Jerkin' Gherkin
Years ago

The Kings are buying a ring, how tragic.

Oh boy...

I know there is a soft cap but wow.

Maric
Newley
Khazzouh
Lisch
Powell
Blake

You are telling me those names aren't blowing the 1.1 million dollar soft cap alone? Seriously. Sydney would be over the soft cap by about 1.5 million.

it's your typical "can't win, so buy a ring" situation. Bandwagoners already showing.

Topic #40186 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How else do you win games and a championship?

Reply #605169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric - still finding his feet
Newley - breaking out
Khazzouh - has not played
Lisch - injured
Powell - shows some form but still improving
Blake - looks the goods & will dominate

Reply #605171 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Those 5 wins just feel hollow now. Let's just cut all our guys and recruit a dozen 18 year old development players and watch their progress over the next decade instead.

Reply #605176 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

the only thing missing is a coach with 6 assistants and two chequebooks

Reply #605178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think OP is jerking a bit too much

Reply #605181 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

They're allowed to "blow" the soft cap. It's professional sport. Every team should be trying to put together the best team they can.

Reply #605183 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

What's tragic is the fact that you want to complain about it: "Oh no, the Sydney Kings are too good for me to handle!"

Are they good to watch? Yes. Then who gives a flying fuck?

Melbourne United have tried to buy a championship each year that they've been in the competition, but they've failed miserably because they insist on the wrong mix of players and a terrible coach. The Perth Wildcats have been buying championships since the early 10s, nabbing imports that the rest of the league couldn't even afford.

The soft cap exists so that teams can buy championships; quit being a little girl about it. Sydney didn't invent buying championships, and most teams who try to do it don't succeed anyway. It still takes cohesion, chemistry and coaching to win the chip.

Reply #605186 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

That is the system of the NBL. 1 year deals and most of the best imports move on after that so it's spend big, win a ring and then off they go

Reply #605187 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think Jerkoff underestimates the value an overpowered team has on the league. For instance, teams are already looking to find parity with the Kings,with an ax swinging over heads of Rotnei Clarke, Devin Williams and Michael Holyfield right now. If the competition wasn't so fierce, those players would have no issues. But right now they're being forced to put up or shut up. And that is because they're competing with Kings imports.

And then there is next year to think of. Sydney will have to pay into the league's fund for the underprivileged teams the amount they went over the cap, so will Perth and Melbourne. The uneven playing field of today will be somewhat equalized next year and the entire league will improve because of Sydney's decision to, as you say, "buy a ring".

I still laugh at the notion of "buying a ring". Do you think the teams are put together just to have a bit of fun? This isn't a social league.

I think AngusH's sarcasm says it best:

"Those 5 wins just feel hollow now. Let's just cut all our guys and recruit a dozen 18 year old development players and watch their progress over the next decade instead."

Reply #605191 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

The Kings are yet to play the top teams, so I don't think they have the ring yet.

Reply #605196 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't see the problem. If a team wants to bring quality players into this league then I'm all for it. Spending big doesn't always result in a championship...just look at United.

I like the fact that Sydney are winning games, they have had a rough run since they re entered the league. As long as they aren't going to be getting into financial trouble as a result of spending big on players then I can't see a problem.

It's also good for the NBL as the luxury tax generated will benefit other teams.

Reply #605197 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're also bringing talented players to other stadiums which doesn't hurt the league. A few people might show up in Adelaide to see Newley, Blake and Powell, for example.

Reply #605199 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Agree with Isaac, the potential for drawing fans of the NBA that might not have any interest in the NBL is also pretty big.

Reply #605202 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Baller#3 - Agree but I think a big difference with the Kings this year is that they've spent up big on local talent for the long term...

So while it is very likely that we will lose all three of our imports, we still have Newls and Lisch for two more seasons, Cadee for one and a team option on Maric...

