Aussie
Years ago

NBL Television ratings on Foxtel

STV NBL #FoxSports Fri Illawarra v Adelaide 23k Sat Sydney v Brisbane 35k

Are these figures ok? Or down on last season?

Topic #40042 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

anyone hear crowd figures..

8500 in mel and 12,700 perth...

Reply #601401 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

8032 in Sydney

Anyone know Brisbane's and Illawarra's?

Reply #601405 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

The Hawkes look like being a great team to watch this season. There stadium is fairly small so they really should be selling out their venue evey week.

Sydney and Melbourne looked over hyped. They'll need to play a more attractive style of game and live up to the hype to make fans come back and bring their friends.

Reply #601413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks continue to hide crowd figures like last season.

Reply #601418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most people watching on Nbl tv, how is that measured, lots got rid fox when premier league went.

Reply #601421 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"They'll need to play a more attractive style of game and live up to the hype to make fans come back and bring their friends."

I think Perth have shown that the game style is not what gets large numbers to games. Their home games regularly feature dominant defences, low scoring, poor shooting and slow on-court play. However, they seem to provide a lot of non-basketball entertainment, they market extremely well outside of games and they get the crowd strongly involved during the games. Most importantly, they win a lot more often than they lose.

It seems to me that the quality of basketball just has to be okay, not top drawer, to get big crowds. The exciting, attractive basketball is more important for getting TV audiences to tune in and stay tuned in.

Reply #601437 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Would love to here streaming numbers from China and India?

Reply #601445 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Hawks 3247 (almost capacity, they have an area curtained though).
Brisbane 7000
NZ 6500

Reply #601448 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

If united don't fire their crowds will drop off sharply.

There is no loyalty to the United brand. Most of the hardcore tigers folks are long gone.

Reply #601466 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good to see that attendance for Brisbane.

Reply #601471 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Aussie, those figures are around the average for last season I think. I am not sure that the Fox Sports viewership matters anymore though. NBL.TV, SBS, and the Chinese numbers probably have a bigger weighing on the financial health of the league.

Reply #601473 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Regarding crowds in Brisbane, 90% or more of the games in the Convention Centre will sold out, with the game on Sunday plus next weeks getting very close to being gone. Hopefully this can help push up viewing number on Fox. But like ME said above, Fox Sports viewing number may have become somewhat irrelevant at this stage of the NBL's development.

Reply #601477 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Also, many people are dropping Foxtel and going for online subscriptions like Stan and Netflix. This means that 35 and 20K this year is much better than the same numbers in the preceding years.

Foxtel is dying and the NBL is very smart to already transition to online. They just need to improve and perfect the streaming service now.

Reply #601478 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Believe it or not, the "Foxtel dying" is a myth.

It's been reported a few times in the media lately, that subscriptions are actually increasing well.

Reply #601479 | Report this post

Charon 19  
Years ago

Hawks not doing a good job at hiding it #601418

First sentence of the match report on hawks.com.au - 3,247

Looked, felt and sounded bigger than that. Didn't seem to be many empty seats on either side. There's more corporate boxes this year which has removed about 7 rows of seating at the curtain end.

Reply #601487 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Believe it or not, the "Foxtel dying" is a myth.

It's been reported a few times in the media lately, that subscriptions are actually increasing well.

Don't believe their spin, they're losing subscribers at a rate of knots and have been recently fudging their figures by including everyone that has ever signed up to a free Presto trial deal as a 'Foxtel subscriber'.

Presto was a huge failure and the Seven Network ripped all their funding out of it recently so Foxtel are closing it down.

Foxtel were already losing a lot of subscribers, even if you didn't know the figures look at all the free installation, no contract, price reduction stuff they've been doing over the last year or two.

Netflix just hastened their demise and losing the rights to the Premier League soccer to Optus just means they won't last much longer.

Reply #601503 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I would say probably 80% of the people I know that had foxtel 12 months ago, do not have foxtel now myself included.

Reply #601516 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

You should hear how Foxtel call center workers are when given any suggestion that I might shrink my package or end the service!

I can't really see Foxtel being a 'thing' in 10-15 years. But my problem with streaming sites is you never seem to get that true HD quality picture.

Reply #601517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foxtel's churn rate has increased but their subscriber numbers are steady at just under 3 million. The declining thing is indeed a myth at this point anyway.

Reply #601522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just as a comparison, W-League (womens soccer) rated 33k yesterday, so similar current average to NBL.

Reply #607600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754