Southern Joe
Years ago

Light Vs Dark On Scoreboards

I am so sick of seeing scorers go by numbers rather than singlet colour when deciding light & dark on a scoreboard.

Last night our team, who plays in a predominantly red singlet, played against a team with very predominantly white singlet. We were deemed light because our numbers were in white & theirs was deep blue.

Whoever thought of this should take a good, hard look at themselves.

This is my point....

If you were describing a person's jumper who snatched someone's bag ..... what would the apt & most easily description be?

A) A person wearing a blue jumper.

or

B) A person wearing a jumper with white writing on it.

Topic #39686 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'd describe the colour of their skin. Is that what you want Light vs Dark to mean???

Reply #592689 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Where did I mention skin colour?

I'm specifically speaking about singlet colour.

Reply #592690 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Diva rule states team on top of scores best is cream "A" or light and team on bottom is dark or team B.

Colour of singlets has nothing to do with it.

Reply #592691 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Should read fiba

Reply #592692 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Thats also a stupid rule.

If I'm a parent not involved with the scorebench & I've just walked in or if I've come across a game... how am I supposed to know which team is on top of the scoresheet?

Reply #592693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask for the scoresheet and take a good, hard look at it.

Reply #592694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel your pain, Southern Joe. Life is real tough these days.

Reply #592695 | Report this post

Farr Kit  
Years ago

You could wait until one team scores and see whose score changes. If you had the patience that is.

Reply #592696 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

IMO it should be home team is A, away team is B. If there is no home or away, then it should go by singlet colour not numbers.

What annoys me is when you pre-game warmup on one side of the court and then play the first half on the other side. It's one of those little annoyances which everybody does. #LittleComplainsSeinfeldStyle

Reply #592701 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

there's meant to be a "t" in there

Reply #592702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe the usual rule is that the scorers determine who is what colour (light or dark).
The simple explnation is they have all the details already in their scoring equipment. Usually home team is A.

Reply #592745 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

The team named first on the program is team A and is also first and top on the scoresheet with their scores on top or left on the scoreboard. It shouldn't be arbitrary. Light and dark have long since had no bearing.

Reply #592754 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The team on top is classed as the hoMe team and they are suppose to sit on the left hand side of the scores bench as you are looking at the court from the team side of the court.

Reply #592756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do kids have a "program" at that age?

Reply #592762 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

"The team named first on the program is team A and is also first and top on the scoresheet with their scores on top or left on the scoreboard. It shouldn't be arbitrary. Light and dark have long since had no bearing."

That thinking has plenty of merit.... only thing is .... every scoreboard I have seen in Vic shows light or dark.

Many, many people have said that the VJBL rule is "supposed " to be that you go by the colour of the numbers to determine who shows up as light or dark. This is my beef.

I would like to see new scoreboards in every venue that allows for a small LED whereby scorers can type in say at least a 4 character alpha numeric code.

Reply #592765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team A on the scoresheet is always light and sits on the bench on the scorer's left hand side.

Team B on the scoresheet is always dark and sits on the scorers right.

If you walk in to the stadium to a game in progress, you can tell who light is by the bench they are sitting on.

Simple!

Reply #592810 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am so sick of the home team being mentioned first, because when I watch ESPN they are always second, it drives me........ On the other hand, lots more to worry about these days, I guess it doesn't really bother me at all any longer!

Phew, glad I got over that huge issue quickly...

Reply #592845 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Team A on the scoresheet is always light and sits on the bench on the scorer's left hand side.

Team B on the scoresheet is always dark and sits on the scorers right.
Every single game I've ever seen where the scoreboard only displayed light/dark or home/away, teams have sat at whatever bench they want to. Not sure where you're thinking of that's that organised.

Reply #592851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#592851 "Every single game I've ever seen where the scoreboard only displayed light/dark or home/away, teams have sat at whatever bench they want to. Not sure where you're thinking of that's that organised."

I have never seen anyone worry about it for domestic comp games, but for all junior rep games, this is the way it is approached for 95% of NSW junior country tournaments.

Reply #593114 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754