Success this season both in a winning games sense and team harmony and actually not being a basketcase team for a change, might actually help with next seasons recruitment as well, being able to add some younger depth in some spots, etc, so it's not all about doing whatever it takes for this season, hopefully that can be spun into future success as well... Which, if you take JvG and Drewie at their words, is what they are striving for...

Reply #605206 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh no ... a team with a big stadium to fill is doing their best to fill it. How dare they.

Reply #605208 | Report this post

drewfan  
Years ago

how would the kings be going if DD was the coach????????

There is more to being a winning team than just players names!!

How many of the Kings players are exceeding expectations?

Cadee having his best yr, Newly winding the clock back, Maric was bagged in the pre season. A happy team with no issues and playing for the coach brings success.

Hater's, pls give the whole team some credit!!!

Reply #605214 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good on them for recruiting a really good team.

For all the talent, their early success is really built around their pressure defence. Let's see if they can keep having the same level of success with that as the year unfolds.

Lots of quality teams in the comp this year, I wouldn't be handing anyone the title just yet, even though the Kings have looked great so far.

Reply #605216 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The NBL is definitely on the up. The other day I got tickets for the Sydney game (nov 12) and its already looking packed.

But when it comes to working out the reasons why the NBL is on the up, we're all speculating really.

I don't have an issue with Sydney using the rules. We're a sub elite sporting code in the NBL. Question is. Are the rules sustainable and in the best long term interests of bball in this country? That I'm not really convinced of either way. I fear not, but not with a great deal of confidence either.

Reply #605218 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It will be sustainable if they can attract revenue. I guess one of their plans is to make the NBL viewed as a very high-level league in Chinese eyes in particular and capitalise on that. It's definitely worth a try, Chinese basketball fans love a bit of hero worship.

Problem is if they can't get Chines $$ or Aussie broadcasting $$$ the thing will eventually come crashing down, but let's be honest it was in a big hole before LK took over so this is definitely worth a shot.

We've currently got club owners with deep pockets and a league HQ that really puts effort into promoting its product. We've never had that before so touch wood it works out.

Personally, I think the next important step is for league HQ to direct how the game is called so players can show off their skills more. The scrappy nature of the NBL is not going to win over a large number of viewers.

Reply #605223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"how would the kings be going if DD was the coach????????"

They'd be going alright

Reply #605225 | Report this post

drewfan  
Years ago

love the above comment!!

Reply #605229 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, what the OP says is true, but what's the alternative?
As a fan, I like to see the same players stick around, but that pre-supposes the team is competitive. And the simple reality is that the NBL works completely on free-agency, there are no drafts or development zones.
For last year, the Cats looked at what they needed, went out and hired Jawai, Prather (and Kenny) and won a ring. This year, despite coming off a 'ship, we have two new imports (and almost lost Prather.)
In effect every team goes out each season and looks to put the best team they can on the floor.

Have Sydney gone way over the top? Probably, but maybe they assumed a few other teams were going to push the boundaries in a similar manner.

There IS a chronic lack of transparency and accountability about the NBL's new system. At the moment it stinks. But you have to blame the NBL for that. Yes, I can't fathom how Sydney signed 4 Australian stars, PLUS 3 imports, within the rules and without incurring a MASSIVE penalty. And yes, I think it stinks, and should not have been allowed, and IMHO goes against the "spirit" of the new rules, BUT again blame the NBL.
These are the changes the NBL introduced, and its up to them to enforce them, and impose the appropriate penalty "tax".

Personally, I have severe doubts about the integrity of this new system, and I think allowing this stench to hang over the league is a bad move.
But at the end of the day, the NBL has put a system in place, the same for all teams, and to date all we really know for sure is that Sydney are making use of it.

The "advantage" that Perth have, is that they are NOW self-sustaining. So they have a budget and they try to work within that, but its still much higher than say a Cairns or Adelaide. Sydney NEEDED cash tipped in by their new owner, and where do you draw the line on that?
Should they purposely have only tipped in enough to be mildly competitive without being threatening????

