koberulz
Years ago

NBL website usability issues

This was supposed to be one of the big things that was going to get fixed, and after a lot of hype...seriously, it's worse than the BA version.

99% of my use of the website back then was fixtures. Which are now in that stupid eCal format that makes them utterly useless for actually using, so I barely go to the website anymore. Went to try and sync the ABC schedule to my phone's calendar, and after an hour:

In Firefox and Chrome on desktop, I click on 'schedule', then select the fixtures I want. Click 'add', a semi-transparent black overlay covers the screen, and...nothing happens.

The same occurs in Dolphin and Chrome on Android once you get to the schedule page, but that's significantly more difficult. The top bar of options isn't present at all in Dolphin, and the menu is positioned directly over the NBL logo that links back to the home page and a link to Twitter:

Clicking in that area has only ever resulted in me being sent, completely incomprehensibly, to the league's Facebook page.

In Chrome, it's much cleaner-looking...because none of the navigation is there at all:

The big selling-point of this new website was better use on mobiles. Again, the old website beats it for usability even in that format by an absolute mile.

Topic #39968 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Email the NBL with any concerns, can't be fixed via venting on a forum.

Reply #599545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they should quietly tweak the navigation because it's terrible right now. Don't wait for a full redesign, don't announce a redesign, just improve the worst bit of it.

I went from visiting the NBL site very regularly to almost never at all because the navigation is so poor. Said it before, but it's a particular shame as their graphics and social stuff is great.

Reply #599546 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Making it work is important, making it look great is also nice but more important is a reason to visit the site in the first place...

Reply #599552 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I wonder what happened to the idea of a Basketball.com.au website encompassing NBL, NBA etc.

Reply #599553 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

My kids like Facebook I think its crap.
I rely on this forum for basketball news.
Was a regular user of nbl.com before I found this site

Reply #599554 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

It's probably the worst webpage I've ever seen as far as functionality and user interface goes.
It's just all over the shop and nothing works.

Reply #599617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have to agree the website is awful and just no logic or flow to it. Never seems up to date. Stats sections is also terrible cant even fit in one screen have to scroll accross form the bottom. live stats did not work for the the game just played. very disappointing. Hope BA are aware

Reply #599618 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would BA care?

Reply #599620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why care about starting every topic KR? Court designs? Hell you know it all. Way too much time on your hands

Reply #599631 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

To be fair, the NBL website sucks

Reply #599632 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Stats sections is also terrible cant even fit in one screen have to scroll accross form the bottom.
I also can't find any link anywhere to the historical statistics page, so stats only go back to four or five years ago.

Reply #599633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the idiot that keeps bagging out koberulz for the most ridiculous reasons? He started a thread about the NBL website. Good, it needed to be discussed as it's terrible.

He started a thread about court designs. It was a decent effort of him to do his own designs and share them so it could be discussed. Nothing wrong with that at all.

He started the "why Team X will win the title" threads. They didn't get great traction but in a close league then it's fair enough to discuss the title chances of all eight clubs.

If him using the forum for discussing things irks you that much, maybe you are the one that needs to make better use of your time.

Reply #599678 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah, I think the bashing needs to calm down - it adds nothing of value tbh

Reply #599680 | Report this post

NBL #1 Fan  
Years ago

I enjoy reading what Koberulz has to say, great his is contributing and good to see other people's views.

Reply #599690 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hi Koberulz

The historical NBL results (1979 to 2013-14) can be found through this link:

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-189-0-0-0

Reply #599703 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

PS - that link allows you to navigate through to player statistics for each year as well as game results, ladders, etc. You can also find career stats for players for teh period concerned.

Reply #599704 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I know, I have that page bookmared. But it should be possible to get there from the NBL site.

Although quite a bit of it is wrong. I believe it lists Matt Burston and Matthew Burston as different players, ladders are often inaccurate or incomplete, etc.

Reply #599709 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a great page. Last season is the only one without stats on there. Such a shame. I hope the NBL rectifies that or at least creates their own page with every season's stats.

Reply #599710 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #599720 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Sorry koberulz, misunderstood your post

paul - I agree, it'd be great if something like that happens. I wonder if there's any IP issue that might prevent it. Perhaps that's why it hasn't happened already, given it seems so sensible?

Reply #599722 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

koberulz - I'm impressed you found the ABC standings. When I click on 'Standings' next to the ABC header on the nbl.com.au front page, I get shown last season's NBL standings. I haven't found any way to navigate to the ABC standings.

Reply #599723 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Found the link on Twitter. No idea if it's possible to get there from the website somehow.

Still...HTML tables aren't that hard.

Reply #599724 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754