Anonymous
Years ago

Should players be given two fouls for a flop?

Very costly call by the ref today when he judged prather to have flopped when trying to take a charge. So he got one foul for a blocking foul and one for flopping.

The other ref was about to call a charge so at the minimum it was subjective and not worth two fouls. When you only have five that's a massive blow. Of course we don't end up having prather in overtime and lose. Frustrating

Topic #40281 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #607760 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I wish the refs would just let some of them go without feeling the need to blow the whistle at all. There are times, especially when back-pedaling (which is a perfectly legal thing to do), and at other times for that matter, when not a lot of contact is needed to make you lose your feet. That doesn't make it a charge, but nor does it make it a flop.
Seemed like a real mixed bag of interpretations during the one game today. It doesn't give the players much hope of doing the right thing when the reffing can swing around so dramatically within minutes.

Reply #607764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO. Get better refs if need be.

Reply #607772 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Its a stupid rule, and has never made any sense to me.
What its basically saying is that our refs are incompetent and easily deceived, rather than calling the actual contact, so we're going to increase the risk. But that presupposes they can distinguish a flop, which most times they clearly can't.

Firstly, they need to stop rewarding most flops. The killer is the inconsistency.
Then figure out a method for the refs to quickly confer, and if there is still doubt, then go to a "4th" (video) ref.

Reply #607776 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

No doubt Greg, Jessie, Shawn and Matty will be teaching Casey over the next week the art of flopping without getting caught.

So Yes, especially Perth players who get called for a flop! Prather should be ashamed of himself.

Too soon Perth folk? Loss still a bit raw. :-)

FWIW I also believe Chris Goulding, Brendan Teys, Mark Worthington and Nate Sobey should also be hit with 2 fouls when they flop!

Reply #607778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

every time they go straight for the T it is usually a legitimate offensive foul, every time...

Reply #607782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got no problem with penalising flops. I just think giving out two fouls is excessive. I believe in the NBA players get fines (as well as being named and shamed) I think this would be more suitable. Could even have a flop leaderboard if you want.

Reply #607806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, if you had a fines system, it could be something you go back and review on the film after the game out of the heat of the moment.

If the refs went back and reviewed the Prather incident, they'd see it was the type of call that they frequently call no flop on in most games. No consistency.

Reply #607808 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I didn't realise a flop was a foul, I thought it was just a warning, then a tech if it's the second time.

That's ridiculous calling it two fouls.

Reply #607813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a bad approach Wilson (re: a warning first). But no, this ref T'ed up Prather immediately (a guy who doesn't even have a rep of flopping). So he went from 2 to 4 fouls on the play. Over the top, IMO

Reply #607815 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

So much for home cooking in PER. CNS missed out yesterday too...

Reply #607816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys might want to go and look at the play by play for the 4th quarter. 5.12 C Prather Technical foul.

He only received 1 foul, not 2 like the OP has stated.

Reply #607862 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"No doubt Greg, Jessie, Shawn and Matty will be teaching Casey over the next week the art of flopping without getting caught.

So Yes, especially Perth players who get called for a flop! Prather should be ashamed of himself.

Too soon Perth folk? Loss still a bit raw. :-)"

I just cut myself on your edge!

Reply #607863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing that was so annoying about the Prather 'flop' was the other ref was about to signal a charge. He got half way through signalling it before stopping when he saw the other ref called a flop.

Reply #607870 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

... which is exactly why there needs to be way more middle ground on the charge-flop interpretation.
They don't need to judge every freaking incident as one or the other. Sometimes just letting the play continue would be the fairest outcome.

Reply #607873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You guys might want to go and look at the play by play for the 4th quarter. 5.12 C Prather Technical foul.

He only received 1 foul, not 2 like the OP has stated."

The system didn't record it. You'll note the play by play only has 3 personal fouls for prather and one tech - but we all know he had five fouls. The system probably didn't know how to handle a player being given two fouls on the same play!

Oh, and next time how about you check all the facts before you slander my name.

Reply #608006 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You don't have a name.

Reply #608007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous is such a common name. Have they slandered me dickface? Perhaps a group anonymous legal suite? So precious. So idiotic.

Reply #608008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You guys might want to go and look at the play by play for the 4th quarter. 5.12 C Prather Technical foul.

He only received 1 foul, not 2 like the OP has stated."

The system didn't record it. You'll note the play by play only has 3 personal fouls for prather and one tech - but we all know he had five fouls. The system probably didn't know how to handle a player being given two fouls on the same play!

Oh, and next time how about you check all the facts before you slander my name.

Hey einstein....(sounds like a perfectly reasonable name for someone such as yourself), maybe you need to learn to read a box score a little better:

Foul 1 2nd 2:19 C Prather Offensive foul
Foul 2 3rd 6:31 C Prather Personal foul
Foul 3 3rd 3.11 C Prather Personal foul
Foul 4 4th 5:12 C Prather Technical foul
Foul 5 4th 3:37 C Prather Personal foul

That would be 5 champ..... How about those facts chump?

Reply #608035 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gotta love it, a bunch of anons all insulting each other.

Reply #608065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still more substance than your rubbish Dazz

Reply #608066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Its a stupid rule, and has never made any sense to me."
- Dazz

Commenting on a stupid rule even though it is not actually a rule. I think I can explain why it has never made sense to you, buddy.

Thank you to the previous poster for checking through the play-by-play and putting this nonsense to rest.

Reply #608068 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Fact remains, it was a completely BS call.
Penney knocks Prather over, then Penney dives onto the floor, and it's Prather who gets called for the flop???

What shits me is this: Either that's a charge, or a block, so call the actual foul. Calling a flop seems to be saying "yes it was a charge, but you flopped, so I'm reversing the call."
As I said, call the actual foul. If its a block, fine, but calling a flop is just BS.

Reply #608072 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Commenting on a stupid rule even though it is not actually a rule. I think I can explain why it has never made sense to you, buddy.

So now you're claiming that flopping isn't against the rules??? The refs are just making this shit up???

Thank you to the previous poster for checking through the play-by-play and putting this nonsense to rest.
So you're thanking YOURSELF???

Granted, the OP was a bit strange claiming that there were two fouls, but I am simply talking about the flop rule. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I vaguely recall being a bit confused, because the ref seemed to make two sets of signals. At the time I actually thought he'd called a double foul, but maybe the flop and the technical were two separate calls?

I seem to recall that when it was first introduced, the first flop was a warning?
If you watch the replay, the ref is signalling a flop, then seems to take issue (maybe Prather mouthed off) and calls a tech? Not sure.

Either way, I don't like the flop rule. IMHO just call the foul.

Reply #608074 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth fans complaining about calls in Perth is delicious.

Reply #608077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it is, and is every bit as clueless as thinking that all anonymous posts are by the same person

Reply #608089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #006.... very quiet once owned arent we

Reply #608254 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754