Now don't get me wrong. Some people have their heads in the clouds with whole "oh people will come to watch their team get the shit kicked out of them by ex NBA players." There is simply no way this is of any direct benefit to any team but Sydney.
But why should it?
Sydney's owners are responsible for making their team as good as they possibly can, just as others have been doing.
And, I do come back to the point that for the NBL to get traction in Australia as a televised (or streamed) sport, it needs a strong following in our biggest city. So in that respect is does indirectly benefit other teams.

Reply #605235 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I agree with Paul. I think development of the NBL to a profitable product is a process, and I think this is a stage of the process and given the way LK is operating, I wouldn't judge it on the way the NBL has failed in the past.

If the NBL is operating like this in the medium/longer term future, then much like in the past, teams will fall under their own unsustainable weight and other teams might fall as a result of being noncompetitive.

However, if this is a stage which drives the medium/longer term future to greater capital investment (perhaps from Chinese or other investors), greater revenue and greater interest then it may well be incredibly beneficial and sustainable.

On the assumption that this is a stage of the process in achieving the above, I am fine with teams - particularly big city markets like Melbourne and Sydney increasing the talent in the league and paying the $$$ to do so (so long as they are capable of it).

What I won't be fine with, is if in the medium/long future, it's always rich v poor, rich far outspending the poor in rosters. That would defeat the purpose of the league and competitive sport generally and you might as well have a finals series between the two-four richest clubs. Clubs needs to do their best to be competitive, and each club needs to be capable of resourcing to match each other when it comes to paying players.

Reply #605236 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree KET. That would just be a repeat of the 2000s most likely. I think it's also important the league understands the difference between standard and spectacle.

A lot more money is being spent this season but the games aren't any better to watch. In fact, for a most part they've been scrappy. Money needs to be spent wisely, and that means either in promoting the league or making the league better to watch.

Reply #605237 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

First thing in making it better to watch is 12 min q's plus refs need to be trained on allowing some fouls and travels to go uncalled ala NBA.

Calling all these cheap fouls on stars and basically sitting them on the bench. GTFO refs, you're drunk.

Reply #605238 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If the NBL actually made good on being transparent, it would clear a lot of things up... If the Kings (and Melbourne, let's not keep leaving them out of the conversation) are paying well over, then they get taxed... A lot of the hate is coming from the assumption that they're doing a dodgy, which considering what has gone on in the NBL in the past, it's actually a fair assumption, and the NBL's lack of communication and burying their head in the sand/ignoring it, is just making it look highly suspicious...

They need to set the contract review committee and be clear on how much tax will be distributed and when... No point in waiting until next season for teams that might suffer THIS season...

I don't know if 12min quarters are the way to go, because if it keeps being scrappy and soft useless fouls being called, then you're just going to have development players playing in the last 4-6 minutes, so the refs need guidance and consistently on how to call a fair, consistent and exciting game, that's the biggest thing holding the league back atm in my opinion...

Reply #605240 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"First thing in making it better to watch is 12 min q's plus refs need to be trained on allowing some fouls and travels to go uncalled ala NBA.

Calling all these cheap fouls on stars and basically sitting them on the bench. GTFO refs, you're drunk.
"

Why do people think 12 minute quarters are the answer? If a game is unwatchable, another 8 minutes - or half an hour TV time - of it wont make it any better.

I think they need to change the rulings to allow the offense to shine a bit more. It doesn't have to be big changes, but something that allows someone like Torrey Craig to soar through the air and feel like the rules protect him from being permanently injured or completely obstructed from it.

Reply #605241 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@Ricky, there's plenty not being called at the moment. Travels, three seconds, illegal screens galore. What needs to be done is to require a higher standard of refereeing across the board. There is too much inconsistency, which is what makes it most difficult for players to get going.
There are too many soft fouls being called.

