Anonymous
Years ago

Foxtel commentators for this season

Any word on the commentary team this year? I know heal and rucker were under a legal cloud - has this now cleared up? Would like to see Dwayne Russell involved again but lukewarm about Anthony Hudson.

Adam Paps is another must

Topic #39829 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Homicide can continue his love affair with CG43!

Reply #596623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bring back John Casey the best basketball caller in the country.I think Heal will be back as he got cleared

Reply #596625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ceeechiiii fourrrtiii treeeeeee, dat man is the MVP ladies and gentlemen, Love homicides passion!

Reply #596634 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I thought Homicide loved himself more!

Dennis Cometti is retiring at AFL season's end so when does channel 7 employ his replacement ? I ask as Dwayne and Anthony will atleast get spoken to so I wonder if this will change before NBL season starts or even if it affects it during season.

Reply #596770 | Report this post

grovermister  
Years ago

Isnt John Casey contracted to 7?

does the local (SANFL) footy etc...

i know it wouldnt be hard to get him to foxtel...

he does call the play well

him and gaze have had a "good" olympic call...

Reply #596799 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I doubt his contract would be exclusive...

Reply #596814 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

LK wants a better more eye-catching and immersive production to go along with the on-court product. This starts with selection of commentators and the way they're used.

Let's start with a little hypothetical.... Channel 7 comes on board as the new FTA partner replacing Channel Nine.

Studio Anchor
Mel Mclaughlin (for Channel 7 game)

Key Commentators:
Anthony Hudson (for NSW games)
John Casey (for SA games)
Dwayne Russell (for Vic games)
Warren Smith (for Qld games)
Basil Zempilas (for WA games)

Colour Commentators:
Derek Rucker (Qld games)
Shane Heal (NSW/Vic games)
Rupert Sapwell/Brett Maher (SA games)
?? (WA games)

How do they make the product better? They have to produce a narrative. Historically networks and the NBL are too content to let any sort of narrative happen organically, they're happy to sit around and let things happen. This doesn't cut it when competing against Soccer, Cricket etc.

#1 Coverage needs to start with an intro which shows action, not just generic animation.

(a) Replicate the way they cut highlights in the below video: https://youtu.be/5v-LhnTAJvw?t=24s
(b) Choose a decent song like the one in the above, or one from here https://youtu.be/JYjhkhe2e-k?t=16s or something produced by a local band like Hilltop Hoods
(c) Once the intro finishes transition it to a pan of the city the game is in, such as with Adelaide provide a pan of the Torrens River/Bridge/Convention Centre or Victoria Square and a busy North Terrace shot before the graphic "Adelaide 36ers v and the lead commentator starts talking. - Look at the way ESPN does it for the NBA "welcome to San Antonio for...." as they show the Alamo river/side walk.

#2 Key games or a key time slot like Friday Night Basketball needs a non-generic/game-specific intro. It needs to build the narrative of what's going on - whether it be a narrative of:

> Player matchup: Randle v Lisch
> Team culture/position: Wildcats perpetual success, Kings ruling, 36ers run & gun
> Rivalry: Hawks v 36ers epic/horrible last moment of 2001
> Stadia: Place as a fortress, the teams sent home packing
> Ladder position: Battle for who to rule at the top

The above should be discussion points that people want to have, it pushes the story of the NBL, what's going on. It informs people and peaks their interest. We all know Subiaco is hard to win in, Tippett v Crows history, Dangerfield virtually unbeatable, Hawks perpetual success...

#3 Commentators need to realise what to analyse and what not to analyse in the pre-game. The above narrative should be followed on...

> Here are the teams on the ladder
> This was the last result between the sides
> This is their current form and the importance/ramification
> This is the key matchup (brought to you by....#sponsor) to focus on
> These are the starting 5's for each team

#4 Camera Angles & Highlights - When a player brings the ball up relatively slowly you can have a close up angle, during game play show the usual birds-eye view, after a score show a quick close up of the player who scored if the other team isn't pushing the ball up fast. Definitely do it if they do a dunk, knock down a big three or do an And-1 on a foul - follow the emotion without depriving people of game being played. Highlights should be provided of a) Big threes/dunks/alleys/epic passes/blocks, b) good momentum play or offensive movement, c) controversial moments/in dispute calls/non-calls, d) emotion displayed by players or coaches. These highlights should not be at the expense of showing the game played, do them in little breaks or the nearest uneventful moment.

