify Jawai.

Reply #593081 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754