It's wasy to suggest the players should adapt to the refereeing on a game by game (sometimes quarter by quarter) basis, but give them a break: a lot of the time, they're trying to adapt to a different game plan, or trying to stop being pushed around by Nate Jawai or AJ Ogilvy!

Allowing players to travel in the name of a spectacle is just silly. Great basketball can be (and is) played within the rules.

Referring to the topic of the OP, it's only tragic if the Kings are able to buy a ring by cheating. The only way I can see them to be cheating would be if they don't have five players whose total salaries are $400K or less. Hill, Garlepp, maybe Cadee... then who? Prewster isn't part of the roster, officially, is he? Wittington? He's a D-League guy, so could be on a lot less than Powell and Blake would be. How much is Khazzouh on? After that, you're starting to get into the guys everyone thinks are on the BIG money.

Reply #605242 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not about calling more fouls or less fouls, there's not a big difference in fouls per min from NBL to NBA (about 3/40 mins) it's about being more consistent about what is and isn't called.

You want players to know how what will be called each time they step on the floor, then they learn to defend a certain way, rather than just pushing the limits to see what will be called each night as many NBL teams do.

I agree with ME's last para, it's about allowing the offensive player space to use their skills by penalising defenders who get up-and-in, while allowing them to play positional D without being whistled for soft ones. Then you get a cleaner and more attractive game.

Reply #605243 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^ Well said, sir.

Reply #605244 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think rules and reffing can deal with scrappy behaviour. Call the game in a way that keeps the defence honest, allows the offence that little bit of extra space and not have to deal with that extra bit of physicality impeding movement/ability to lead to the ball.

I support the 12 minute quarters though. To begin with,stats are a huge thing in sports, particularly basketball. Blahblah Westbrook triple doubles etc. It's good for building a narrative. I also don't think extra minutes = extra junk time, I actually have always considered it to be extra substance time.

To me, there is that aspect that 40 minutes is too short, I think 48 is ideal to be honest. I'd also like to see introduction of 20/30 second timeouts, maybe two at the expense of a full time out each. Full timeouts draw out a game and kills atmosphere on occasion, 20 second timeouts tend to enhance IMO.

Reply #605245 | Report this post

Jerkin' Gherkin  
Years ago

haha, I expected nothing less here than misdirected anger and vitriol toward me for making that statement. No one is saying they shouldn't seek a championship, but when you blow the salary cap this much, you've got to question it. Also - Get a life, halfwits. it's just a comment, no need to wet your panties and run to daddies nipple because someone has a different opinion to you as this site is most famously good for, you're all just angry little children by the sounds of it.

you don't like it when people question the "system".

Reply #605250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

starts silly thread

comes back and spits dummy when people point out it's silly

Reply #605252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This site's members have an average age of 16. Don't worry Jerkin' we know the kings are cheats. Just don't tell Wookie. Wookie can't handle his beloved Bananarama-Kings being exposed. Thank God for spellcheck on here, hey kiddies? Or you'd be destroying grammar left, right and center.

Reply #605253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yawn at this thread.

Reply #605261 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If the NBL actually made good on being transparent, it would clear a lot of things up... If the Kings (and Melbourne, let's not keep leaving them out of the conversation) are paying well over, then they get taxed... A lot of the hate is coming from the assumption that they're doing a dodgy, which considering what has gone on in the NBL in the past, it's actually a fair assumption, and the NBL's lack of communication and burying their head in the sand/ignoring it, is just making it look highly suspicious...

They need to set the contract review committee and be clear on how much tax will be distributed and when... No point in waiting until next season for teams that might suffer THIS season...
100% Correct.
The bad smell is what I find annoying.
The NBL just needs to do what it promised, set up the committee, review the players, establish the values, and publish the results.
If they come out and say:
"We deem the Kings to be paying $2.5M as follows, Player X' is their local Marquee so that knocks it down to $2.2M, so their tax is $1.2M, total tax received from all teams is $2M and this has been distributed as follows..."
The majority of people will be happy.

