Anon
Years ago

Brisbane Spartans out of SEABL for 2017 Season

Announced via SEABL website, Brisbane Spartans Men & Women to sit out the 2017 SEABL season due to financial reasons and to give themselves time to build a long term future for the club.

What impact will this have on the league?

Topic #39987 | Report this topic

spot up  
Years ago

It'll reduce travel costs overall, so that's not a bad thing.

Out of interest - were the Spartans considered to be of a higher standard that the teams playing in the QBL? (Genuine question, I have no idea..)

Reply #600068 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NO, Many QBL teams, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane Capitals, Mackay would match Spartans.

Reply #600070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much for the new Bullets team being a partner with the Spartans.

Reply #600071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fwiw I think the Spatans men this season were much stronger compared to recent history.

Reply #600079 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

fwiw...I think that at one point they were a step above the QBL.. maybe not above some of the clubs mentioned above... but being in Brisbane, were a little more accessible to Victoria. I would have thought Rockhampton could've been included as a Premier QBL side.

There's some shaky stuff happening with what I would've once considered solid clubs in the SEABL & QBL... Spartans, Knox, Kilsyth, Chargers, Frankston & Bundaberg to name a few.

Reply #600331 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Young Gun, those 'shaky clubs' are highly likely to have one thing in common which has caused their issues, that would be financial instability, I would suggest.

That's the SEABL's greatest weakness and one of Australian sports' biggest hurdles for impeding growth, isn't it?

Reply #600350 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Weren't the Spartans considering an NBL application at one point? lol

Reply #600351 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Any more info on what's going on at Kilsyth? Knox seem to have come out the other side of their shocking situation from a year or two ago..

Reply #600358 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

@bear.... you're right about financial instability... but I'd argue that financial instability is largely a symptom of governance & leadership issues.

Reply #600421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Young Gun, that also would be highly likely true in many cases, not just in these circumstances but for a significant number of sporting organisations that fail to get their finances right during any particular season.

Leadership and governance comes first, I agree, you have to get these things right and the best people to be involved need to be sought!

Sometimes expectations are not within the capacity of a club and if people making the big decisions don't do their due diligence the whole club can suffer for years before they get back on track.

Reply #600423 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sorry, that^ was me...

Reply #600424 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754