40th Street Black
Years ago

Super A Grade Social Competition

Adelaide needs a social competition for A Grade players.

I've seen some A grade comps and you might get two good teams and 8 'Unco' teams with football players that fall back into the social 2-3 zone......

If a BASA Committe could get it together I would suggest a strong A Grade comp would do very well.

You just need a few sponsors to put in some funds to make it worth while.

For example,

winner gets $6,000.00
2nd place $2,500.00
3rd place $1,500.00
4th place $750.00
5th place 45 Dim Sims from the Imperial Room

Wouldn't be too hard to get some sponsors to kick in the dollars, league naming rights etc

Whaddayathink?

Topic #3987 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Have a look at the Sydney Basketball League.

Attracts some NBL/ABL players, has prize money and sponsors. Games have stats, players of the week, etc. I think there are at least a couple of Kings development players in there (Barlow, Dann, etc).

The league supplies all officials. You just pay to register ($25 insurance, $60-80/year per player, etc), and then show up to play. They record full stats (points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks).

A few months ago I was looking at the viability of running something like this and talked to a few people on the forum who are more heavily involved in local clubs, etc. Would be a great addition to the Adelaide basketball scene, IMO.

Reply #46336 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

Monday nights at Wayville you will find Al Green, Mark Davis, Darren Breeding, Coleman brothers, Andy Simons, Greg Olbrich, Steve Breheny,Adam Peck, Scanlons, Graham Kubank, Dave Smyth, Mark Sykes, Chris Stirling, Ninny was playing before moving, all playing on various teams.

Whilst not super quick the league is pretty competitive with most teams suiting a current fringe ABL player too.

Reply #46341 | Report this post

Co  
Years ago

What about the same for a womens comp. the Sturt div 4 team consists of some very experienced women that kill the much more junior women.

Reply #46374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea....as an ex player I would be really interested in this. The most decent league I have found is run by the Salvation Army at the dome. This is a few years ago now, but they had decent umpires and players that took the game fairly seriously (but not over the top)

Reply #46426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does someone want to explain to me the difference between a social competition and district.

If you want a competitive game where teams don't "fall back into the social 2-3 zone" play district. I think you'll find most reserves teams have several fringe ABL players. (wink wink)

Reply #46428 | Report this post

But the difference between a reserves/ district competition and a 'super social competition' is that the players talked about above "Al Green, Mark Davis, Darren Breeding, Coleman brothers, Andy Simons, Greg Olbrich, Steve Breheny, Adam Peck, Scanlons, Graham Kubank, Dave Smyth, Mark Sykes, Chris Stirling, Ninny was playing before moving, all playing on various teams" can play and have no affiliation to any district club. No training 3 times a week, no junior commitments (unless they want that) just a game with there mates at a high standard of competition. and not taking any kids position on a ABA list.

Reserves/ div 2 is for the 18-22 year old guys/gals that haven't quite made it yet and are still committed to developing there game to the ABA standard.

Reply #46453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

div three, div four district...?

Reply #46454 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

What about the SACBA (church) They have a couple of grades and the top grade at mars on Saturday is a reasonable level. All but one team plays man each game, rarely a zone. There are even a few dunkers in that comp.

I don't know if you need to be aligned with a church association, and this may clash with aba commitments, but maybe in the off season, generate enough interest and maybe rival another basketball association!

Reply #46475 | Report this post

SIr Spark  
Years ago

Oh good lord...DUNKERS! Its almost expected that more than half a team can get up there these days, from u16's upwards.

This super social league does sound good, especially cause of Greg Olbrich, that man is a god

Reply #46482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dunking in u18 div 2 warm-ups, and throwing it down in traffic during a game are quite different.

I am yet to see a dunk in 18's ball. (fast break's and warm-ups don't count).

Reply #46484 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

The ones I am refering to are in game dunks on players, not shifty warm up dunks that even i can do...

Reply #46491 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anonymous (#46426) - which team did you play for in the Salvation Army competition? They run a national carnival as well and are on the lookout for recent players for current/future carnivals.

If you don't want your details on-line for all to see, send them directly to Isaac and he'll pass on to me. Thanks.

Reply #47258 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754