#5 Time Outs - If it goes to an advert then follow the ESPN style, show the key moment that just occurred or moments if there are a few have the commentator say something as a little music begins and off to a commercial. If there are no adverts then continue the narrative, emotion of the game because on many occasions time outs occur in momentous periods for one of the sides, one might be rolling another might be under the pump. Show a couple of highlights of those key momentous plays, the emotion of the players if they display it show a graphic saying the scoring run or if a player is hot show his stats etc. Then cut to the last bits of one of the team so you can see the coach doing his thing while commentators make their final points. After the time out and as play begins again have the sideline reporter give a brief on what was said by the coach.

If there's something particularly interesting said by a coach, do what ESPN does and replay that moment and commentators can discuss it a little.

#6 Quarter/3Q time break: Who's hot, who's cold, key area of success for side that's happier and key area for struggle for side that isn't so happy

#7 Halftime break:
> Re-look at the matchup or the narrative story
> Look at the potential ramification if the result continues
> What's going well + highlights /what's not + highlights
> Stats leaders in points & key other stat that's relevant to that particular game
> Best player stats and highlights
> Star player who's cold stats and highlights

#8 End of game:
> Look at end of game stats
> Interview of player
> Player of the game + highlights
> Key moment of the game + highlights
> Ramification on the live ladder
> What game is next for both sides
> What game is next to be shown on Fox/7

Reply #596840 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

KET, email your idea to the NBL

Reply #596863 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Steve Carfino
‏@carfinomagic
It's official I'm back on the Fox Sports NBL commentary team.
Working with pros, can't wait!

Reply #596866 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

There goes any chance of me subscribing to Foxtel!

Reply #596871 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Luuuc, beat me to it.

Shame we can't have Gaze, but I like the familiar voices. Feels like watching with family. Carfino, Casey, etc. Rucker is great and I like Maher too.

Reply #596877 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I just hope Channel 7 now decide to put a bid in for the NBL. The worst possible time to have the league hidden away on Foxtel.

Casey & Gaze did such a good job in Rio it would be nice having both of them back doing NBL games.

Reply #596883 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Casey is like that ex you think you are sick of until you get back together for a few nights and have some fun.

I could do without him though for a full season.

Reply #596888 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha what's with the picture Carfino posted?

Reply #596889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ket I loved your plan until you mentioned Basil Zempilas.He is a terrible commentator Adam Papalia is a much better caller and actually enjoys his hoops.

Reply #596902 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Surley 7 will show some interest, loved Casey during the olympics he is great!

Reply #596934 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Has Rucker been cleared?

Also, please tell me the Carfino addition is a joke? Granted some of his commentary can be amusing regarding officials calls, but his clear lack of any research and understanding of players outside the top 10 is horrendous.

Reply #596936 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Basil is fine, don't know why people don't like him

Reply #596939 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

I think Carfino is a good commentator. He knows the game, knows the players (mostly) and has a bit of charisma.

Rucker is a bit the same. Knows the game well and has a bit of personality. Heal is not bad as well.

Combine that with some of KET's ideas and I think we have a winner.

Reply #596961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You lost me when you suggested basil zempilas

Reply #597108 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Zempilas was absolutely awful when he was doing games for 7 back in 02/03.

Reply #597110 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I guess Basil probably has some kind of B-grade profile nationally, which is something in his favour.
I agree with anon above who suggested Adam Papalia as an alternative. he's not as well known but I rate his knowledge and his calling pretty highly.
That's if we can't talk Dennis into it of course ;)
#legend

Reply #597125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I sure as hell hope they don't bring back the NRL and AFL commentators. Let those that truly know basketball call the games to give its much better experience for everyone.

It shits me hearing them call the locker room sheds!

Reply #597133 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Shane Heal, Derek Rucker, Homicide and Carfino are all quality colour commentators. The 3 man commentary teams were great last year and allows a mix of views so hopefully they do all games like that.

Reply #597135 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Get rid of homicide please

Reply #597137 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Homicide and Carfino are all quality colour commentators.
Carfino is, at best, okay. Homicide is one of only a couple of things that will ever make me turn a game off.

Reply #597138 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I've liked Tommy Greer when ever I've heard him on commentary (a few games last year and the World Cup).

Reply #597146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greer was very good. Homicide should only be served up in small doses

Reply #597157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754