Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats sign Kernich-Drew for two years

The Perth Wildcats have signed Australian guard Dexter Kernich-Drew on a two-year deal.

He becomes the third new addition to the team's 2016/17 roster.

Born in Melbourne, Kernich-Drew played college basketball at Washington State University.

The sharp-shooter is excited to put pen to paper with the Wildcats.

"I’m so pleased to earn a position in this program," he said.

“I consider myself a bit of a defensive guy and a knock-down shooter. I’m the kind of player who gives his all, who can get involved with the nitty-gritty for the guys.”

In his senior year at WSU, Kernich-Drew averaged 6.3 points, 0.8 assists and 1.7 rebounds per game.
The 24-year-old stands at 201cm and weighs in at 87kg.

He joins Damian Martin, Greg Hire, Jesse Wagstaff, Matt Knight, Jarrod Kenny, Casey Prather, Angus Brandt and Jaron Johnson on the 2016/17 Perth Wildcats roster.
Full announcement

Topic #39678 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Hire mark 2

Reply #592548 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

I don't see how he has anything in common with Greg Hire?

Reply #592549 | Report this post

RatPAck  
Years ago

Still no mention of Shawn Redhage contracted in that article either

Reply #592550 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Redhage will be signed once we sign the big next week.

Reply #592551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats have drip-fed their singings/re-singings for years.

Reply #592557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He literally described himself as a defensive nitty gritty guy, that IS Greg Hire. C'mon Watto.

Reply #592571 | Report this post

Just Very Old  
Years ago

Ohh.... RRRRRRight - an energetic thug

Reply #592574 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Another 3 and D kinda guy, which is good, at least he knows his role.

Reply #592586 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Dexter vsing Jacobsen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ZGmFPYLNY

Reply #592596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I expect this signing is in the mould of Eric Burdon from a few years back. Might get a few spot minutes as a sit in the corner type shooter. A little concerned that we have now used two roster spots on guys you ideally don't want playing significant minuntes (Drew and Redhage if he is signed).

Reply #592597 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Redhage is still capable of pulling some good vet minutes off the bench. He's game is built on being being crafty and smart anyway.

But I would hope this will be the last year.

Reply #592600 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As predicted.
He's been locked in for a while, the Cats were just waiting for some dead-space to announce.

Not sure what people mean, this is a great signing.
We have needed somebody that can backup the 2/3 role and DKD fits the bill perfectly.
He spent most of last season as a training player with the Cats, so they've obviously had a thorough look at him, and he would also be familiar with the plays.

You also have to remember the bench cap. $400k to cover the 5 lowest paid guys, and that would have to include Brandt, so you're not going to get too many great players.
Redhage will get the scraps. At this point, he's playing for love (and records) so he'll get whatever they have left of that $400k.

And again, they'll announce that when things are otherwise quiet.

Reply #592618 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

If he is as good as a 3 and D guy that his stats say then he will be a good fit. Pending their import 5 guy selection this is looking to be an exciting team.

Reply #592632 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He supposedly has a good outside shot, he's more likely to back up the 2 spot.
We've Got Hire and possibly Redhage to backup the 3.

Reply #592644 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754