KobeSux
Years ago

SA Premier League Awards

Haven't seen all the award winners posted but heard a whisper Creek didn't win the Woollacott? Is that a real thing? I can't recall a more dominant season in recent times.

Who did win the awards apart from Kirksey Woollacott?

Topic #39888 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Basketball SA would like to congratulate the 2016 Halls Medal winner, Olivia Thompson from Forestville Eagles Basketball Club and 2016 Woollacott Medal winner, Nelson Kirksey from Woodville Warriors Basketball Club, acknowledging them as the best and fairest players in the 2016 Premier League season.

The medals are determined based on a game-by-game 3-2-1 referee voting system, along with a number of other awards highlighting individual performances of the 2016 season.
Nelson Kirksey battled it out with Mitch Creek from Southern Tigers for the Woollacott, finishing with 50 votes ahead of Creek's 45. Kirksey polled 12 first preference votes, 6 second preference votes and 2 first preference votes, while Creek polled 11 first preference, 5 second preference and 2 third preference votes. Mitch missed two games throughout the season, which was one of the key factors that saw him miss out on the Medal.
The Merv Harris and Frank Angove Awards for the Best and Fairest players under 21 went to West Adelaide’s Tahlia Fejo and Sturt’s Isaac White.

West Adelaide’s Tim Brenton won the Coach of the Year Award for the women’s league, while Sturt’s Paul Rigoni won the men’s award.
Full story

Reply #598227 | Report this post

KobeSux  
Years ago

Interesting selections there. At least I agree on the U21 awards & Female winners!

Reply #598228 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

How can a coach go only dropping one game this season,
with a team who finished with the wooden spoon last year (yes a few new recruits),
PLUS gets his team into the Grand Final in his rookie year and NOT get Coach of the Year. #baffling #typicalSAbasketball

and before the tall poppies start chiming in... Premier League regardless of what you think is a semi pro league. If they have money for a few new recruits then why not. DN deserved that award more than PR.

Reply #598239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phantom, you do know the coach of the year is voted on by the coaches, delegates and captains of the premier league clubs in a 3-2-1 format don't you? Therefore is has nothing to do with BSA.The other clubs clearly don't agree with you

Reply #598247 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

thanks anon, I am aware of that and I'm not having a go at basketball SA. They only collect the votes. I am expressing my disappointment at the people who voted and the I guess almost asking the question what more does a coach have to do to win the award?

Same thing happened a few years back in the women's comp with Norwood coach SP not getting the aware after the perfect season.

Reply #598249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, baffling. I like both coaches, Paul Rigoni is very good value. But this year the award should have gone to Dean Nyberg.

I don't like ABL teams spending coin but, at the end of the day, rumours had it that they were paying their last coach massive money and he didn't sniff the finals. Big turnaround this year.

Reply #598263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My vote would probably go to Mee who only really had 1 player without any disrepect to the rest, Darren whilst can still shoot it on occasions is on his last legs and they lost a hell of a lot of experience from last year. The other finalists had vastly better lineups and apart from choking at the line should have knocked off sturt last week. Outside the top 4 noone else really had an outstanding season, probably the most disappointing was Cunningham who went with youth and they looked out of their depth and didn't look promising for the future.

Reply #598287 | Report this post

Triton 73  
Years ago

On the Men's side I think they just about have it right. Creek unfortunately from a Woollacott perspective had a handy player in the team who would have pulled votes away from him. I would have thought Kirksey was the favourite before the count.

As for coach of the year it is a toss of the coin - Dean with a stacked team being so dominant or Paul having to use what he had to get to the GF. I tend to go with Paul but Dean is unlucky.

Interesting men's MVP - how many played consistently in the position named - seems like the best five players to me.

Reply #598353 | Report this post

KobeSux  
Years ago

I don't know that you can say he "used what he had" when they were fighting for a playoff spot before DJ came on board. In fact before he played, Sturt were in 5th. I'd say outside recruits have had just as much to do with their run as they have had with Southerns season.

Seems like the positions for both boys & girls All Star 5 were a bit arbitrary, but I think both captured the best 5 (or close to) for the season.

Reply #598363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754