The longer this drags out, the more people will become convinced that the NBL has dropped the ball, that they have allowed Sydney to run amok, and can't reel them in.

Reply #605265 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Exactly... They could be doing everything by the book but it's the perceived wrong doing and their lack of action that is causing the damage... If they even came out and gave a deadline for when it was going to happen that would be something...

Reply #605272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my reading of the rules you are allowed four players on either marquee or imports, so if the Kings are paying four players $300g each less 50% reduction that ends up $600g, leaving $500g left before they are over the cap for at present six other players. They might be over the cap but it ain't by much.

Reply #605274 | Report this post

Wildcat  
Years ago

I think they're shify and they're begging the NBL not to expose them... they're prob looking for ways to not pay as much as they should be in luxury tax.

Reply #605276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I agree it needs to be easier for teams to drive into the paint and score and those will lead to better ratings

Reply #605278 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

We've never had club owners with deep pockets before?

Cairns, Sydney, Brisbane - just off the top of my head, at stages had club owners with deep pockets. But when the money dried up....

Reply #605290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns Brisbane and Sydney all had owners with access to money. Just that it was someone elses.

Reply #605292 | Report this post

Wildcat  
Years ago

it will be funny to see King's when the money dries up. Hopefully they're buried for good. Maybe go back to the Razorbacks, who would be great to see back in the league Not this cocky, rubbish "We are kings" garbage. Terrible franchise.

Reply #605293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha yes I can't wait to see the Kings gone, hopefully with arrogant Melb and Bris soon behind them and NZ can piss off out of the aussie league too. The sooner its just Perth, Adelaide + 2 regional teams the better. Imagine how much depth each team would have when theres just 4 teams it will be a superleague.

Reply #605294 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

In my reading of the rules you are allowed four players on either marquee or imports, so if the Kings are paying four players $300g each less 50% reduction that ends up $600g
...what?

If you're just going to spout random numbers, why bother?

Reply #605295 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"We've never had club owners with deep pockets before?"

I'd advise reading what I said again, Snooch.

"We've currently got club owners with deep pockets and a league HQ that really puts effort into promoting its product. We've never had that before so touch wood it works out."

Reply #605301 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I'm just waiting for the second Melbourne team, second NZ team to join and the Newcastle Falcons, Canberra Cannons and Tassie Devils to come back.

Reply #605305 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

So it's the combination of both that is the point of difference? Fair enough, touch wood it does work.

Reply #605308 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah exactly, we really need it to work this time.

Reply #605310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm fine with teams like Melb/Syd spending big and'buying' rings (or attempting to) if it means better players and teams in the league. As long as the luxury tax is appropriate and the money from it is being used effectively and being put back into the league and weaker/poorer teams.

Would be great for the league imo to have so much cash being spent by rich clubs, could help kick start a flow on effect to help build up the league.

big spenders = more cash going in league = more cash going to poorer teams from luxury tax = better players all round in the league = bigger crowds/interest from fans = more TV/sponsorship deals = more money for everyone = back to the start to restart the cycle

Reply #605311 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, we've had owners with deep pockets before, but that has not been matched by the league.
The Cowan Dragons fiasco being a case in point. He puts in the money, wins a ring, then cracks the shits and bails. Whether you blame him, the league, or both, its a bad look when your reigning champions don't bother coming back.

Things like TV deals are huge mutual commitments. No network (be it FTA, subscriber, or web) wants to effectively spend money advertising and promoting a show that may not be available next year. Hence LK's commitment to the league is important.

Reply #605313 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Suck it up. The cats and Breakers have DOMINATED the last 5 odd years with sprinkles from other team.

The Kings are now the BEASTS of the league. If this team stays healthy then they will easily take out the comp.

