Jumpshot
Years ago

Kings v Breakers 20/10/16

Powell looks disinterested. Bryson is a liability. NZ to win by 5.

Topic #40109 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Powell doesn't look disinterested to me, I think people totally read his game-face wrong. I sit right behind the Kings bench and you can tell from his interactions there
(as well as his IG) that he seems pretty well invested in the team so far.

Always a tough game in NZ, and I expect Webster to incrementally improve each game following missing most of the pre-season. Hoping for a close one no matter how it shakes out.

Reply #603002 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hopefully Vukona's pumped up for his 300th and he gets in Powell's face!

NZ by 3.

Reply #603005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Vukona vs Powell will be very interesting, following the Worthington incident last week

Reply #603011 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I find Powell very strange, in that everything he does off the court seems like he is all in with the Kings. Every thing he does off the court seems like he doesn't want to be there.

Reply #603013 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

^should have been Every thing he does on the court seems like he doesn't want to be there. My Bad

Reply #603014 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Probably loves playing and hates training ;)

Reply #603015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Powell has put up stats and the types that say he isnt afraid to go after it. Dont get him confused with the like of Storey and Young from the NBA too. He clearly cares and has already offered more than some imports.

Reply #603022 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Powell looks good.

Maric did some nice things in the last game too.

Won't be enough court time to go around once Khazzouh gets back. Nice problem to have, I suppose.

Reply #603023 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The Breakers have been hot and cold early, I guess the same can be said about most teams, if not all of them at this stage.

I think the Kings can win this one and upset the home team but not if the Breakers are in that mood they can get into on their home court, where they can't be touched.

I am looking for the Kings to grind it out and stay with the Breakers to make it a tight one, but if they allow the Kiwis off the leash early it may be over 'Red Rover'...

Reply #603027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the best D the Kangz have played in 10 years

Reply #603030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garlepp GOAT

Reply #603031 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agreed, only 1 Q but that's probably the best 10 mins of D I've seen from the Kings since the days of Goorj...

Reply #603032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney dominated that Q, should be up more than 5

Reply #603033 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Powell is a problem.

Reply #603034 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Powell looks legit

Reply #603035 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Put your head down and fucking dunk it"

Wise words, Henare.

Reply #603036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Putting the dominance on the board now

Reply #603037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ imports look like trash

Reply #603038 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Whittington is going to lead the league in steals.

Reply #603039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Corey Webster so trash so far this season?

Reply #603040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penney has fallen off a cliff defensively. I don't know if he was ever any good, but last few weeks he's looked awful at that end. Prather scored on him at will last week and Newley has scored him twice in the post already.

Reply #603041 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Whittington is NBA calibre all over him. Man, he's good

Reply #603042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ to miss the finals. Imports and Penney/Webster being trash

Reply #603043 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Because he's a one dimensional player, who's shot isn't falling

Reply #603044 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol @ Tommy on that foul "What did I do??"

Exactly Tommy, exactly.

Reply #603045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch beasting

Reply #603046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whittington is NBA calibre all over him. Man, he's good"

No chance

Reply #603047 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bryson has at least one boneheaded drive per game.

Reply #603048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Bryson

Reply #603049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good pass Bryson

Reply #603050 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Let ourselves down the last 3-4 mins there, should be up more than 8.

Reply #603051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Powell plays. How people perceives that is anyones opinion. He may look disinterested apparently, but who cares.

Reply #603054 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Watch Powell on every screen and boxout and tell me he's not trying.

Reply #603056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Powell putting on quite a show

Reply #603057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney just might be legit this year

Reply #603058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:0000000000000

Reply #603059 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ok, to be fair: Bryson is good for one bonehead drive AND one amazing block a game.

Reply #603060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boxouts maybe, Powell's screens are a joke. I wouldn't be happy if he was on my team with that body language

Reply #603062 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Something tells me you wont have to worry about that, anon

Reply #603063 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

and Michael Bryson SAYS NAY!!!!!!

Reply #603064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus strikes me as the kind of dweeb who would get beaten up at school every day and then go home and be a hard man in COD forums.

Reply #603066 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Oh hey look, its the McQuade troll....

Reply #603067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop giving Anons a bad name, bold Anon

Reply #603068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodside a bit too passive for mine, NEEDS to be slashing to the hoop to be effective

Reply #603069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's impossible for a Gaze to be a bad coach

Reply #603071 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Will we even see Bo Liu in this game? He will probably come on with THREE SECONDS to go do one throw-in to statisfy the Kings Chinese masters.

Bryson has been better in this game but he is LUCKY that Brett Brown is not coaching here or he would have been back to the airport QUICK smart you better believe it, Brown was familiar with the guy selling coffees at the airport because he was always there after sacking another dud import.

Reply #603072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's the McQuade troll? Someone else who called you out for being an insufferable douche? Or someone you pwned in the COD forum while wearing a fedora?

Reply #603073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mock is here. The Chinese hater.

Reply #603074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It might be blasphemy for NZ fans, but I would be starting Mitchell and Webster and bringing Vukona and Penney from the pine

Reply #603076 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, nah. Sorry Anonymous. Not even close.

Reply #603077 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

NZ look good with Woodside running pick and rolls with the big men. Should keep it REAL simple and get the limited big man diving to the rim.

Whittington is an all around GUN who will get Sydney some wins on his own. Good player!

Reply #603078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can a ref please tell all of the Kiwi players to SIT THE F down. Oh how about wearing the correct uniforms. All that black leggings stuff is meant to be illegal. This applies to all other NBL teams as well.

