LC
Years ago

Penny Taylor announces retirement

Australian Opals legend Penny Taylor has announced she will retire from professional basketball at the end of the WNBA season.

Taylor remains determined and focused to add the one missing piece to her outstanding basketball resume - an Olympic gold medal.

Opals legend Penny Taylor announces retirement

An absolute legend of the sport here in Australia! Should be spoken of in the same light as Lauren Jackson and Michele Timms. Opals will see two of their greatest players ever retire in the same year.

Topic #39690 | Report this topic

Speed44  
Years ago

Agreed LC, she was a great player. I remember at one stage, I thought she was almost, if not, as good as LJ.

Reply #592770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor and Jackson are the two greatest basketball players this country has produced by a long, long margin.

Reply #592771 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Penny's reputation here in Australia has suffered because she has spent her summer months in Europe, whereas LJ regularly played in the WNBL which kept her profile huge.
But yeah, Penny's game at her peak was not far short of LJ's at all. She was never quite the go-to scoring machine that LJ was, but she is so damn smart, tough, and a great passer too. And so versatile. Consider that her first WNBA title was won playing the 4 spot, and her last one she was essentially the starting 2-guard.

I hadn't really heard her mention much about coaching in previous years, but I'm glad she has now because she'll make a good one.

Reply #592776 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Penny Taylor's jersey was officially retired by the Phoenix Mercury after this morning's win over NY.
They did a nice job with the ceremony...

Reply #639370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:59 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754