You cant compare them to United last year. The start United had was the biggest smoke and mirrors start i have ever seen. Landing 3s 2 feet behind the arc with a hand in your face was always going to dry up and everyone knew it.

Thats all United did, jack up 3 after 3 and won so many close games.

Sydney are completely different. We have EVERYTHING covered. Inside presence on offense in Powell and Maric, slashes in Newley and Lisch and deadly shooters in Cadee , Lisch and now Blake who is also a fantastic creator for his team mates.

This team has every base covered and most impressive is there D.

As i said, if they stay healthy, they win it easy.

Reply #605314 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In my reading of the rules you are allowed four players on either marquee or imports, so if the Kings are paying four players $300g each less 50% reduction that ends up $600g, leaving $500g left before they are over the cap for at present six other players. They might be over the cap but it ain't by much.
My understanding is that Marquess can now only be locals, which on its own I think is a good move.

IF a team had ZERO imports, they could have 4 local marquees. The first counts at $150k, the 2nd at $200k, 3rd @ $250k, and the 4th @ $300k.
So straight up, that only helps if your 4th highest paid local player is worth significantly more than $300k.
But Sydney have 3 imports, so currently only one player is a marquee.

One thing I don't know, is whether they will keep all 4 when Khazza returns? I assume he would be on injury waiver at the moment, so I assume his salary doesn't count?
SO maybe when he comes back they drop Powell? That would allow them to move a 2nd local into Marquee status.

But it still all comes back to the point that we are waiting on this "committee" to do its job and announce the numbers.

Reply #605315 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

oh, that looks great :-(
btw, I meant to say "keep all 3?"

Reply #605316 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Sydney fans are getting cocky, the Perth fans frustrated and the 36ers fans confident enough to take on the world one minute, pissed off the next.

Reply #605317 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

People just hate to see a team they don't barrack for winning ;). Perth has copped it for ages. Kings fans finally have something to brag about and are letting us all know about it lol

Reply #605318 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

IF a team had ZERO imports, they could have 4 local marquees. The first counts at $150k, the 2nd at $200k, 3rd @ $250k, and the 4th @ $300k.
So straight up, that only helps if your 4th highest paid local player is worth significantly more than $300k.
Does it? Is there any rule that says the 300k marquee player can't be the highest-paid, and the 150k player the lowest-paid?

SO maybe when he comes back they drop Powell? That would allow them to move a 2nd local into Marquee status.
Can you do that mid-season?

Reply #605319 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

That's the problem, no one knows any of the finer points. Hell, not a lot of the main points are clear and known!

I would assume not though... plus I doubt that they would drop an other player...

Can all the good Kings fans not be painted with the woofing brush because of a few though? ;) it's very hard to keep it in check as there hasn't been much to brag about since returning to the league...

Reply #605321 | Report this post

Wildcat  
Years ago

Tempo, you don't win anything easy you muffin top.

Reply #605323 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Does it? Is there any rule that says the 300k marquee player can't be the highest-paid, and the 150k player the lowest-paid?
Say what?
It doesn't matter how much they are "paid" (deemed by the committee) only the specified amount is counted.
So for 1 marquee its $150k, 2 its $350k, 3 its $600k. So those guys could collectively be "paid" $2M, only $600k is counted.
if you want to add a 4th marquee, that will be counted as an extra $300k. So if your 4th most valuable player is deemed to be only worth say $320k, you're probably better off taking the $20k hit and keeping the import option open.
Good question.
The original statement said "Any team may replace any one or more of its restricted player entitlements with an additional non-restricted marquee player." Is there a time limit on that?

Reply #605326 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Those numbers don't even go close to matching the ones in your earlier post.

Reply #605331 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@koberulz, how it works is: (for example) marquee players A, B and C are given deemed market values (DMV) of $400K, $200K and $500K.