Reply #603079 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Carls Jr is in NZ?? This is a REVELATION to the Mock

Reply #603080 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I DO NOT care for the school playground style buzzer at NZ Zbut overall the venue is sound and vERY loud when those MAD kiwis get a sniff of victory

Reply #603081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Mock. Clearly you have never watched and NBL game in NZ previously.

Reply #603083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze must be thinking coaching Sydney isn't so hard lulz

Reply #603084 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Powell looks the goods. So does Woodside.

Penney struggling. Just signed a 3 year deal too.

Not writing off the Breakers just yet though, cos the Kings look great, I read this game as telling us more about them. If Powell keeps this up, look out NBL. Not many weaknesses on this squad with him beasting inside.

Reply #603085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you have enjoyed 4 years of Cedric Jackson, players like Ben Woodside and Kerron Johnson do not cut it.

Reply #603086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Powell looked disinterested again hah don't ever be a scout for my team, geez.

Reply #603087 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

wrong ANONYMOUS i was just commenting on it. the MOCK has travelled far and wide and has seen NBL in 4 cities including the great PERTH which has the best atmosphere

Reply #603088 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As a NZ fan; i'd admit were not too flash this year. I don't think our roster is too good either.

Personally Ive never rated Henare and now his lack of coaching is going to show up. He won NZNBL titles with pretty good rosters. He really got the Breakers HC gig by default.

Reply #603102 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Wordsmiths, please note the important difference between 'disinterested' and 'uninterested'.
If you want to describe Powell as involved/uninvolved with the game and his team then 'uninterested' is probably the word.
If you want to suggest Powell is merely an embedded observer, in no way a protagonist in a competitive situation, that is as they say 'a whole new ball game'.

Reply #603104 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Powell can look however he likes. He's a very solid import in this league and so is Whittington. 2 out of 3 aint bad.
The weakness I see in the Kings is PG depth. If anything happens to Lisch or he strikes foul trouble there's zero behind Cadee.....and Jason is still growing into the spot at this level. That's why I think Bryson is in big trouble. They should be looking for a pass 1st guy who's a great defender and putting Bryson on a plane home.

Reply #603114 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The best move for Sydney to make is no move. They're playing great defensively..offensively they're gelling. Good signs.

Reply #603116 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

You can always improve, particularly when you have an import who's not cutting it and rapidly losing confidence in himself. If he's not going home then Bryson should forget about shooting the ball, they don't need him to, and work on his handle and defence.
A great defensive guard(either someone else or Bryson working to be that guy) to go with the 2 quality combo guards they already have and this is a Championship team, with big Jules just icing on the cake when he gets back

Reply #603118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As I said earlier Muck you have never watched a NZ game.

Reply #603121 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Didn't rate Henare's timeouts tonight. And yes they are clearly missing Cedric. The guy is so underrated, and Webster will struggle a lot more without him running the show next to him.

Reply #603126 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agree on Bryson - if he sticks around, he doesn't ever need to drive into traffic with the ball or create in the half-court. Shoot wide open 3s, take any easy opportunities that come, and otherwise just get your freakish blocks and steals and play solid D.

Reply #603127 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I had the Breakers finishing 4th most of the bookies had them second to bottom. I think they might end up being closer to the mark.

Reply #603129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel still bottom ;)

Reply #603131 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

All the bookies had Cairns finishing bottom, I had the 36ers bottom though.

Reply #603132 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

and as I said earlier Anonymous you are WRONG and you are a COWARD

Reply #603133 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Kings need a legit import point guard ASAP.

Reply #603147 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

In all honesty, while they're winning, (or even if they pick up a loss or two, if the team is still clicking but just get beat on the night by a better team) I'd be reluctant to swap out Bryson... Seems to be a good fit within the playing group and even though he's probably the most underperforming import in recent history (that hasn't been cut), the risk of disrupting the team when they're just starting to click is too great...

I'd agree with Angus that he needs to change his focus... He's not going to make the NBA taking one shot per game and fluffing most of everything else (apart from that standard awesome block per game!) but if he comes out and works hard on that defensive end and actually get into position to make some easy shots, then it will work out better for every body...

I only managed to catch the last quarter, which obviously wasn't their most impressive one of the 4, but still, great to see things clicking, as the talent was always there, just needed to have the players buy into their roles... Fantastic seeing different players stepping up at different times as well... Lisch doesn't always need to be the only go to guy, unlike what we had to rely on with Chill for most of last season...

Reply #603151 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

As for a legit import PG, I agree that they definitely need a pass first guard to back up Cadee, who is actually coming along pretty nicely, considering how much he likes to shoot, and we have a local spot left... still... which hopefully hasn't been taken up by Prewster...

Harder to get a local PG though than an import one, but getting an import one might risk stuffing around team chemistry...

Reply #603153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" I'd be reluctant to swap out Bryson."

Too late!!

Reply #603160 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

The only other thing I'd change at the moment is to tell Maric that unless he has both feet set under him he's not to shoot the ball under any circumstances :) He shot a couple of nice little set shots last night and also is solid from the free throw line but anything where he's moving or involving any sort of athleticism he looks completely stupid and has missed badly. The guy is a solid pro and just needs to stick at what he does well.

Reply #603161 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, just goes to show that I have no clue what's going on... lol...

As long as they actually have someone ready to go... If you're gonna be ruthless, you might as well do it properly... I don't want to drop the next couple of games because we're having to run with both Prewster AND Moller!

Reply #603173 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754