In this case, the first marquee player's salary is deemed to be $150K. It doesn't matter whose salary it is. The second marquee player's salary is deemed to be $200K, irrespective of who it is. The third marquee player's salary is deemed to be $250K, irrespective of who it is. If a club wished to nominate a fourth marquee player, that player's salary would be $300K.

So, the total salary of the three players (as counted toward the soft salary cap) would be $600K, irrespective of whether player A, B, or C was marquee player 1, 2 or 3.

So, the club may be paying them that $1.1M, or somewhat less than what their deemed values are (and a private sponsor paying them hundreds of thousands to lick stamps, or something), but if the NBL's Contract Review Committee has deemed their values to be those I've mentioned, they are worth $600K to the salary cap.

This is what @Dazz was trying to present in his most recent post, he just did it inelegantly.

There are two salient points here, in regards to the Kings, and also in respect to another of the salary cap rules.

The first is that the Kings can only nominate one player's salary as a marquee player, as they have three imports (restricted players.) Teams can have a total of four imports and marquee players, for salary cap purposes.

The second is a question, rather than a point, which is: can a team claim a marquee player's DMV in their calculations of five players whose salaries must be no more than $400K? This would leave $250K between four players, and may be the only way Sydney could come close to fitting those five player salaries under $400K.

Reply #605388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ and maybe why they are going with only 10 on the roster.

Reply #605394 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Yeah, well that's another thing, isn't it. The Kings are definitely flouting that one. Is Prewster on their roster? There's nothing on their website to say that he is (yes, Wookie, I know you can't trust a team's website for all your information, but they're up to date with everything else that's going on in Kingsville.) They haven't released a statement saying he is, either. And they'ver released statements about everything else they've done.

Reply #605400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injury replacement for Kazzoo, is what's being talked about amongst the members re Prewster, but who knows for sure.

Reply #605409 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Those numbers don't even go close to matching the ones in your earlier post.

The first counts at $150k, the 2nd at $200k, 3rd @ $250k, and the 4th @ $300k.

So for 1 marquee its $150k, 2 its $350k, 3 its $600k.

Do the Maths.

Reply #605428 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The other thing we just don't know, if and when it happens, is how these "deemed" salaries will be assessed.
One of the problems with the points system, was that an American straight out of College, a guy who's been playing D-League for 10 years, an NBA veteran, or an import who's been playing in the SBL, were all 10 points. Then the best local NBL players were all 10 points, but a Brock Motum coming out of Europe was only 9.
So are they going to do something similar with these "salaries"? All imports are worth $X, etc?
How do you value somebody who's last gig was $1M+ in the NBA?

Reply #605429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 points. if there was a points cap now, how would they all fit. Anywhere.
No points cap, no effective salary cap, a soft cap and no accountability. Works well eh

Reply #605433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember for years people have winged about the NBL being poor quality, or said there needs to be owners with fat wallets, need to get star players, need more people going to games etc etc....

Sydney have a team with quality players who played in Europe and the NBA and have owners and sponsors who are cashed up and spending it. Melbourne too.

Why the hell are people now sooking and crying about "salary caps" or "buying rings"...... Was it only just 2 years ago we nearly didn't have a basketball league in Australia.

Spend up more and keep the quality and big names coming.

flip

Reply #605649 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^^ +1

If any rich dude gave a shit about the 6ers, and they had a loaded roster, most the clowns on here would be singing a very different tune.

Reply #605650 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This has become a virtual replica of the Gaze thread. I think if that's referred to, you can see what's actually indicative of the view by hoopsters.

This is the NBL we are talking about, because of the usual dire circumstances over the last decade and a half, most of us have an interest in the NBL doing well. Not just our own club of choice.

Reply #605655 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Exactly. If you really love your club, you'll have the best interests of the league at heart as well because your club ain't winning too many games without it!

Reply #605658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will find a way to crumble they always do.

Remember it's the way it SHATTERS that MATTERS :D

Reply #605685 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754